So... I have no need/interest in using a watch as a stand alone phone device...

There's several carrier options, Unlocked option, some reviews say this one or that is only for certain countries... I really am not sure which model to buy.

Advice?

My phone service is at&t.

Posted via the Android Central App
    J2THELO76 likes this.
    02-16-2016 12:46 AM
    If your carrier is AT&T, your only choices are AT&T version or unlocked T-Mobile version. Verizon and Sprint versions are CMDA and won't work with GSM carriers like AT&T or T-Mobile. CDMA devices only work for the network it is released on.

Gear S is also a dual-band device. That means if you buy an international version that is meant for outside of North American region, it won't work on AT&T at all due to the hardware limitation (don't support the bands used in North American).
    02-16-2016 08:31 AM
    If your carrier is AT&T, your only choices are AT&T version or unlocked T-Mobile version. Verizon and Sprint versions are CMDA and won't work with GSM carriers like AT&T or T-Mobile. CDMA devices only work for the network it is released on.

Gear S is also a dual-band device. That means if you buy an international version that is meant for outside of North American region, it won't work on AT&T at all due to the hardware limitation (don't support the bands used in North American).
    How would that affect things since they state they plan on using it like a Gear Neo or any other non standalone capable smartwatch? They said they didn't want to use it as a standalone phone, no phone plan involved. Shouldn't that open them up to using any available one ?
    02-18-2016 06:35 AM
    It is called keep the options open. OP never said he will never ever use the Cellular functions. If you bought the wrong version, you will limit your options down the road.
    02-18-2016 07:23 AM
    It is called keep the options open. OP never said he will never ever use the Cellular functions. If you bought the wrong version, you will limit your options down the road.
    I guess I read the first paragraph in the op wrong?
    02-18-2016 07:52 AM