Gear S off of eBay - worth trying?

shannonjcasey

Jul 25, 2015
Visit site
I decided to get a Gear S for the Sprint network. By the time I made the decision, they had all been pulled from Sprint stores and sent back. I spent a week making calls trying to find one. I even called Samsung who told me that they couldn't sell me one and there were no resellers.So where did all the returned units go? Out on eBay there were plenty of Gear Ss, but none for Sprint. Then suddenly some showed up, more than ten available, it said, and described as OEM new without retail packaging. I watched for days, and the numbers sold continued to go up. I saw no bad comments. When I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger, they were out. A total of 34 sold. The more than ten label had never changed. I see there are two out there now, same seller, probably someone reneged on the sale. Since I did not see any comments indicating that these were anything but OEM new and could be activated on the Sprint network, I was wondering if I should go ahead and take a chance. OR just wait for the Gear A to arrive (at a MUCH higher price). Thank you for your assistance.

JRDEMASKUS

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
That depends on your Device Lust and self control.
I knew before I bought the Gear S, that it would not suit my "Needs"
Basically, I have no needs, just wants!
My Device Lust won out with a good deal.
The device works well as a standalone cell phone or text messaging device.
Typing is frustrating, voice to text only works after pairing with a Samsung Gear S compatible device, cell reception is weak. Apps are few. Forget about working a dirty job while wearing your nice looking expensive device.
It is probably best used with a SIM card in both your phone and Gear S.
With all that said, I am happy I tried it. It fills a hole in my gadget ensemble. Phone, BT (Sony MW1) and now the "Smartwatch"
I am not sure what other smartwatches have to offer in functionality. But if you want a cellphone on your wrist, the Gear S is the device to get, if you can find a good deal. $200 or less is acceptable.

MedicD

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I bought a used AT&T version on swappa.com for $125 (got a great deal) and am using it without data on a VZW Note 4. I love it. If you don't need it to have its own cell signal, just find the cheapest one you can. This would have been worth it at $150 for me

JRDEMASKUS

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the Tip about Swappa. I didn't know.
It is nice to have another location to shop, though my CL addiction is getting the better of me.
That was a great price you paid!

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I paid $185 on ebay and I have zero buyer's remorse. It was Verizon, so you should be able to get a Sprint version or t mobile version for cheaper.

Posted via the Android Central App

MedicD

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah totally stoked about the $125 - zero scratches too.

T-mobile has a plan for $15/mo unlimited text talk and 500MB 4G. That's not if paired with an account, that's all by itself.