Are you still using the Gear S?

Jamez Avila

Banned
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I hear that Nike+ plus and sHealth are now combined, which slows down GPS tracking to a crawl, so that is something I don't want to update. I think Samsung should make updates optional, not force customers into them.

Plus some users have issues with their SIM cards suddenly being blocked by the networks. Not saying there is any correlation, but hearing this makes me weary of changing anything on my watch.

I've updated and everything is running fine. I haven't noticed any battery drain issues. I'm still charging it at night daily, nothing different than before. SIM card is not affected by the update.

Jamez Avila

Banned
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I've updated and everything is running fine. I haven't noticed any battery drain issues. I'm still charging it at night daily, nothing different than before. SIM card is not affected by the update.

And when I say that I charge it every night, I don't have to but I do it out of habit. It last two days.

maj71303

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Just got mine last month and it is much more useful than android wear IMO. The fact that calls can be forwarded to the device automactically when I leave the range of my cellphone is so much better than always having to carry the phone with me. If other than apps IMO the Gear S is better than android wear.

mark_stagg

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Hi.. I too am looking to purchase the gear s as my next upgrade. . I have read in some posts about call forwarding when the phone becomes out of range from the watch.. my question is do both the phone and watch require a sim card to run this function.. reason I ask is it would be very expensive to have two contracted sim cards.

Posted via the Android Central App

Jamez Avila

Banned
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi.. I too am looking to purchase the gear s as my next upgrade. . I have read in some posts about call forwarding when the phone becomes out of range from the watch.. my question is do both the phone and watch require a sim card to run this function.. reason I ask is it would be very expensive to have two contracted sim cards.

Yes it does. The Gear S has its own SIM card which is how it can make and receive calls on its own. It can operate without the SIM card but then you won't be able to use the autoforward feature. The carriers don't charge you the same amount for a smartwatch SIM...it's only like 10 bucks added to your plan.

Flashfox

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
1. So I am here to ask if people that bought one continue to use it and if so how often do they wear it?
I use it every day. I travel around the world and this is my watch unless I am in an unsafe area. Then I wear a cheap Timex ;-)

2. What are the Pros and Cons of the watch?
Pros: It's also a phone with it's own number, excellent battery life, acceptable selection of apps, excellent integration with my Samsung Note 4.
Cons: The dock/charger is garbage. Very fragile and easy to break (been there, done that twice). Bought several cheap spares on Amazon. No battery but just fine as a charger. Limited selection of Gear S specific apps.

3. Would you buy it again?
No... not because it's a bad watch but because of the new crop of watches that will be coming out between now and Christmas. I had a Moto360 and the only reason I replaced it was because the Gear S is also a stand alone phone.

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Uncheck auto update in the Samsung apps store and also make sure auto update is unchecked itself. I forgot to uncheck the Gear Fit Manager, it updated, it isn't working worth a hoot now.
Sorry to hear that :( So for the Gear Fit, Sammy uses a different manager? I use the same manager for the Gear 1&S, and the updated gear manager still connects fine with my Gear 1, it just wants to wipe my Gear S.

I have a feeling it is trying to push a firmware update on the S, because when I do a fresh install of Gear Manager, then try to connect my Gear S, it says it needs to download additional software (Gear S firware update, I fear), THEN it tells me it wants to wipe my Gear S without leaving me any option to refuse the update. It I select cancel, it just closes out the Gear Mgr app.

My Gear S works fine stand-alone (I do wish I could install the Instagram app, for which I'd need to connect to my Note 2) since I track my runs in Nike+ now. To me, the fast GPS lock and stand-alone phone capability is more important than interoperability with my Note. I wish I did not have to choose, but that's Samsung for you: always screwing up something. If they didn't make such great and visionary hardware, I would have left them long ago.

Also, glad you told me about the Fit and Manager problem, because I am constantly drooling over the Fit form factor, regardless of the fact that I have no need for it. It would be cool if they came out with a Fit 2 with the same form factor but better UX. Unlikely, huh?

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Nike+ with sHealth integration is my biggest concern. You may not be a runner, but if you are, did you use Nike+ before and after the upgrade?

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Sorry to hear that :( So for the Gear Fit, Sammy uses a different manager? I use the same manager for the Gear 1&S, and the updated gear manager still connects fine with my Gear 1, it just wants to wipe my Gear S.

I have a feeling it is trying to push a firmware update on the S, because when I do a fresh install of Gear Manager, then try to connect my Gear S, it says it needs to download additional software (Gear S firware update, I fear), THEN it tells me it wants to wipe my Gear S without leaving me any option to refuse the update. It I select cancel, it just closes out the Gear Mgr app.

My Gear S works fine stand-alone (I do wish I could install the Instagram app, for which I'd need to connect to my Note 2) since I track my runs in Nike+ now. To me, the fast GPS lock and stand-alone phone capability is more important than interoperability with my Note. I wish I did not have to choose, but that's Samsung for you: always screwing up something. If they didn't make such great and visionary hardware, I would have left them long ago.

Also, glad you told me about the Fit and Manager problem, because I am constantly drooling over the Fit form factor, regardless of the fact that I have no need for it. It would be cool if they came out with a Fit 2 with the same form factor but better UX. Unlikely, huh?

The Fit uses a different app, you are correct there. Instead of Gear Manager it uses Gear Fit Manager. The watch itself uses a different os than the other Gears and is more like an Apple watch I how it works than Tizen or AW ones. The work for most of a Fit, other than steps and time keeping, is done on the phone and the watch just shows the results, just like an Apple Watch. I could probably factory reset the Fit and it'd be just fine but I don't want to. You can find them for as little as $50 now and they are still worth at least that much to me for their form factor and the music player controls are much better than the S to boot. It's really a fitness band that gets notifications so if that's what you seek it's nice to have. I do have a few extra apps on mine that really enhance the phone butler ability.
The additional software your Gear S manager wants to add isn't a firmware update to the watch, just additional bloatware on your phone, but any install of the Gear Manager does want to factory reset the watch. I'd say back up your watch's data to your Samsung account and go ahead and update. A firmware update will be separate and will allow you to refuse it.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
You can find them for as little as $50 now and they are still worth at least that much to me for their form factor and the music player controls are much better than the S to boot. It's really a fitness band that gets notifications so if that's what you seek it's nice to have. ...

any install of the Gear Manager does want to factory reset the watch. I'd say back up your watch's data to your Samsung account and go ahead and update. A firmware update will be separate and will allow you to refuse it.

You wouldn't be able to control the Audible or Overdrive apps on your phone from the Fit by any chance?
Thanks for the firmware info!!
Ugh, to back it up I absolutely need Kies? :( My stomach turns at the thought of installing their crapware on any of my PCs :(

JRDEMASKUS

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I knew it before I bought it...But it was a good deal, and my Device Lust knows no bounds!
I get too dirty at work. Not only the dirt, and sweat, but the power tools count steps. I never cared about steps before.
I am taking off my watch and putting it in my pocket. The same pockets that were too dirty for my phone.
I traded my Nokia Lumia 1520 for a Note 3, but what I really needed was a Samsung Active.
I miss BT music Streaming to my headset from the phone. If I use the SD card or FM radio in my headset, I don't get notifications. (Sony MW1, Smart BT headset)
I still really want this watch to be a success for me, but leaving my phone home reduces my options.
However, I can go days without someone trying to contact me, and then when they do, I am in a dead zone! The watch has poor cellular connectivity.

BarryH_GEG

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
The watch has poor cellular connectivity.

When you think about how small the antennas must be and how close the Wi-Fi, BT, and cellular radios are to each other it's amazing it works at all. ;)

The way you use it you're probably better off taking the Gear out of its strap and putting it in a small plastic pill bag you can get in a drug store. That way it would stay clean in your pocket and you could still stream and take occasional calls without worrying about trashing it.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Nike+ with sHealth integration is my biggest concern. You may not be a runner, but if you are, did you use Nike+ before and after the upgrade?
The integration is done at the phone side, not on watch. The new S Health app (V4.0 or newer) can ingest fitness data from new Nike+ app on the phone. That's about the only thing that integrates.

Not all the phones are allowed to update to new S Health. My Galaxy Alpha is still running v3.5.

Messing with Gear Manager installation will often result in watch reset. Normal watch firmware update and normal Gear Manager update will never reset the watch.

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I hear that Nike+ plus and sHealth are now combined, which slows down GPS tracking to a crawl, so that is something I don't want to update. I think Samsung should make updates optional, not force customers into them.

Plus some users have issues with their SIM cards suddenly being blocked by the networks. Not saying there is any correlation, but hearing this makes me weary of changing anything on my watch.

Post delete… did a test run and figured it out

Last edited:

keefnet

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
I'm using mine but I have some issues;
I bought the watch via Amazon.com, unlocked - though now in UK, I have a Vodafone SIM but haven't ever got it working on the network, though I haven't really tried - I'll figure it out sometime, but not a priority for me. I did rejig my contract with Vodafone and got a nano-SIM 250MB/300mins plan for about £7/mnth..... but obviously not using it at all as I pretty much keep it with the phone so it's using that.
My 2 gripes in use: the watch face - when I have a custom face selected, the only way to get it to come up with that when I lift my wrist is to have the option set to show last display - personally I think that's a pain as I might have been looking at an email and if I don't reset the display to the watch before the display times out, I'll get that email when I flick my wrist and no time until I hit the button or swipe down to get back to the time.
My 2nd gripe is the touch screen - I would love an option to disable it - any developers out there wanna try making an app? Why would I want to do that - well, when I cross my arms, my right forearm is over the touch screen, and as I lift my arm the watch face comes on, then my forearm is swiping the display and I have ended up calling people on multiple occasions without realising it.... or the display goes into a menu or app list, whatever - if I could call an app that disabled the touch but maintained the lift to see time, then when I press the button it cancels the disable touch screen app, that would be awesome. Ideally I'd have an app that would function like this: lift wrist, see time.... swipe up, 1st app is "disable touch".. I tap it, screen reverts back to time and touch screen is disabled...... voila! My alternative is to cross arms the other way, or wear watch on right wrist..... even thinking about Pebble Time as an alternative i.e. no touch screen.
Anyway - this tech head does love the Gear 2, and now my Gear S, though the minor niggles listed above do grind my gears occasionally.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Did you just buy a US watch and use it in UK? If so, the cellular radio will never work.
show last screen is the only way and personally I wont use it without that option on.
There is no way to disable touch AFAIK.

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm using mine but I have some issues;
I bought the watch via Amazon.com, unlocked - though now in UK, I have a Vodafone SIM but haven't ever got it working on the network, though I haven't really tried - I'll figure it out sometime, but not a priority for me. I did rejig my contract with Vodafone and got a nano-SIM 250MB/300mins plan for about £7/mnth..... but obviously not using it at all as I pretty much keep it with the phone so it's using that.
My 2 gripes in use: the watch face - when I have a custom face selected, the only way to get it to come up with that when I lift my wrist is to have the option set to show last display - personally I think that's a pain as I might have been looking at an email and if I don't reset the display to the watch before the display times out, I'll get that email when I flick my wrist and no time until I hit the button or swipe down to get back to the time.
My 2nd gripe is the touch screen - I would love an option to disable it - any developers out there wanna try making an app? Why would I want to do that - well, when I cross my arms, my right forearm is over the touch screen, and as I lift my arm the watch face comes on, then my forearm is swiping the display and I have ended up calling people on multiple occasions without realising it.... or the display goes into a menu or app list, whatever - if I could call an app that disabled the touch but maintained the lift to see time, then when I press the button it cancels the disable touch screen app, that would be awesome. Ideally I'd have an app that would function like this: lift wrist, see time.... swipe up, 1st app is "disable touch".. I tap it, screen reverts back to time and touch screen is disabled...... voila! My alternative is to cross arms the other way, or wear watch on right wrist..... even thinking about Pebble Time as an alternative i.e. no touch screen.
Anyway - this tech head does love the Gear 2, and now my Gear S, though the minor niggles listed above do grind my gears occasionally.

Holy crap, that's genius… I have to always cross my arms the other way to keep from hitting the touch screen. I'd be happy to hit the home button to enable the touch screen if it means no more arm inputs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz