What is involved in selling my Gear S?

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I have TMobile and there's obviously a dedicated phone number with it. I have the unlock code to unlock it, then to sell it. I have a few questions:

1. Can only TMobile buyers use/buy this Gear S version?
2. If my buyer also has a TMobile account, would I still need to unlock it? Would the buyer use the same sim card? How would he/she activate it? By going to the carrier store?
3. If the buyer comes from another carrier, would he/she needs to have a non-TMobile sim card to use the device?
4. What would happen to my Gear S number?
5. If I were to buy another standalone smart watch from the same carrier, can I use my Gear S number?

Thanks in advance!

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
You need to keep your SIM card and number (you can call T-Mobile to cancel the line). Those won't be useful for the buyer. The SIM card and the associated phone number is tied to your T-Mobile account. So, unless you want to let buyers to use your account for free (while you pay for it), don't give them the SIM card. Once the line is cancelled, the SIM card is no longer useful and the phone number will be returned to T-Mobile to be recycled.

Only users in North America with GSM carriers (like AT&T and T-Mobile) can use your watch. If you don't unlock it, only T-Mobile user can use it. The buyer can get their own SIM card from their carrier.

A SIM card is an ID for your carrier account. Just like you don't give your driver's license to the buyer when you sold your car, you don't give your SIM card to anyone either unless it is deactivated (which became a useless plastic).

For countries outside of North America, your watch is useless because it lacks the band used in those countries.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
So I just spoke to a TMobile Rep Manager, and would like to share to those who are interested.

1. You can ask for up to 3 months temporary suspension of your Gear S number with a $10/month charge. Since I still have the $5/month promo, it's better for TMobile to continuously charge me the $5/month even though I may have sold my Gear S. They will reimburse me all of it when I reactivate the same nano sim card and number.
2. I can use the same nano sim card and number with a new standalone smart watch (Gear S2 or LG Watch Urbane 2nd Generation, both will use nano sim card).
3. All current Gear S watch owners are grandfathered in with the $5/month plan if they decide to buy the Gear S2 and LG Urbane 2nd generation.
4. As Foxbat121 said, no matter what, keep your nano sim card before you sell it. TMobile said you can use it for future devices that use nano sim cards.