Is a new Gear S supposed to come with some power in it or totally dead? I just got one and I cannot turn it on. I will have to charge it, first. Could it be dead because it's been sitting for a year?

Would it be more surprising if it had any juice in it? Would that indicate it was maybe used and returned?
    11-21-2015 02:24 PM
    Not all new devices will come with some juice. Doesn't mean you have a used device.
    Dankees likes this.
    11-21-2015 02:34 PM
    I'm confused. If it comes without juice is that normal?
    11-21-2015 02:35 PM
    No that is not normal. Doesn't mean it's used, it could be it never got the test charge from the factory or has been sitting so long the battery has drained but either way you should return the device for another one that isn't totally dead. Nicad batteries it's not that big a deal if they drain totally but lithium polymer can develop problems if drained fully. Look up "battery university" for a better understanding of your battery, how to take care of it, etc
    dabombcra likes this.
    11-22-2015 07:16 AM
    Really? Return it? What if I charge it fully and it works fine?

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-22-2015 09:12 AM
    Really? Return it? What if I charge it fully and it works fine?

Then keep it and your original question is pointless if it holds a charge and works.
    11-22-2015 09:41 PM
    Well, I wanna know if that's typical. It might hold the charge, but is this an indication of an issue or an indication that it sat in a box for a year and it's totally dead?

11-22-2015 09:54 PM
    Well, I wanna know if that's typical. It might hold the charge, but is this an indication of an issue or an indication that it sat in a box for a year and it's totally dead?

It is a small battery. If it sat for a year, it most likely drained. Most of the time with the phones and watches, the instructions tell you to charge the device. I would charge it and use it. Most companies have a grace period to return defective items
    Then keep it and your original question is pointless if it holds a charge and works.
    Dankees likes this.
    11-22-2015 09:58 PM

It's not typical for devices that haven't sat for many many months.
    It'll work fine for now but could have been damaged by crystals forming, harming the long term health of the battery, thus instead of lasting 500 charge cycles before a noticeable drop in battery life between charges to less than that. If the battery was replaceable it'd be no big deal, just buy another battery in a year if need be but it's not user replaceable.
    It might be just fine in a year and it might not.
    Dankees likes this.
    11-23-2015 07:29 AM
    So, getting one that readily turns on is better?
    11-23-2015 01:09 PM