Help with exercise and s health

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I am trying to figure out how to start exercise (go for a run) where the phone tracks the data, but I can view my stats on the watch during the run.

Do I start the run on the watch? If I start my run on the watch, will S Health the phone show my map if I need to figure out where I am?

If I start my workout on the phone, will my watch show my info?

I went for a run the other day without my phone and it was perfect, all of the data was on the phone when I got home. But sometimes I want to take my phone for a longer run/bike and I need to figure it out.

Thanks in advance.

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
With Nike +, you can do everything on your Gear S and by swiping you can get to the map while you are running. It syncs with your Nike+ account when you are done.

I don't remember how this worked with sHealth, because I ditched it in favor of Nike+ to get faster GPS lock and have access to my data if my next phone is not a Samsung (which it likely won't be, since I like my SD card and removable battery).

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Do it on the watch. Start it on the watch.
If you need phone call ability and what not the watch will continue to run your s health run session while you're on the phone.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I am trying to figure out how to start exercise (go for a run) where the phone tracks the data, but I can view my stats on the watch during the run.

Do I start the run on the watch? If I start my run on the watch, will S Health the phone show my map if I need to figure out where I am?

Do it on the watch. If you are lost, you can always fire up Google Map on the phone or use Here Map on the watch.
If I start my workout on the phone, will my watch show my info?
No.

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Do it on the watch. If you are lost, you can always fire up Google Map on the phone or use Here Map on the watch.

No.
I was mapping using the watch once and wanted to know where I was on the water because land marks didn't look right. I opened Maps on the phone and found exactly where I was, over a mile past my destination goal, and the watch still mapping using S Health.
When I got back to shore I had my map on the watch, just did a sync to the phone and used the s pen to make notes onto a screen shot of way points.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Thank you everyone for the help. I have always used runtastic for my fitness and myfitnesspal for my calories… and I definitely hate the idea of losing my data if I switch platforms.

I may give Nike a try, but you have to admit that the S Health app is one of the best apps Samsung has ever made. I'll probably suck it up and just use my phone on hikes for making sure I'm on the right trail and my watch for runs.

Maybe runtastic will fix their app one day.

Thank you all.

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Thank you everyone for the help. I have always used runtastic for my fitness and myfitnesspal for my calories… and I definitely hate the idea of losing my data if I switch platforms.

I may give Nike a try, but you have to admit that the S Health app is one of the best apps Samsung has ever made. I'll probably suck it up and just use my phone on hikes for making sure I'm on the right trail and my watch for runs.

Maybe runtastic will fix their app one day.

Thank you all.
You can use the watch on trails but just have the phone with you in case you need a bigger screen to find your way. That's what I do when kayaking only I have the phone in a dry case that allows me to use its camera is why I carry it. The scenario I wrote above was just to see if it'd work since I was on an out and back excursion and could've just turned around.
Another reason I suggest have the phone with you is the GPS tracking works much more reliably in the woods when tethered to the phone and using the phone GPS and not the watch's.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt