12-10-2015 08:15 AM
26 12
tools
    I just received my smart watch 3 days ago. Im really hoping that mine has a flaw because I love everything about it except the battery life. Its not lasting more then 6 hours off the charger. Ive tried changing the watch screen to the most plain and made sure all apps were closed as much as possible but not sure how to get it to last at least thru my 9hr work shift.
    11-20-2015 11:34 PM
    Definitely not normal. I can get a day and a half. I would try a factory reset after checking for firmware updates.
    Nightdiff and brandibi like this.
    11-20-2015 11:40 PM
    I just received my smart watch 3 days ago. Im really hoping that mine has a flaw because I love everything about it except the battery life. Its not lasting more then 6 hours off the charger. Ive tried changing the watch screen to the most plain and made sure all apps were closed as much as possible but not sure how to get it to last at least thru my 9hr work shift.
    Same boat. Took off charger at 7am
    By 10am form some reason it was at 45%. Just went through settings and turned off nfc and display on when raising wrist. Well see how it does the 2nd day.
    brandibi likes this.
    11-20-2015 11:50 PM
    Also when I take of charger it automatically drops to 99% after a couple seconds. Though I'm not using the charging brick and wire that came with it. Using a 1mah brick instead of the .7mah that came with it.
    brandibi likes this.
    11-20-2015 11:53 PM
    Def not normal,,,try to make sure you have anything turned off that you dont need like GPS location, heart rate monitor, steps counter.
    brandibi likes this.
    11-21-2015 04:07 AM
    To answer the question in subject: 2-3 days.
    And that is true with my experience.
    I usually charge every night, but I have tested it couple of times.
    I take it from charge at 8 on morning and in evening at 23:00 when I go to sleep I take it off with 70-80% still on it. Night time it drains 5-8% but still I have over 60% left on morning.
    My first test ended 7% battery after 3 days of usage.
    I have brightness set to 5, use one of the original digital watch faces with battery and date dispaly without always on. HR is set as default (is it taking every 3-4h the reading or something). Weather is set to show my home (not location based) and updates every 3h.
    I have bluetooth and wifi enabled.
    I do not use games or flashlight, but I do read and reply my messages with it.

First night charge had some weird glitch. It did show it charged and light had turned to green. I did not check the percentage but the battery lasted only for 3 minutes and it tuned off. Haven't seen this behavior since..

Sony Xperia Z2 & Samsung Gear S2
    brandibi likes this.
    11-21-2015 04:21 AM
    I have the 3G model. I take it off the charger at 7am and by 11pm I still have 30-40% at minimum and a lot of times 40-50% left. I have screen set to 3 and can see the screen perfectly, I have GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth on. Weather is set to location and I think the heart rate set to each hour. If I take a call on the watch, I will be at the lower rate. I no longer play around with the watch, I just use it regularly and receive around 40-50 messages per day.

Note 4 with Gear S2 3G
    11-21-2015 08:21 AM
    not sure if this applies to all, but I noticed (and verified for myself) that if you have one of the older Gear products (fit or neo on my case) still managed by your gear manager, then battery drain is excessive. Once I removed the older device and removed reinstalled the Samsung gear apps, battery life for my newer gear device was great. I easily get a full day on my s2 with moderate text and phone use.
    brandibi likes this.
    11-21-2015 08:32 AM
    My first couple days I was only making it 6 hours .

After a week, 24 hours.

Why?

Simply because I wasn't messing with my new toy every 10 minutes.
    ShaggyKids and Clairvoyant like this.
    11-21-2015 08:46 AM
    not sure if this applies to all, but I noticed (and verified for myself) that if you have one of the older Gear products (fit or neo on my case) still managed by your gear manager, then battery drain is excessive. Once I removed the older device and removed reinstalled the Samsung gear apps, battery life for my newer gear device was great. I easily get a full day on my s2 with moderate text and phone use.
    Trying this now. Is there a more "correct" way of removing an old device other than just unpairing from Bluetooth settings? I can't find a remove device option in Gear Manager. Manage Devices just lets me pick between the two and a long press on either device does nothing. My S2 3g battery has been dropping about 1% every 5-10 minutes, and I have GPS off, cellular off (auto, but I'm in BT range), heart rate monitor off. I've removed the Gear 2 from bluetooth and I hope what you're saying is true because there's no way I could even get a day out of this thing unless something changes.

The Gear 2 would easily last me 2 full days, and longer if I didn't use it for any calls (just notifications).
    11-21-2015 11:33 AM
    I found turning down the display brightness helped tremendously on my Gear S. Got mine almost all the way down and it's still more bright than I need it to be.
    11-22-2015 04:43 PM
    There were a few steps to remove the unused gear device. First, go into Settings/apps and clear cache and data. This will start everything over again. Then go to your Bluetooth settings and unpair all of your gear devices. Then when you restart your great app, only add the device you will be using.
    (I also noticed that uninstalling the Bloomberg app from the gear manager increased battery life.)
    11-24-2015 05:38 AM
    Correction... Gear manager app.
    11-24-2015 05:38 AM
    Trying this now. Is there a more "correct" way of removing an old device other than just unpairing from Bluetooth settings? I can't find a remove device option in Gear Manager. Manage Devices just lets me pick between the two and a long press on either device does nothing. My S2 3g battery has been dropping about 1% every 5-10 minutes, and I have GPS off, cellular off (auto, but I'm in BT range), heart rate monitor off. I've removed the Gear 2 from bluetooth and I hope what you're saying is true because there's no way I could even get a day out of this thing unless something changes.

The Gear 2 would easily last me 2 full days, and longer if I didn't use it for any calls (just notifications).
    Turn off the NFC, I have GPS on, No WiFi, heart rate monitor set to moderate. If you're on your feet and very active at work remember it's counting steps. My other job, was able to go from around 6:20 in the morning until I got back home around 6:00 pm with less than 20%, but I was driving most of the day.
    brandibi likes this.
    11-24-2015 06:00 AM
    I found turning down the display brightness helped tremendously on my Gear S. Got mine almost all the way down and it's still more bright than I need it to be.
    I immediately set mine to 2 but its still dying quickly
    11-24-2015 12:29 PM
    good call on the steps thing. I never sit at my job and reach the 6000 steps its set at in less then 2 hours at work. I will try that
    11-24-2015 12:31 PM
    Is there a way to turn off step tracking? I don't actually care about it. I set the target to 20000 steps so I don't get alerts anymore, and I turned off the activity alarm, but if it would save a few battery % I'd like to turn off the constant step counting.
    11-24-2015 02:04 PM
    I immediately set mine to 2 but its still dying quickly
    I don't have numbers just a slider which is almost in the off position.
    11-25-2015 02:31 AM
    Is there a way to turn off step tracking? I don't actually care about it. I set the target to 20000 steps so I don't get alerts anymore, and I turned off the activity alarm, but if it would save a few battery % I'd like to turn off the constant step counting.
    You can turn off step tracking, it is in s health settings on the watch.

I'm not sure why you would want to though. I have no problem going 5:00 am to 11:00 pm on one charge, with heart rate monitoring set to high, and 45 minute minutes of exercise tracking on a stationary bike. This is with brightness of 3, phone always connected via bluetooth.

Running with no phone, 3g and GPS and music playing, I lose 25% battery every half hour. That is with the Nike app. I'm going to run with the S health app soon.

Using Verizon note 4, verizon Gear s2. I have 12 apps that push notifications. I use no 3rd party apps except a calendar watch face.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-25-2015 11:31 AM
    You can turn off step tracking, it is in s health settings on the watch.
    My options in settings are Profile, Step Target, Auto HR, alert, and Help. None of those offer the option to stop step tracking that I can find?

The reason I would like to turn it off is because, if it would make a difference, I would rather conserve battery for things useful to me, like remote connection, phone calls, and notifications. I am a rower so step tracking isn't important to me. Nor is my heart rate outside of actual training, so I've turned that off. I have to believe that on some level there's some sensor that's "awake" and monitoring steps all the time on this thing, and if it could be turned off it might save a bit of battery.
    11-25-2015 02:57 PM
    I hate to revive an old thread but have a battery question. I've had my Gear S2 for a week and the battery has been better than I expected. This morning, however, I ran into an issue. I took it off at 11pm last night and turned off notifications and set it on my dresser. Eventually, I turned my phone (Note 5) off while charging as well. I got up this morning and put the S2 on around 11am and when I finally went to check the steps, the watch was off. I turned it on and got a notification that the battery was too low and either needed to turn off or go into power saving mode. It was at 68% last night when I took it off and when I put it on the charger, it was at 4% so I'm a little confused. Was it trying to look for a signal while my phone was off, even though notifications were turned off? Any thoughts? I did a similar set up the night before, though with my phone on all night, and it was fine in the morning. I appreciate the help.
    12-05-2015 12:10 PM
    Sounds like what happened to me in my other battery thread. ~60% to zero in a couple of hours. I assume there's a runaway process that can cause this; unclear whether it's related to the radio or not. Since there's no process explorer on the watch there's no way to tell. Ideally one could catch this behavior with enough battery life left to run a process explorer and then see what app is pegging the CPU (or whatever is happening).

Sorry I can't be of more help, but you're definitely not alone.
    12-05-2015 03:20 PM
    Mine was doing ok and then it started losing battery really fast. For a few days I tried to figure it out and then I saw on here to reboot the watch. (Which I knew and always tell others about their phone or watch) I rebooted the watch and my phone and the battery life has been excellent ever since. With wake up gesture on, wifi off, nfc off, and quit a lot of use I am getting 20 hours.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-05-2015 10:01 PM
    You may find that closing recent (background) apps will extend your usage, and Samsung would do well to add an update that periodically prompts the user to close those apps to conserve battery usage. Here's a link on how to closeout apps yourself:
    https://publish.samsungsimulator.com...necessary_apps
    nickdeck likes this.
    12-09-2015 09:01 AM
    Thanks, I never knew about that, I had alot of open apps.

Note 4 with Gear S2 3G
    12-09-2015 07:57 PM
26 12