My Gear s flashing on and off

shawtylo1940

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
My Gear S, flashing from the home screen to the app screen and to the setting screen. This problem started to day, anyone out there having any issue.

Posted via Android Central App

Brian Faberge

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I have had this same issue for about a month now. When I reset it, which is difficult with the screen constantly popping up it will work for 3 to 5 days perfectly fine and then go back to doing the same thing. I have removed every app I had downloaded onto it also so it would not keep synching with my phone but it still goes back to the same issue. I feel like it possibly started after a software update but I'm not sure. I deleted the Gear app off my phone and reinstalled also. Confusing as to why it always works again for a couple days.

camblue

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I know a lot will prob not like this work around but, if you turn off blue tooth and the gear app,,,, the watch works fine and I have been running it for over a week with no screen flipping out problems. I used to have it every other day and now nothing. I know this stops a lot of the functions of the watch but most of it works.

cperrry1

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Ive been following this thread and I have to ask, after factory reseting are you downloading any apps? If so, could it be an app that is causing this problem? Also, when I had the first gear watch I had problems with massive battery drain, and I kept factory reseting and the battery drain continued. What I did was go into my phones app manager and delete everything assosicated with the gear, then I cleared the cache partition on my phone. It was like there were files that remained after the factory reset that were causing the problems.
Just a suggestion, give it a try and see if it works. Good luck

moody1940

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I know a lot will prob not like this work around but, if you turn off blue tooth and the gear app,,,, the watch works fine and I have been running it for over a week with no screen flipping out problems. I used to have it every other day and now nothing. I know this stops a lot of the functions of the watch but most of it works.

Then the watch wld be useful. No point in having the Gs

Posted via the Android Central App

camblue

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
ummm no,,it can still make and receive calls and text,,,internet works,,GPS location, news, weather updates all work,,,the only thing you dont get is the notifications that are from your phone that is probably arms length away LOL.

David Daul

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
Had the exact same thing and doing a reset did not solve. Here's how to fix it. I downloaded Samsung Kies and then that downloaded Samsung Switch. You plug your Gear S into the pc via your usb and then Switch guides you though a reinstall of the OS on the watch. Did a full reinstall of the OS. Fixed it.

camblue

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I dont get it but how did reinstalling the exact same OS solve the issue,,,and how long have you been running since this?

helterskelter65

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
Hello. I think i found the 'bug'

After a couple of hours of testing the Gear S i discovered that the looping issue is caused by the way the watch is handling notifications. Everythings fine when the Gear S is constantly connected with bluetooth and mobile network/wifi. The trouble starts when the connection changes from bluetooth to mobile network/wifi. When the gear is set to 'automatic on/off it will take a while to connect, about a minute with my gear. If a notification reach your cell phone during the time a new connection is set up on the Gear, there will be no connection. The flashing/looping of the screen starts when a bluetooth connection is re-established and the 'hanging' notification(s) are pushed to the Gear.

Solutions:

- disable notifications
- delete the notifications from your cell phone when connected with bluetooth, after that the looping stops immediatly
- connect to a network before you're out of bluetooth reach

Important note: this works on my Gear, no problems anymore since. Hope this works for you too, let me know!

sorry for my poor english...

Greetzzz from The Netherlands!

Last edited:

EXR32

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I've been having the same issues as everyone else with the Gear S.

I contacted Samsung Support via twitter and they want me to send in the watch to them so they can check out what the issue is.

Just wondering if that's actually a good idea...

camblue

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Has any of these actually worked for anyone?

Hello. I think i found the 'bug'

After a couple of hours of testing the Gear S i discovered that the looping issue is caused by the way the watch is handling notifications. Everythings fine when the Gear S is constantly connected with bluetooth and mobile network/wifi. The trouble starts when the connection changes from bluetooth to mobile network/wifi. When the gear is set to 'automatic on/off it will take a while to connect, about a minute with my gear. If a notification reach your cell phone during the time a new connection is set up on the Gear, there will be no connection. The flashing/looping of the screen starts when a bluetooth connection is re-established and the 'hanging' notification(s) are pushed to the Gear.

Solutions:

- disable notifications
- delete the notifications from your cell phone when connected with bluetooth, after that the looping stops immediatly
- connect to a network before you're out of bluetooth reach

Important note: this works on my Gear, no problems anymore since. Hope this works for you too, let me know!

sorry for my poor english...

Greetzzz from The Netherlands!

dbarnes2270

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Try uninstalling the the Gear Manager and every file associated. That means you want to go into your app manager menu on your phone and uninstall every app with the orange Gear logo. Do a factory reset on your Gear S, reinstall the Gear Manager and then connect. Also, do not restore any old backup files, they may be corrupted also. Apparently, there was an flaw in the previous to last update that's causing confusion in the software. It helped me.

Posted via the Android Central App

camblue

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Got to love all these people that chime in with a "fix" for the screen flashing on and off and yet never respond back to say if it truly works over an extended period of time LOL.