Do you think Samsung will abandon the S2 like they did with the original?

dt81

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
There is a lot of thinking in my head whether I want to get the S2 (I've had the Gear S from day one). I feel like Samsung is going to just abandon the S2 like they did with the original. They were talking about all these apps for their OS, etc...but yet I have not seen one update / improvement to the Gear .S. No big name apps came out for it..I feel all these app developers are focusing on iWatch and Android Wear...Curious as to what you guys think about this and your thoughts on Android Wear vs Tigen.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Tizen is still a pretty small OS in-terms of market share and is currently only running on a small amount of Samsung phones, OG Galaxy Gear, Gear 2, Gear Fit, the Gear S, Gear S2 and their current Smart TV lineup.

It's just not as appealing as developing for both Android/Android Wear and iOS/Watch OS for developers, simply because their market share is so much larger.

It's also why there's barely any apps for my LG LB6500 webOS TV.

rellim

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I share your concern, but I think there are a few reasons why history won't repeat itself: 1) Samsung is opening up the Gear S2 to basically all android users and probably IOS folks as well; 2) the Gear S2 design gives it more of a universal appeal compared to the original; 3) Samsung seems to understand that they don't need to introduce new watches every 6 months so I believe that future iterations of the Gear S will be more like the improvements made to the Galaxy smartphones...better resolution, better processing, better battery life, and maybe some unique Samsung apps that take advantage of the rotating bezel.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I share your concern, but I think there are a few reasons why history won't repeat itself: 1) Samsung is opening up the Gear S2 to basically all android users and probably IOS folks as well; 2) the Gear S2 design gives it more of a universal appeal compared to the original; 3) Samsung seems to understand that they don't need to introduce new watches every 6 months so I believe that future iterations of the Gear S will be more like the improvements made to the Galaxy smartphones...better resolution, better processing, better battery life, and maybe some unique Samsung apps that take advantage of the rotating bezel.

The OP has a good point, let's hope that with the new design and focus we won't have any abandonment issues.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown