[Q] Can't show email for security reasons

duongla

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,
My gear S2 pairs with a galaxy S6 which runs default Samsung email client, connecting to a Micrsoft Exchange Email server using Microsoft ActiveSync. Gear S2 has the latest software R720XXU2BOKK.
The email client on Gear S2 gets all the email notifications from the phone normally but it cannot show the email content for security reasons as in attached capture screens.
Anyone has the same issue and any solutions to this problem ?

Thanks
Duong

Attachments

• Screen-20151207092643.png
    Screen-20151207092643.png
    31.6 KB · Views: 180
  • Screen-20151207092255.png
    Screen-20151207092255.png
    53 KB · Views: 178

pdqgp

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Easy fix. Just requires a few additional installs on your phone.

Install Nine Email on your phone. Works awesome. It will be recognized by MS Exchange and works great. I really like the look/feel and interface better than the stock email client. I use the stock one only for my personal emails and that of my kids which I also monitor.

Next install GNE, Gear S Notification Extender (by Enhance my Toys) on your phone. I have it on mine but am not sure it's still available at the Google Play Store. Link me how to get you the app and I would.

Lastly, you just need to install ANDROID WEAR on your phone but don't run it.

In the end, like Gear Manager, it allows you to edit which notifications it sends to your watch. The great thing is that unlike Gear Manager, it will allow you to select Nine Email and your Exchange Policies are avoided.

Overall it works great as a solution and is seemless. Works with Hangouts too so now I can communicate with my daughter that way.

I'll see if I can find more about this being available on the XDA forums. Works on the Gear S and Gear S2 as I have both linked to my Note 5

I've private messaged the developer on XDA to see if there's a link outside Google PLay that you can use.

Last edited:

duongla

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Thank you, pdqgp.
Nine works fine but like most of the apps, Nine notifications are sent to the watch and will not be saved there. The stock email on the gear S2 work differently, It stores/sync emails on the watch so you can read the emails later.

pdqgp

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Thank you, pdqgp.
Nine works fine but like most of the apps, Nine notifications are sent to the watch and will not be saved there. The stock email on the gear S2 work differently, It stores/sync emails on the watch so you can read the emails later.

I'll have to check it out. Admittingly I don't do a lot of email on either my Gear S or the S2. I just today switched back to my Gear S but will check out emails on the S2 next.

Overall thus far, while I like the S2 better for appearance sake the original Gear S has it beat hands down for functionality for my needs thus far. I'm keeping and will use both though.

pdqgp

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Nine lives the messages on my Gear S2 for me to read anytime. So far the S2 functions like the Gear S in that respect.

haus

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Is this a work email or hosted exchange? If it's work, you're probably out of luck as it's a security policy, though you could talk to IT and discuss with them. If it's a hosted exchange provider you might be able to work with them (or find another one) to get this sorted. My hosted exchange provider doesn't have this restriction on reading emails on the watch.

duongla

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
This is my work email. As far as I know, this is Samsung policies which is implemented in its software (email client).
A friend on XDA said that this issue is the same with Gear S and we have to wait for Samsung to change it.
Thanks.

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I have exchange for work also and we do not have this restriction. I can read emails on the Gear S2 fine. I use the stock email app on my Galaxy S6.

haus

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
This is my work email. As far as I know, this is Samsung policies which is implemented in its software (email client).
A friend on XDA said that this issue is the same with Gear S and we have to wait for Samsung to change it.
Thanks.

It's not a Samsung policy, it's an Exchange security policy. If the Exchange server allows it, you can read emails on the watch. Are you in a sensitive work environment (healthcare, defense, banking, etc.)? I've read that if your IT people force a PIN code security policy on the phone, you may not be able to read emails on the watch (something I read anecdotally; not sure if it's true).

Out of curiosity, have you tried setting a PIN code on your watch? You enter it once to unlock the device when you put it on. I wonder if that would help because then the watch might be viewed as a secure device for Exchange policies.

chrys7

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I have to disagree with that.....

I have several users with Moto 360 and 1 Moto 360-2, I also have a Moto 360 first gen. we all are able to view email in full and reply etc.
I am also the exchange admin so I can say with absolute confidence that everyone in my Org has the same policy on their mailbox.

However this one user with the GS2 has this issue. I feel if it were the policy none of the users with Moto 360's would be working either and we all are.

duongla

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Thank you all.
I have found a workaround to this issue. In summary:
1. Use Nine email client app on your phone. Cons: whenever the Nine notifications are cleared on your phone, they will be cleared on your gear S2 and you cannot read the emails later
2. Use stock email client on your phone but using the IMAP instead of Exchange ActiveSync. You still have push email like ActiveSync.

haus

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I have to disagree with that.....

I have several users with Moto 360 and 1 Moto 360-2, I also have a Moto 360 first gen. we all are able to view email in full and reply etc.
I am also the exchange admin so I can say with absolute confidence that everyone in my Org has the same policy on their mailbox.

However this one user with the GS2 has this issue. I feel if it were the policy none of the users with Moto 360's would be working either and we all are.

I understand what you're saying, but it's also quite possible that Samsung is adhering to a security policy that other mail clients (like Nine and the Moto client) are ignoring. The Nine client is well known to bypass Exchange security restrictions, including forced PINs for devices, IIRC. Just because Samsung acts differently doesn't mean they're the ones "doing it wrong".

Would very much like to know if someone who has this issue can try adding a PIN to their watch to see if it fixes it.

duongla

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I understand what you're saying, but it's also quite possible that Samsung is adhering to a security policy that other mail clients (like Nine and the Moto client) are ignoring. The Nine client is well known to bypass Exchange security restrictions, including forced PINs for devices, IIRC. Just because Samsung acts differently doesn't mean they're the ones "doing it wrong".

Would very much like to know if someone who has this issue can try adding a PIN to their watch to see if it fixes it.

I have tried to setup PIN on the watch but this did not solve the issue.
FYI, with the previous gear software: at the time when gear gets the emails, same issue (can't show email for security reasons) but after an unspecific period of time , I could read the emails. Strange behaviour.

haus

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for trying the PIN. I also had a brief time on the gear 1 or 2 (I forget which) when emails were unreadable but it was eventually fixed. I don't know if it's Samsung's mistake or not but I'm glad you've been able to work around it. That would be a deal breaker for me, particularly in remote mode. How are you supposed to open the email on the phone if the phone is not nearby?

Super Ryo

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Thank you all.
I have found a workaround to this issue. In summary:
1. Use Nine email client app on your phone. Cons: whenever the Nine notifications are cleared on your phone, they will be cleared on your gear S2 and you cannot read the emails later
2. Use stock email client on your phone but using the IMAP instead of Exchange ActiveSync. You still have push email like ActiveSync.

I had exactly the same issue and chose option 1 as I have no idea how to set up IMAP. It is working now and I can check and respond to emails on the watch. Thanks!

duongla

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I had exactly the same issue and chose option 1 as I have no idea how to set up IMAP. It is working now and I can check and respond to emails on the watch. Thanks!

Setring IMAP is simple. Basically, you will setup an incoming email server which is IMAP in this case, and outgoing email server which is a SMTP server. Please ask your email administrator for the required parameters.

dere22

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
my question is about needing a pin code to "open" or access a watch plus get corporate email on the watch. I get tired of always having to enter my pin code to view anything at all on my phone. But I'm told there's no getting around it and microsoft built that in as a safety feature. My question is will the watch work the same way - will I always have to enter my pin code to access anyting - including my email.

haus

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
my question is about needing a pin code to "open" or access a watch plus get corporate email on the watch. I get tired of always having to enter my pin code to view anything at all on my phone. But I'm told there's no getting around it and microsoft built that in as a safety feature. My question is will the watch work the same way - will I always have to enter my pin code to access anyting - including my email.
The watch uses its sensor to determine whether it has ever left your wrist. As long as it stays on your wrist you don't need to re-enter the PIN. I don't know if exchange security policies actually extend to the watch anyway. Since the watch doesn't access exchange directly (always through the phone, whether bt or remote), I don't believe the watch has any connection to exchange or its policies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36