gear s2 3g to Europe? gps?

glenner05

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
will the gear s2 3g come to Europe? I don't like the e sim, I don't think our carriers in Belgium will support it so I'm afraid it will be US only for the 3g version. And does the s2 have gps? They mention running apps and navigation but I don't see gps listed in specs....

Posted via the Android Central App

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I don't like that it has an e-sim either, which will probably be why I won't buy it. Those things are terrible ideas IMHO. I don't even know of any phones in the US that currently have it, but I'm sure if I wanted to use it on minor carriers like Cricket, they would not be able to support this e-SIM nonsense.

Turns out the 3G version does have GPS. It's mentioned under "sensors", not "connections".

"Sensors

Acc, Gyro, HRM, Barometer,
Ambient light, GPS (3G only)"

ETA: According to spiegel.de, the 3G will not be made available in Europe. Guess they know e-sims would have no buy-in there.

Last edited:

rellim

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Why do you consider e-sim cards to be bad ideas? My understanding is that Apple and Samsung are close to finalizing an e-card standard that will be used in their devices and facilitate IoT (the Internet of Things) initiative which allows tvs, door locks, cars, light switches and all kinds of other devices to easily hook up with each other and e-sim equipped phones.

Arlene O

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
I bought one thinking that the standalone feature was going to work in Europe/ Scandinavia. I called T-Mobile and the technician open a case for Engineers to work on it. The technician says that it should work. Let's see what happens. Right now I'm very disappointed since I travel a lot and this why I purchased it.
BTW The standalone works perfectly in the USA.

Arlene O

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
I bought one thinking that the standalone feature was going to work in Europe/ Scandinavia. I called T-Mobile and the technician open a case for Engineers to work on it. The technician says that it should work. Let's see what happens. Right now I'm very disappointed since I travel a lot and this why I purchased it.
BTW The standalone works perfectly in the USA.

Arlene O

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
So today I received a phone call from technician about my ticket/case not being able to connect to a network when using my watch as a standalone abroad (international). My account is with T-Mobile US and it works perfectly in the US. Basically she told me that they are still working on it and that the case is still open. I will be leaving on a trip in two days and she advised me to try to connect again once I get to Copenhagen and if still doesn't connect to call back. Is anyone having this same problem?

vintozver

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
So today I received a phone call from technician about my ticket/case not being able to connect to a network when using my watch as a standalone abroad (international). My account is with T-Mobile US and it works perfectly in the US. Basically she told me that they are still working on it and that the case is still open. I will be leaving on a trip in two days and she advised me to try to connect again once I get to Copenhagen and if still doesn't connect to call back. Is anyone having this same problem?

Same issue. TMo "resolved" this problem by saying "it's not compatible cause our website says that". You can go to their roaming section and find that it's really "has limited coverage in that area".

Technically it must work, but I think it's just frequency mismatch.

EU uses GSM 900/1800, USA uses 850/1900. I think this watch has 850/1900 GSM And B2/B4 PCS/AWS. EU uses 900/1800 DCS, B1/B8 UMTS/EGSM.

I think it's a simple incompatibility cause watch cannot even find any network there, but I don't understand why TMo lies and "investigates" instead of providing accurate information in the product description.