Hey guys very eager to buy a Gear S to go with my Note 4 but I had a few questions.

1. Tizen is a OS i don't know much about. how Android like is it? Is there a filesystem like on kitkart? Just drag and drop with no BS? Can i get apps from Google Play or does it have its own store?

2. Does it support flash? Is there a video viewer?

3. How tough is it? anyone cracked theirs?

4. Has the apparent problems with the charge cradles breaking been resolved?

5. How loud is the speaker? Loud enough to make calls in a noisy environment? Will i need to hold it up to my ear to hear others properly?

6. can i really leave my phone at home and just make calls on this no matter where i am that is such an alien concept!

Thanks!
    05-26-2015 03:52 AM
    1. As far as actually using the OS, there is little difference. But it does mean that the Play store is out and you have to get the apps from the Samsung Gear App store. You can use the USB cable and charger to connect the Gear S to your computer to drag and drop files if needed. But the Gear app that is on your phone can send music and photos from the phone to the Gear S via Bluetooth.
    2. There is an Opera Mini browser available but it doesn't have flash installed. Can't view Youtube videos either. I've not found any video player app to directly view a video file transferred to the Gear S either. Of course it would kill your battery pretty quick trying to watch a movie but it would still be nice to have the option.
    3. Pretty tough. I wear it doing DIY stuff all the time, mostly because I forget I have it on. I've rubbed off paint, drywall, and general dirt smudges with no noticeable effect. But don't risk it if you can remember to take it off. I've worn it in the rain and hand washing, but take if off for showers and swimming.
    4. Charging cradles still breaking on lots of people, no feedback from Samsung suggesting they have any plans to do anything about it.
    5. Speaker is plenty loud for normal environments. I answer calls with the TV still going, don't even bother to raise the watch near my face, just keep working normally with my hands. And I've inquired of people on the other end and they hear me fine and I hear them fine. Normal room noise and other people noises seems fine, but it's not loud enough to be used in an industrial setting or a noisy bar.
    6. Yes you can! There can be times when the call forwarding takes a while to turn on once you move out of Bluetooth range. But even when it looses both BT and remote connection over wifi or cellular, the Gear Only mode still lets you make and receive calls. It will just use the Gear's phone number instead of your phone's number.

Hope this helps. And FYI, I'm no expert. Just my experiences and my understanding based on what I've done with my Gear S and what I've read.
    geekaren likes this.
    05-26-2015 04:59 AM
    I agree with Donshock. I love my watch. Yes cradles are still breaking as mine just did 4 days ago. So I'm using a pop can for now but I'm going to get that 3d holder printed out soon and just super glue the cheap $15 charger onto it.
    05-26-2015 09:45 AM
    Hey guys very eager to buy a Gear S to go with my Note 4 but I had a few questions.

1. Tizen is a OS i don't know much about. how Android like is it? Is there a filesystem like on kitkart? Just drag and drop with no BS? Can i get apps from Google Play or does it have its own store?
    The way all the Gear's are supported the OS is transparent. Meaning, the apps provided and supported by Samsung are pretty much those that you can rely on in terms of depth and long-term support. Those include phone, contacts, S Health, schedule, music player, Milk, gallery, e-mail, messaging, voice memo, weather, instant settings, news briefing, alarm, find my device, S Voice, find my car, timer, stopwatch, compass, and calculator.

Some strong third party apps that make a huge difference and are well executed include Nokia Here, Nike+, Yelp, CNN, Opera Mini, Glympse, and News Republic. Most third party apps are pretty weak, not designed for the Gear S' elongated display, and "50%" solutions compared to what you'd expect if the "real provider" developed and offered an app. Examples being highly used messaging and social apps. To make up for the lack of interest/support from established third parties (which at this point could be considered intentional and permanent on their part) Samsung's made the notification's component of the Gear S very robust.

Here's the bottom line: what I mentioned and maybe a handful of other 50% apps are what you should expect to live with for the life of your Gear S. In Gear Manager you can sort app categories by "new." Doing so, across all categories, you'll find some pretty crappy third party watch faces, coin flippers, and half-*** games. So if the apps/functionality I've listed will satisfy you then you should consider a Gear S. Similarly, certain apps (messaging, e-mail, weather,scheduling) only integrate with their Samsung phone-based counter parts. Meaning, if you use the native Gmail client and Hangouts you won't be able to use Samsung's mail/messaging apps on your Gear. I use Samsung's stock apps on my phone because I like them and the added Gear S functionality is impressive. So caveat emptor, non-Samsung provided phone apps end up as "notifications" with limited interaction capabilities via the Gear.

There are XDA developed kluges that allow you to get better notifications/interactions but it's not the same as the integrated feature set you get when using Samsung's phone apps. Similarly, trying to get GM to work properly on a non-Samsung phone makes me wonder why people even bother. Personally, given a choice between Android Wear's "notification centric" design working well or trying to use a Samsung Gear in a kluged manner I'd pick the former.

2. Does it support flash? Is there a video viewer?
    No flash support including in the Opera Mini browser. The gallery app plays videos.

How tough is it? anyone cracked theirs?
    The fact the display is so large makes it a bigger target to accidentally hit against things. I had a Gear V1 that I used for eighteen months without a scratch. I have a screen protector on my Gear S and I see tons of marks and lines where I've scraped it against something. It self-heals but I wonder based on the number of "hits" my watch face has taken whether the screen would have scratched without a protector or if GG3 would have saved it. I don't think the Gear S is frail, but it's a big target for potential damage.

4. Has the apparent problems with the charge cradles breaking been resolved?
    The Gear S is dead to Samsung. Just like the Gear, Gear 2, Gear 2 Neo, and Gear Live before it. We'll get s/w updates but I'd highly doubt we'll see a Gear S II with h/w improvements. Next up is the Gear A and it'll do things the Gear S won't. Then its h/w will be abandoned when Samsung chases the next bright and shiny wearables object on the horizon. You really need to accept that what you're buying is what you'll be living with; warts and all.

5. How loud is the speaker? Loud enough to make calls in a noisy environment? Will i need to hold it up to my ear to hear others properly?
    You can actually carry on a decent conversation from you wrist. The mic is particularly impressive. Volume's kind of soft but passable in all but loud ambient conditions. I use a Gear Circle so that when my Gear S isn't connected via BT I can make and answer calls through it.

6. can i really leave my phone at home and just make calls on this no matter where i am that is such an alien concept!
    Yes. And that's the number one reason (along with not needing to be attached to a phone via BT) I and other's got a Gear S. Next up in priority would be display size and comfort. The curved display fits under shirt sleeves well and just feels more comfortable to wear. Outside of those things and a handful of apps not available on earlier Gear's the Gear S is pretty much just an evolved Gear.

Happy deciding.
    geekaren likes this.
    05-26-2015 10:49 AM
    I've found some well done apps that extend the ability and desire to leave my phone at home. My Notes in Gear, Calendar, a Bible, just to name a few. As written above, the Samsung apps such as compass, calculator, etc add to the standalone experience of my S. There aren't a gazillion apps like Android and Apple offer on their stores but there are apps available, such as Gear Notification Extender, available on the Play Store that enhance the remote connectivity by expanding your notifications and ability to reply to more than just embedded communication apps.
    As far as it seeming totally new, scroll down to the history part of this http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartwatch
    I agree with Barry above in that don't look for anything spectacular to change and improve on the S but at the same time the last firmware update added a bunch of relevant additions along with improving stability quite a bit. It's not the save watch Cnet and others touted as a flop initially.
    I got my first smartphone to use like a pda and I use my S more like a pda than my phone, often not even taking my phone with me. Being able to make abs receive calls/texts/emails without my phone present is just bonus points
    Oh and battery life is 2 days minimum for me.

Support Our Troops !!!
    <><
    Beast Mode 4
    05-26-2015 05:56 PM
    Hey Mountain, out of curiosity, since my Gear S is ATT and my phone carrier is Verizon, is there a cheap prepaid SIM that'd work with the Gear S I could get to give a shot too? That way at worst, if I didn't have my phone handy, I could at least contact friends and let them know who it is sending them message/call.
    05-26-2015 06:53 PM
    Hey Mountain, out of curiosity, since my Gear S is ATT and my phone carrier is Verizon, is there a cheap prepaid SIM that'd work with the Gear S I could get to give a shot too? That way at worst, if I didn't have my phone handy, I could at least contact friends and let them know who it is sending them message/call.
    There's a thread on here where the originator used his watch as a total standalone using a pre paid T-Mobile card for a few months. Other than that I have no idea about pre pay pricing on carriers. I might be totally wrong here but I think T-Mobile is $15 a month, standalone, and there's no contract involved.

Support Our Troops !!!
    <><
    Beast Mode 4
    05-26-2015 07:20 PM
    There's a thread on here where the originator used his watch as a total standalone using a pre paid T-Mobile card for a few months. Other than that I have no idea about pre pay pricing on carriers. I might be totally wrong here but I think T-Mobile is $15 a month, standalone, and there's no contract involved.

Support Our Troops !!!
    <><
    Beast Mode 4
    Only $5/month on T-Mobile if you already have a plan with them.
    05-26-2015 08:35 PM
    Only $5/month on T-Mobile if you already have a plan with them.
    I don't believe that includes voice. I believe it is only to share the data of your main line. Voice would be charged extra...a lot extra.

Posted via the Android Central App using the Note 4
    05-27-2015 10:15 AM
    I pay $5 a month through Verizon
    05-27-2015 10:45 AM
    I don't believe that includes voice. I believe it is only to share the data of your main line. Voice would be charged extra...a lot extra.

I pay $10 for unlimited voice and text and share my data allotment with my phones line.

Support Our Troops !!!
    <><
    Beast Mode 4
    05-27-2015 02:52 PM
    The $5 T-Mobile Gear S plan includes unlimited voice and text, and 500MB data (unique to the watch). It's not a shared plan, just discounted to $5 "when paired with a compatible Samsung Galaxy smartphone on a qualifying Simple Choice plan.*"
    Samsung Gear S & Data Plan Bundle | T-Mobile
    sirCLD and mountainbikermark like this.
    05-27-2015 03:46 PM
    I pay $10 for unlimited voice and text and share my data allotment with my phones line.

Support Our Troops !!!
    <><
    Beast Mode 4
    Jealous...

05-27-2015 04:36 PM
    The $5 T-Mobile Gear S plan includes unlimited voice and text, and 500MB data (unique to the watch). It's not a shared plan, just discounted to $5 "when paired with a compatible Samsung Galaxy smartphone on a qualifying Simple Choice plan.*"
    Samsung Gear S & Data Plan Bundle | T-Mobile
    And here I thought my $5 a month add on for sharing data was kick ****!! Ha!

geekaren likes this.
    05-27-2015 04:41 PM
    If I could have gotten the Verizon one for 180 like I did the ATT one, it'd have been a different matter, but since everyone looking to sell the Verizon one was pushing well close to or over 300....oh well. How much would it be on ATT if I have nothing to do with them to begin with?
    05-27-2015 08:02 PM
    For people making comparisons of the Gear S add-on plan they kind of have to take in to account the price of the core plan they're adding the Gear S to. Pre-Gear S I paid AT&T $89 for 7GB of Mobile Share data (along with unlimited voice and text) for use across my phone and 3G tablet. That includes the $15 per device monthly fee but doesn't include the $41.20 Next 12 installment monthly payment for my Note 4. I own the tablet. AT&T had the Gear S for $149 with a two year agreement. It's $10 more on my plan monthly but for two years I'll have paid a combined total of $389 for both the Gear and all its voice, text, and data usage. WIth a qualifying plan a T-Mobile or VZW Gear at $5 a month and a $350 purchase price would have been $470. So AT&T was the best deal, at least for me.

On T-Mobile you get to purchase a wearables add-on plan that has its own individual voice, text, and data allotment only if you already have a certain qualifying plan for your phone(s). In looking at some of those core device plans both VZW and AT&T have better "share deals" if you use above 7+GB of data and have multiple devices on your account.

So comparing the Gear "add-on" cost in a vacuum isn't particularly valuable as each person here's overall mobile device needs from their carrier is different. Candidly, I wouldn't have gotten a Gear S if I couldn't use its remote voice, text, and data features. And I wouldn't pay more than $10 a month for that privilege either. So for me it was a matter of the planets lining up that caused me to buy it.
    geekaren likes this.
    05-28-2015 12:14 PM
    As far as video players go, there is an App called basic video player. It doesnt play all formats but it plays mp4's. Also xenozu is a good youtube player. I really dont use these much though, cause honestly if im gonna watch something Ill do it on my phone and they will kill your watch battery.
    05-30-2015 09:49 PM
    I pay $5 a month through Verizon
    Ditto.
    05-31-2015 05:23 AM