Things I'd like to have on the Gear S2

sag7392

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I really like the Gear S2 right now. Coming from Android Wear (Moto 360), there are a few things I would like to have (not deal breakers) on the Gear S2; which is paired to my Note 5.

1. Once you dismiss the last notification, it will automatically return to the watchface. I'm not fond of that extra step of turning the bezel or pressing the home button.

Edit- It looks like it returns to the watchface after a short amount of time. Solved!

2. Google Now. S-voice does work...at least for me, but it's limited. I'm talking about allowing the Google Now app to be invoked by going to it and pressing it on the watch. I'm not talking about cards here either. I'm talking about the ability to say 'Okay Google' to ask questions. If there was a way this could happen, it would be killer.

3. Auto brightness ...I used this feature on my Moto 360 and really liked it. I often need to switch when going outdoors to indoors.

I also noticed that sometimes my S2 gets stuck on (meaning the screen doesn't turn off and 'always on' is turned off) and I have to restart it. I'm trying to figure out what's causing it...it doesn't happen all the time though. Anyone else?

Edit- Solved! It looks like it was a flashlight app I installed. It seems to force the display to stay on. I found this to be the case and when I manually killed the app, things were back to normal.

4. Since I don't code, I'm patiently waiting for a digital watchface that gives me the time, date, weather, and notifications. Just a request.

That's all I can think of for now. I really like this device! I hope Samsung supports it, like Google supports Android Wear.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

nickdeck

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had mine get stuck with the watch face on. I mentioned it in another thread, but I want a sensitivity adjustment for the wake-up gesture. I realize that having the watch wake up more often will cost me battery time, but there must be a happy medium. Like most people, I usually sleep long enough during a 24 hour period to charge the watch, and the two to three day battery time that Samsung advertises is overkill for me.

luisrcastillo

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
OP I'm with you on everything except the watch getting stuck. Mine has not gotten stuck and has performed better than any smart watch I've used. I really like it, but I'm trying hard to love it and keep it. Though it's a great device, I don't think it's worth $300 and I'm pretty frustrated that the apps Samsung promised are not there. 3rd party Watch faces are pretty mediocre compared to what's available in Android Wear.

What I really miss about AW is OK Google and Google now cards

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

sag7392

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I'm treating apps and watchfaces, the same way when AW dropped. I'm willing to give the development some time, because I really dig the hardware and design.

Frankly, I didn't use Google Now "Okay Google" that much on my Moto 360, but when I did, it was nice. I just hope Samsung will get that option to us or spruce up S-voice. Either way, I'm staying with the S2.

sag7392

May 17, 2010
Visit site
So it looks like you can get cards (alerts) from the Google app! I checked the Google app in notifications and I just got a sports card. So if it falls into the notification drawer on your phone, it'll make to the S2...as long as you have the Google app checked.

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
3. Auto brightness ...I used this feature on my Moto 360 and really liked it. I often need to switch when going outdoors to indoors.

Doesn't it have an ambient light sensor? Shouldn't it be able to have auto brightness then? I thought I read that it does have that feature. ???

It looks like it was a flashlight app I installed. It seems to force the display to stay on. I found this to be the case and when I manually killed the app, things were back to normal.

This was the case with my Gear 2 Neo for a while until the flashlight app maker acknowledged the issue and fixed it with an update.

I'm talking about allowing the Google Now app to be invoked by going to it and pressing it on the watch.

I think this is universally desired by all users that have compared the two. Some may not use the Svoice much to interact, but I'm sure a lot more would if it wasn't so frustrating when compared to the speed and accuracy of Google Now. Case in point:

JAWS40

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
I think this is universally desired by all users that have compared the two. Some may not use the Svoice much to interact, but I'm sure a lot more would if it wasn't so frustrating when compared to the speed and accuracy of Google Now. Case in point:

Wow, the video is so telling. I knew it was bad, but never having compared it on a moto 360 I didn't realize just how bad it was.

supersoulfly

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Upgrades for the S2?

Biggest thing is the app market for me. Early adopt a product... I know the deal. It will come.

I would like for the option for apps to be persistent. As it is, the watch will always navigate back to the watchface after it times out for a short period. Normally fine. But occasionally I want to keep an app open. Good example is the music app while I'm exercising. Would be really cool if the bezel could be used as a volume control even with the screen off.

Some simplicity for the app market too. Shouldn't have to install separate apps and watchfaces if they are a set. Espn is an example. Had to download the watchface, the app, and the android companion app. There's got to be a better way.

And for the analog watchfaces... when the screen is in always on mode... how about some hour markers and not just the hands on a black screen? Don't need much, just some little marks would be great.

tstreete

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
I second the call for integration with Google Keep or some similar notes/reminders system. And I'd like improved, more robust navigation, either through improvements in the HERE app or with an app that hooks into Google maps features. (Gear Navigator in the Samsung Gear store does this, but needs work.) Specifically, a nav app would be quicker to connect, more reliable, offer better ability to select routes from watch so you don't have to take your phone out, transit instructions option.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
If the design and build quality are pretty much equal, the deciding factor for me would be battery life and voice recognition.

If a 3G smartwatch doesn't has the battery life to implement the many apps or bells and whistles, it would be useless. I love my Gear S, but the battery life sucks.

A 3G smartwatch, for me, should require less hands on navigation, so the need for more physical contact with the watch defeats that purpose, that's why I think great voice recognition is important. I am ok with gestures or swipes as compromise; the rotating bezel defeats that purpose. SVoice on all my gear wearables suck, I suspect the GS2 is also.

A 3G standalone is a must, so hopefully the LG Urbane 2nd edition will satisfy my needs, otherwise I am done with wearables for now.

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Three things I'd like to see in an update:
1. Hour markers for analog watch faces in Always-on mode
2. Digital watch face that can show 3 complications at the same time (e.g, steps battery, date (month not needed) )
3. Add a reminder function for S voice

A0425A

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I really like the Gear S2 right now. Coming from Android Wear (Moto 360), there are a few things I would like to have (not deal breakers) on the Gear S2; which is paired to my Note 5.

1. Once you dismiss the last notification, it will automatically return to the watchface. I'm not fond of that extra step of turning the bezel or pressing the home button.

Edit- It looks like it returns to the watchface after a short amount of time. Solved!

2. Google Now. S-voice does work...at least for me, but it's limited. I'm talking about allowing the Google Now app to be invoked by going to it and pressing it on the watch. I'm not talking about cards here either. I'm talking about the ability to say 'Okay Google' to ask questions. If there was a way this could happen, it would be killer.

I also noticed that sometimes my S2 gets stuck on (meaning the screen doesn't turn off and 'always on' is turned off) and I have to restart it. I'm trying to figure out what's causing it...it doesn't happen all the time though. Anyone else?

Edit- Solved! It looks like it was a flashlight app I installed. It seems to force the display to stay on. I found this to be the case and when I manually killed the app, things were back to normal.

4. Since I don't code, I'm patiently waiting for a digital watchface that gives me the time, date, weather, and notifications. Just a request.

That's all I can think of for now. I really like this device! I hope Samsung supports it, like Google supports Android Wear.

Looking for the same watchface. Being someone who hasn't worn a watch in decades I really need that.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1