Make Calls Using Google Voice or Google Hangouts In Opera Mini Browser?

Dankees

Trusted Member
Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
If I don't have a SIM Card in my Samsung Gear S, can I make calls using the web browser by visiting the web pages for Google Voice and/or Google Hangouts?

Any other options?

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
You do it using a Google Voice number, Hangouts and the Hangouts Dialer. You can make and receive VOIP calls on WiFi or using a data connection on your phone. So to save money, you could get a data-only plan for your phone and make all your calls using WiFi or phone data. I did for a while. Here's a pretty fair guide on how to use Google Voice, Hangouts and the Hangouts Dialer:

How to Use Google Hangouts For Free Wi-Fi Calls and Texts

Dankees

Trusted Member
Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Would doing this "trick" cause me to lose my main phone number? I can't do that, but would I at least have an option to make a call from my watch if I wanted to? Also, is there a way to have it so that my main phone number appears?

Angela Moss

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
No, I think your main phone number is safe. Hangout and other similar apps was designed to works on Voice-IP (that is call over internet), so I dont think it will cause any trouble to your phone number.

Dankees

Trusted Member
Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
But, wouldn't it cause me to lose my number if my phone was only used for data?

Anyway, I really wanna know if I can call from my watch, using Wi-Fi or Bluetooth (can I do both), and have it be that my real phone number shows up in Caller ID...?

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I think the replies missed one important point: it is only possible on phone, not on watch. So, the answer to OP is that NO, you can't use your watch to make calls this way. You still need your phone to do that.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Nothing will happen to your cell number unless you go data-only on the phone. It's safe as long as you have cellphone voice service. Google Voice effectively gives you a second phone number with a lot of very cool additional capabilities.

When you call over WiFi or data connection using your GV number the GV number will show on the recipient's caller ID. That cannot be changed.

I don't know anything about using a smartwatch. I'll take foxbat121's word that you can't call from the watch.