Sleep tracking on Gear s2...

alex346

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
So I went ahead and tried it. Not very familiar with sleep apps, but it does record your patterns while you sleep. Not sure what to make of them once I'm awake, as it only produces a graph that you can only read on the watch's tiny screen. So, perhaps promising, but it would be better if it integrated with S-health or something like it.

I saw that app in the gear store... Was considering trying it out as well... Are you saying that there is no phone version of the app at all to sync with and view the recorded data?

Posted via the Android Central App

cmb713

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
That's strange. I was thinking about getting this but I love how sleep is integrated into the s health app on my gear s.

fractal123

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Anyone found out any third party sleep tracking app for this yet? There was Sleep as Android, but not anymore, Samsung had brought it down for the S2.

tstreete

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
I saw that app in the gear store... Was considering trying it out as well... Are you saying that there is no phone version of the app at all to sync with and view the recorded data?

Yes, as far as I can tell GNight is completely standalone, no way to get the data off the watch. (Maybe I'm missing something though; would like it if I am.)

tstreete

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site

Yes, as far as I can tell it is completely standalone, no way to get the data off the watch. (Maybe I'm missing something though; would like it if I am.)

Chris Vizzini

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
I spoke to Samsung tier 2 today. They said their dev team is aware as they have gotten many complaints about the lack of native sleep tracking and are working on on it in a future software update. Of course they couldn't tell me when it was to be released, but at least they know about it and are doing something about it.

becca0327

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the update! I've been going to bed with my gear fit so I can actually track my sleep. Samsung made Sleep as Android take their companion app out of the gear store due to "high battery drain". So it's nice to hear that they are working on it!

HiroboFreak

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I spoke to Samsung tier 2 today. They said their dev team is aware as they have gotten many complaints about the lack of native sleep tracking and are working on on it in a future software update. Of course they couldn't tell me when it was to be released, but at least they know about it and are doing something about it.

I hope that's actually the case & it wasn't just the support person telling you what you want to hear in order for you to get off his case.

It's disappointing that sleep tracking has been omitted despite reviews prior to release mentioning this feature.
Let's keep the pressure on & hopefully Samsung will implement it sooner rather than later.

viskii420

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I'm in the same situation. However, the support team I dealt with didn't mention anything about the sleep tracking being added in the future.
Thinking about returning the watch....

ritchie_harman

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
I've put mine in a drawer and will leave it there until thus function has been sorted. Gone back to my pebble time which does all i want it do, although I prefer the look of the s2, i hope they catch up in the new year

ChangeOfHeart

Nov 26, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Ill give that a look!
Edit: I have downloaded and will try however its only a trial. Sucks you have to pay more money for something that kind of should have been built into the app

I see "Sleep for Android" in S Health but what do you have to download to the Gear S2 watch itself? I dont see the app when I look through the gear manager.

Ittlebit

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I see "Sleep for Android" in S Health but what do you have to download to the Gear S2 watch itself? I dont see the app when I look through the gear manager.

The companion app for the S2 is no longer available. Sleep As Android will not work with your S2.

Note 4 with Gear S2 3G

becca0327

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
If anyone is interested and has the know how, I know where the links to the Sleep As Android on Gear S2 .apk file and the .wgt files are.Each time I try Samsung blocks the install even though I have allow from unknown sources checked. I even tried uninstalling Gear Manager, then installing the SaA apk, then reinstalling Gear Manager. The app installed with no issue, but looking at my phone today it's magically disappeared. I've tried all I can think of to get past Samsungs defences. I can't post the link now as I have one more post before I can add links =/

Mznik60620

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Question, does the sleep tracker provide more detail other than how many hours of sleep you've had without movement? That's all my Gear 2 showed me when I used it the 2 times to track my sleep

Ernest Knapp

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
I've obviously been playing with my S2 the first 3 days much more than I will normally, but I'm not sure that Samsung has given us much more than a one day battery. My Gear Live was generally ending up with around 50% after a 16 hour day. S2 has ended first three days at around 25%, and yesterday I tried to just leave it be, and use it normally.

Wish I got more then a one day battery life, I am getting 24 hours out of mine

Tommy Riccitelli

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
For me it is, because i can buy another smartwatch or fitness tracker for half the price that can do the same thing. If it doesnt track your sleep, why does it even matter to wear it at night or whats the use case for having 2-3 day battery. If that wasnt a big deal samsung could have given us one day battery, and made the device cheaper. No the watch doesnt tell you to go to bed at a certain time which I dont think it should. The gear fit doesnt have the same functionality as the s2, for example you cannot reply to messages from the gear fit, but then again you cant track sleep from s2. I want something complete and not half baked. If their own application that they made for the device offers sleep tracking, why not build that into the device itself. Overall I like the s2 mainly because of its rotating bezel but I would like a complete product, personally.

I don't think either product is "half baked." If you look at each independently; Samsung is just gearing different products to different lifestyles. The great fit is centered around everything "fitness" like running, hiking, heart rate, sleep consistency and efficiency, etc. Whereas the Gear s2/s2 classic are geared more towards bundling some cool "health" functionality with communication and entertainment integration for a more general consumer type product. Plus the aesthetics are something to consider too, they designed the s2 to look and feel more like a simple traditional timepiece as opposed to the fit which imo has a more futuristic "computery" feel to it, like it's tapped directly into your CNS lol. Idk just my 2 cents; it just seemed like the logical explanation for the subtle differences between the products.

blkav8r

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Sleep Tracking is currently NOT supported on the Gear S2 - if this is a deal breaker for you I suggest returning or selling the device

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I like having a potential 2-3 day battery because it gives me a better chance of making it through a day without charging. Has nothing to do with sleeping Roth the watch for me.

Japandaman

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
So I went ahead and tried it. Not very familiar with sleep apps, but it does record your patterns while you sleep. Not sure what to make of them once I'm awake, as it only produces a graph that you can only read on the watch's tiny screen. So, perhaps promising, but it would be better if it integrated with S-health or something like it.

I thought it synced with S-Health? That's what some readers were posting?

Ta Ro

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
I am responding, but I also don't want you to think I am being wise or anything, just stating my humble opinion.
It could be a deal breaker for some, and it might have been for me some time ago. Some of us are extremely unlucky, and have health problems that affect our sleep. For me, there was a time when I had to journal everything I ate, drank, slept, exercised, sleep habits. It helped me a lot during that already stressful time. Why have any technology except to help lead a better life :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance