Possible Known Issue with Activating T-Mobile Gear S2 3G

Keltian

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I figured out the call forwarding. I had to go to the gear app and then settings. Under connection, I enabled remote connection. Then, I went into call forwarding and enabled auto call forwarding and it turned on.

Posted via the Android Central App

Jascias

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I know this is off topic, but can I buy a Gear S2 3G from T-Mobile without the data plan-$5/month? I read that you currently have yours set up with only bluetooth, and that is what I want to do. I can't justify to myself paying $5/month when my wife doesn't have to with her Apple Watch.

Just a FYI......You're wife's Apple Watch, doesn't have a 4g radio, and that is what makes the difference between the two watches. In order for her to make phone calls she has to be connected to the bluetooth of her phone. The Gear S2 by the same token can be connected to the bluetooth of you phone, but its also basically an spare cell phone that can make its own calls away from your main cell phone, which the Apple Watch can't do. Ergo, the $5 month charge. If nothing else, you can always brag to your wife, that your watch can do something that her watch can't. :D

Last edited:

geekaren

Dec 13, 2009
Visit site
So if I'm reading in between the lines correctly, if i activate it , then cancel the plan a month later, I can have my 3G version and cake too?
You'll have an S2 that connects to your phone via bluetooth but will not have mobile network connectivity (calls/data) in stand-alone mode since that requires a cellular plan.

Manuel Batrez

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
You'll have an S2 that connects to your phone via bluetooth but will not have mobile network connectivity (calls/data) in stand-alone mode since that requires a cellular plan.

I want a watch that is comparable to the Apple Watch: Bluetooth,SPEAKER, answer a call through the watch. I'm not interested in the GPS, calling when i leave the phone at the house. I don't think I can get away with paying $5/month, when she doesn't. Now i know $5/month is nothing, less than 17 cents a day. I don't think I'm the only one in the same situation.

Chris Fayden

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
Why wouldn't you want to be able to use it as a stand-alone device? Especially now that T-Mobile is working on the availability to use your device phone number on multiple devices which means that your phone could be off or even dead and use your watch with your existing cell phone number!!!!

cpiddy

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for chiming in Chris, on a related topic, might this be the same reason those of use trying to use our lg watch urbane 2nd editions on tmobile are having that same issue? Because mine worked fine for 2 days and now it doesn't and i keep getting texts saying my wearable sim is in an ineligible device?

wsrobert

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Count me in too.

Was in the middle of one of those really cool tech moments and then I started getting blown up with these messages. Where you're kind of like "wow, this is pretty cool". Doesn't happen a lot anymore.

I'm a runner. Was finally pulling down a signal on my S2 so wanted to test streaming Milk Music to my Jaybird Blue BlueBud Xs while tracking my run through S health (leaving my phone at home). And at one point, took a call from my mom. Once I hung up and the music began playing again, I was like "wow. This is pretty amazing." But then my signal appeared to start cutting out and I started getting the ineligible device texts. I have to assume the music started cutting out because the signal was sort of going in and out.

Anyway, lots of promise here. I loved walking out the door with just my watch and earbuds. I can't wait till Samsung Pay is enabled on it (anybody know the status of that?). I literally will only need those two things.

Any idea when all will be completely resolved?

Chris Fayden

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
I believe Samsung pay will be available on the watch early next year January February I think... as far as the issue with the watches I would think another day or two at most...

nmcbryant

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Hey! FWIW, I got my S2 in the mail today. I was having the same issue where no matter what number I dialed, I kept getting customer service. So I spoke to a representative and he asked me to go under settings --> gear info --> about device and tell him my ICCID. It turns out this number was different from the SIM they had on file for this line. Perhaps because I'm jumping from the Gear S to the S2 and they still add the old one?? IDK. Anyway, once he updated his system with the S2 ICCID #, I rebooted and was able to make calls from the watch in standalone mode. Wanted to share in case it helps someone else. Also, since doing this, my phone number appears under 'Gear Phone No' where it was unknown before.

AlanRudy

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
I'm getting those ineligible device texts too. Tech support is saying because I used the sim on a blackberry?! Hope that will be resolved soon. Also, it's definitely less of a hassle than having the sim not work, but hope there'll be a way to disable the notification on both watch and phone that call forwarding is on everytime I part from my phone, to be clear, I want the auto call forwarding, just not the 2 notifications everytime. Also, would be nice if there was an Shealth input for activities that are not a steady run, like sports, sprints, etc. Once this all gets resolved would still give my watch an "A" overall!

maylea31

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Well. I just got off phone with T-Mobile and between activation issues, text messages saying my sim card was being used in another device so they locked it, and then saying I was only getting 2g data because their system showed I used over 500mb (which there is no way I did) I am returning this device. What a dismal launch. Had to fuss to get restocking fee waived. Horrible experience.

Posted via the Android Central App

Manuel Batrez

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
Why wouldn't you want to be able to use it as a stand-alone device? Especially now that T-Mobile is working on the availability to use your device phone number on multiple devices which means that your phone could be off or even dead and use your watch with your existing cell phone number!!!!

I bit the bullet and got my Gear S2 3G from T-MO yesterday. Loving it. but it died on me only after 7 hours. Must have been that app that let me see Youtube Videos that drained my battery.

rellim

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Tech support called me a few hours ago to confirm that my S2 3G was finally connected to TMo network. Told him thanks, but I returned the S2 earlier today. And yes, the restocking fee was waived.

Kevin Barrier

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
Just FYI in Fort Collins, CO they connect fine.

Question, has anyone gotten S Health on the watch to run sleep tracking. This was the number one feature I used on the Gear S and it seems to have been removed.