09-20-2016 05:53 PM
35 12
tools
    It is so terrible that I might have to return an otherwise outstanding watch.. Anyone else having the same experience?
    10-02-2015 01:34 PM
    Yes. Worthless. Which ruins the watch for me. Like everything else, but if I can't respond and send messages with my voice then its just a buzzer on my arm that tells me I have a message.
    Bunter221, LowIQ and reelon like this.
    10-02-2015 03:54 PM
    It worked fine for me to respond to a text and transcribe my voice. The room was quiet. It hasn't been great at initiating actions.
    10-02-2015 08:48 PM
    It's workable and not completely useless, but it pretty much makes Wear w/ Google Now look like JARVIS. It's slow, has limited functionality and just seems disconnected from Android as a whole.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    Mr_Bugman and LSG67 like this.
    10-02-2015 10:09 PM
    My SVoice is worthless, tried doing things I used to on my Moto 360 and it just fails or gets the wording totally off. I enabled SVoice on my phone and even that works much better then the watch. At this point I am not seeing the draw to keep this watch if it cannot do simple things like voice dictate a text.
    10-03-2015 03:23 PM
    To answer you question, Yes. It's terrible. One thing I use my old Galaxy gear for a lot is to set reminders and calendar events. Why is it that my original Galaxy gear watch with the camera on the strap can do these tasks through S voice, but this new watch can't? Also when I try to initiate a call through S voice it doesn't recognize that there is a work and a cell number for this person? When I say, call John Smith and work, the watch then asks,"which contact I'd like to call" but only lists the cell number. Yet, on my 3 year old Galaxy gear watch it dials the work number immediately without asking me confirm who I want to call. Why does my first generation gear's S voice have more functionality that the gear s2? It makes no sense to me? I'm thinking of returning it until they update the software and hopefully the functionality... Very disappointed...

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-04-2015 08:00 AM
    I agree, it's sad that S voice is so bad that it makes the watch returnable.

10-04-2015 08:01 AM
    Ok I'll eat some crow here. Add me to this list. After 2 days, there are 3 things that are screaming "return" at me, and S voice is one of them. I tried to give it the benefit of the doubt, but I went back to the Huawei Watch for a dinner I attended last night, and it just solidified how much better Google Now is.

It's just too slow and limited in functionality. Deal killer...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    10-04-2015 09:08 AM
    Ugh, me too. I like this watch but man, S Voice is really pushing my desire to return it

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    10-04-2015 10:35 AM
    This is my first smart watch so I wasn't sure what to expect and I have nothing to compare it to.... It is so slow and inconsistent. I will say, it understands what I'm saying with no problem but sending text messages pretty much sucks! Not because it doesn't understand but because it sits there and spins and takes forever to actually send the message..

S Voice is literally the first thing I disable on my phone but for a device like a smart watch I think voice service would be a huge help.

It's not a deal breaker for me at this time but like I said I have nothing to compare the experience to.

10-04-2015 11:16 AM
    S voice recognizes my voice fine, but I'm getting a lot of "Unfortunately, I can't access the system right now. Please try again later.", for things like "who won the Texas football game yesterday?". For things like "what time is in New York?", it works fine.
    10-04-2015 11:19 AM
    Update.. I just tried texting and placing a call and it worked perfectly and was quick... I have no idea what makes this thing slow down at times.. Inconsistent

10-04-2015 01:33 PM
    I'm sure that Samsung will stick with S Voice pretty much no matter what, but since we can use Tizen to pretty much fully interact with Gmail, wondering if they wanted to, could Samsung access Google search/Google Now? Or does Google have it locked down?
    10-05-2015 10:21 AM
    Update.. I just tried texting and placing a call and it worked perfectly and was quick... I have no idea what makes this thing slow down at times.. Inconsistent
    Is it possible that it needs Data connection to work properly, and slow response is because the phone doesn't have a good data connection?
    10-05-2015 10:28 AM
    For me S-Voice has been hit or miss. It just doesn't have the accuracy of Google Now or the functionality. But it is a lot better than on my old Samsung phone.
    10-05-2015 10:31 AM
    Same experience here. I've had several Android Wear watches at this point, and just got my Moto 360 2 in the mail, and wow is the Google Now better! I'll ask S-Voice, "what's the weather like" tomorrow, and takes a second a pops up. Cool. But then ask, "when is the next Seahawks game" and it spins for 10 seconds and then says it doesn't know! Setting a timer works, but setting a reminder doesn't. Really frustrated with that aspect unfortunately.
    10-05-2015 01:25 PM
    Agree
    10-05-2015 01:36 PM
    So I've been playing with S-voice for a few hours and have found a slight workaround, if you will. Now it's not Google Now, but I managed to get better answers from it by saying "web search whatever". It sometimes delivers what I need and sometimes it doesn't. But this workaround is enough for me. Hell, I rarely used Google Now, in terms of voice search on my Moto 360. I also found saying, " Google whatever " it worked very well...you'd just have to open the results on your device...very similar to some results on my Moto 360. Either way, this works for me. Just thought I'd share this.

And S-voice works better on the S2 than it does on my Note5...not saying it's terrible, but I've found that it just seems to work better.

10-05-2015 08:42 PM
    It is with great sadness that I have thrown in the towel and am returning my Gear S2 today. I have been looking forward to its release for three months, but in the end, its functionality just doesn't merit keeping it. How sad is it that I strapped on my 1st generation gear this morning and was happy to have it back. The Gear S2 looks great and has a great interface, but I feel like Samsung focused all of its efforts on making it a fitness tracker and put no emphasis on it being an extension of your phone. If I just wanted a fitness tracker, I would have gotten a Fitbit.
    S voice is terrible, and calling or texting from the phone is a nightmare. Also, the watch doesn't know the difference between your contact's home and work number. When I ask it to call my wife at work, it only brings up her cell number. I'm only able to dial her work number if I go to the contacts list and select it. Meanwhile, I can tell my 1st generation gear to call my wife at work and it just dials that number directly. REALLY SAMSUNG???
    I'm sooooooo disappointed. I really thought this would be the watch I had been waiting two years for. I can only hope that Samsung has people that read these forums and use the info in here to improve on their devices. How could they get so many things right with the Gear S2 design and yet still fail so miserably on its functionality? It's as if they had a great design team, but then hired a bunch of 5th graders to program the interface with the phone "Sorry, that was mean" .
    I'm just so disappointed about how great the design is, but how bad the functionality is. Yes, I know I could hold out for updates and pray that these things get fixed. But, to use a stock market analogy, I feel like I just bought stock in hopes that the value goes up, but I'm not sure how long it will take for that value to increase, or whether it will ever increase at all. I will keep an eye on these forums in hopes that future topics discuss any software updates and whether they make the watch worth buying again. The day that Samsung fixes these issues, I will go out and buy a new Gear S2 immediately. I really feel that Samsung has hit the mark on this watch as far as design, so hopefully, they will continue to support the S2 with apps and software updates and not move on to other things like they did with other devices. I love Samsung devices and have been a loyal customer since I got my Galaxy S3 when they first came out. I now have an S5 and two tablets.
    Please fix this Samsung!!!
    10-06-2015 07:28 AM
    Just had a software update and S Voice is wayyy better now. It actually feels really fast and doesn't load as long as before. It recognizes regular words well but names can still be a hit or a miss.
    Willyman likes this.
    11-26-2015 10:47 AM
    I use it to respond to messages and it works really well even with the TV on. I don't use it for anything else as that part is hit or miss and not worth it, except for asking about the weather.

Note 4 with Gear S2 3G
    11-26-2015 02:11 PM
    Just had a software update and S Voice is wayyy better now. It actually feels really fast and doesn't load as long as before. It recognizes regular words well but names can still be a hit or a miss.
    what update version did you receive? And are you talking about an update to the Gear app, or firmware that got update on your S2? Do you have the 3G or Bluetooth version? And what country are you in? Thanks!
    11-27-2015 08:42 AM
    Yes, it's pretty worthless right now. Samsung isn't good about fixing these issues and I'm pretty sure the watch will be returned soon. Really sad as I like the watch.

By the way, I asked S Voice what's 1+1 and the answer was a search result for dog shelters. What in the world? How does this kind of stuff make it out of engineering at Samsung.
    12-01-2015 10:57 PM
    By the way, I asked S Voice what's 1+1 and the answer was a search result for dog shelters. What in the world? How does this kind of stuff make it out of engineering at Samsung.
    Same experience for me, just plain garbage.
    12-01-2015 11:18 PM
    I figured it was best to reply here, than start a new thread.

S Voice is the one thing that has me really thinking about returning the watch before my window closes on Sunday. Two of the main features I would use S Voice for pales in comparison to Android Wear: search, and reaching my contacts.

Sounds like everyone sees similar issues with search. My test as been "Best buy business hours" or variations on that (like "What time does Best Buy close?"). I got it to give me information on Best Buy once (just an address), but the rest of the time it either gave me a list of other businesses, or random article search results about buying the best TV for the big game.

More frustrating is sending texts hands free. I've tested with a few of my contacts (They are in the 'buddy' list), but mostly with my wife. I have one contact for her in my phone, yet when I say 'text wife,' the watch replies, 'which contact would you like to text?' It gives me one option. Saying 'wife' again just makes it ask again. 'Yes,' 'Ok,' 'This contact' all yield, 'that is not in the list' responses. I've only gotten it to work hands-free by saying 'first contact' on this screen. But that's an extra (and unnecessary) step.

Has anyone else seen the same issue regarding texting? Has anyone found a way to fix it?

Finally, is there any hope that S Voice will be improved in later updates, to bring it closer to Wear? This is the sharpest watch out there. I love the looks and the interface and I want to keep it. But if it's not going to be as functional as other comparably priced watches...I just don't think I can!
    01-28-2016 08:58 AM
35 12