07-12-2018 03:04 PM
38 12
tools
    I just picked up my Gear this past weekend. (Birthday present to my self) and I love it.. But just like my Gear 2 Neo, I hate the way it looks with the cradle just snapped on and the watch laying on it's side. I know the display stands we see at the stores are nigh impossible to get. So I was wondering as anybody thought about trying to do a 3D printed stand? The backing could snap into the stand and then the Gear S coud snap (or even possibly just rest on it to charge over night.. With websites like Shapeways. I am sure somebody could make a killing designing one..
    05-01-2015 11:11 AM
    I just picked up my Gear this past weekend. (Birthday present to my self) and I love it.. But just like my Gear 2 Neo, I hate the way it looks with the cradle just snapped on and the watch laying on it's side. I know the display stands we see at the stores are nigh impossible to get. So I was wondering as anybody thought about trying to do a 3D printed stand? The backing could snap into the stand and then the Gear S coud snap (or even possibly just rest on it to charge over night.. With websites like Shapeways. I am sure somebody could make a killing designing one..
    Congrats on the new device!

I haven't seen a 3D printed cradle as you are describing, so if you come across one, feel free to share it here for others to see.
    05-01-2015 12:09 PM
    see here

3D printed stands for the Gear S-11082996_937281392969859_44474616_n.jpg3D printed stands for the Gear S-11119028_937281402969858_1348225531_n.jpg
    Attached Files
    05-02-2015 03:50 PM
    Now if someone would decide to sell these on eBay I would buy one right now
    05-03-2015 04:52 AM
    various web shops you produce when you upload the STL file
    kieso likes this.
    05-03-2015 02:30 PM
    various web shops you produce when you upload the STL file

That is very cool. Does the actual charging base stay attached to it?
    05-04-2015 10:13 PM
    my charging cradle is broken . I glued it on the holder . I close the bracelet and the clock is loaded
    05-05-2015 12:48 PM
    Thanks for posting that file! A buddy at work printed it out for me. I had him change the angle so it faces foward more instead of up. That way I put it on my night stand and its a night time clock.

3D printed stands for the Gear S-uploadfromtaptalk1430861199324.jpg
    05-05-2015 04:28 PM
    The charger doesnt stay attached. You put the charger on the watch first and then strap it to the stand.
    05-05-2015 04:30 PM
    See I would buy an extra cradle and snip off the tabs then glue it onto the stand. That way I can just set it on. (Like the displays at the store.)
    sirCLD likes this.
    05-05-2015 09:13 PM
    See I would buy an extra cradle and snip off the tabs then glue it onto the stand. That way I can just set it on. (Like the displays at the store.)
    I doubt that would work well, if at all. When the tabs broke off on my first charger I tried to rig it so I could just set the watch on the charger and could not get it to work. Looking at how the watch and charger connect, I have a guess about why. There are 2 potential design issues: spring loaded pins and a push button switch. The weight of the watch is too little to compress the springs on the pins that make the power and data connections to the watch, there needs to be more force compressing the springs to get all the pins to make reliable contact. The second issue seems to be that the little button on the charger gets pressed when the watch is attached and seems to signal the charger to start supplying power to the watch. I suspect this is how the charger achieves the function of charging the watch battery first before it charges it's own internal battery. (To test this, push the button manually and you'll see the charger power light activate). Again, weight alone is insufficient to activate the button. You seem to need a firmer connection to activate the pins and button and get a reliable connection. I use a small clamp since the tabs have broken, but using the closed strap around this stand seems to work. Although I wonder if the larger strap opening when set for big wrists would still produce a reliable connection when put on the stand, or would you need to readjust the strap to fit the stand each time.
    05-06-2015 06:02 PM
    well with the charging base. I was thinking about getting the off brand one that is just a charger only with no built in battery....
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.
    05-06-2015 07:55 PM
    DonShock you can modify the STL file with a CAD program . then you can adjust it to your arm size .
    05-07-2015 01:36 PM
    Thanks for posting that file! A buddy at work printed it out for me. I had him change the angle so it faces foward more instead of up. That way I put it on my night stand and its a night time clock.
    please . looks good

you can the changed stl file upload for other users?
    05-07-2015 01:37 PM
    well with the charging base. I was thinking about getting the off brand one that is just a charger only with no built in battery....
    I bought a generic charger without the battery. Im going to glue/double side tape it to the stand and cut the top tab off. The watch strap pulls it snug to the stand. Its about the same size as my wrist so I dont have to adjust it. I plan on cutting the top tab off the charger and letting it sit on the bottom tab
    05-07-2015 01:53 PM
    --------------Warning-------------

I have one of those store holders at home. They have a magnet to keep the watch somewhat centered. This is to hit the connectors underneath. The spring action in the studs are also a lot softer than the original cradle. All off this is to use gravity alone to recharge instead of clips. And it is not always perfect....

So, do some testing, some thinking and stuff before you cut or snip an original charging cradle. Or else you might end up with having a dead watch in the morning....

Otterman out
    05-07-2015 02:26 PM
    --------------Warning-------------

I have one of those store holders at home. They have a magnet to keep the watch somewhat centered. This is to hit the connectors underneath. The spring action in the studs are also a lot softer than the original cradle. All off this is to use gravity alone to recharge instead of clips. And it is not always perfect....

So, do some testing, some thinking and stuff before you cut or snip an original charging cradle. Or else you might end up with having a dead watch in the morning....

Otterman out
    Where did you get one and can you get me one LOL Every time I go to BB I throw my watch on one of those stands. I really want one!!!! LOL
    05-07-2015 05:16 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1430861199324.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	484.2 KB 
ID:	175329
    Yeah I'd like that modified file also
    05-07-2015 08:31 PM
    Yeah I'd like that modified file also
    I'm trying to find (and learn how to use) a program to let me do my own modification to the original file. Looking at the side view photo in AnyStar's post above, it seems to me that it can be modified slightly to provide a solution for the broken charger clip issue. If the "top" and "front" edges were extended to form small arms that would slightly overlap the top and bottom edges of the watch, they could be used to press the watch against the charge as it was slid in from the side. This would give the slight pressure needed to get the charger pins to make reliable contact once the clips have broken.
    3D printed stands for the Gear S-anystars-side-view-modified.jpg
    05-08-2015 09:44 AM
    the red lines enough change
    Attached Thumbnails 3D printed stands for the Gear S-11095418_934951929850522_166705988_o.jpg   3D printed stands for the Gear S-11134284_937281399636525_1630762121_n.jpg  
    05-08-2015 12:18 PM
    Where did you get one and can you get me one LOL Every time I go to BB I throw my watch on one of those stands. I really want one!!!! LOL
    Honest to god story:

Last day before easter my cradle broke. I took it to be sent out for repair at the shop I got it. On my way home I stopped at a competing store so see if they had a new cradle for me. Shows they did not. But as I explained the problem a guy appear and introduced himself as the Samsung sales rep. I told him my story about going away on vacation, and not being able to use my watch. He tells me to wait, and goes to his car. Comes back 5 min later with a display bracket. He then disassemble the one originally in the shop, and gives me this. He then puts the old type he got from his car in the shop display. I was in a loss of words, cuz just the night before I told my wife how much I wanted such an item. After a while I asked how much they wanted for it. And here it comes: NOTHING. The sales rep only asked me to stick with Samsung in the future. And I will. Buildt a little stand for it, and now it resides on my bed side table.

That is how I got mine....
    05-08-2015 02:12 PM
    Honest to god story:

Last day before easter my cradle broke. I took it to be sent out for repair at the shop I got it. On my way home I stopped at a competing store so see if they had a new cradle for me. Shows they did not. But as I explained the problem a guy appear and introduced himself as the Samsung sales rep. I told him my story about going away on vacation, and not being able to use my watch. He tells me to wait, and goes to his car. Comes back 5 min later with a display bracket. He then disassemble the one originally in the shop, and gives me this. He then puts the old type he got from his car in the shop display. I was in a loss of words, cuz just the night before I told my wife how much I wanted such an item. After a while I asked how much they wanted for it. And here it comes: NOTHING. The sales rep only asked me to stick with Samsung in the future. And I will. Buildt a little stand for it, and now it resides on my bed side table.

That is how I got mine....
    Awesome story!

Support Our Troops !!!
    <><
    Beast Mode 4
    05-08-2015 02:15 PM
    Do you think he might be interested in sellin these? I'd love one in black!
    05-09-2015 10:00 AM
    I am planning a new holder . you can adjust it .
    05-09-2015 01:38 PM
    I am planning a new holder . you can adjust it .
    very cool keep us up to date.. Is this something you may put on shapeways?
    05-11-2015 11:19 AM
38 12