Screen turns on just by shaking wrist. What is going on?

anon(400316)

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I had the Gear S for a year and loved it. When I walked into TMobile Store last weekend I saw the S2 and immediately fell in love with the way it looks, so I bought one. The issue I'm having is that the screen turns on just by shaking my wrist, even if I'm not looking at the screen. The original Gear S would only turn on if I was directly looking at the screen. As a result my battery is draining super fast, when compared to the S. Anyone else notice this? Do I have a faulty one? Please voice your opinions as I have a few days left for exchange. Thank you!

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
This is an Android Wear watch, correct?

Open the Android Wear app on your phone and look for the setting which controls this function. I forget what it is called, but you'll find it easily enough.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
This:

1. Open the Android Wear App on your Android smartphone
  2. Tap the Settings Icon in upper right
  3. Tap on the name of the connected Android Wear device
  4. Turn 'Tilt to wake screen' option Off

ehosey2

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hey Newbie. It is NOT an Android Wear watch. It is a Samsung Gear S2 that has Tizen as its operating system.

As for the screen question from lakersfreak, go to settings, device, wakeup gesture, select off.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 5.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hey Newbie. It is NOT an Android Wear watch. It is a Samsung Gear S2 that has Tizen as its operating system.

As for the screen question from lakersfreak, go to settings, device, wakeup gesture, select off.

Oops! :)

anon(400316)

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
but if I select the wakeup gesture off then will it still turn on when I look at it? I don't want to touch a button to turn the screen on.

ehosey2

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes, without wakeup gesture on then the button press is what you will have to do unfortunately. You can set the screen brightness to maybe 4 or 5 if you haven't already done so. Maybe it will have with your watches battery. I personally think the screen doesn't stay on long enough and with the next update times for how long it stays on is something I look forward to. As for what you are saying about it coming on without even looking at it like the Gear S, I can't compare the sensitivity as I don't own the first Gear S.

anon(400316)

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
So whoever owns an S2, can you confirm if your screen turns on if you just flick your wrist without really having eye contact with the screen? My battery is at 77% since 7 am this morning. I haven't really used it other than a few text messages that came through. My S would've been around 85-90 percent at this point with similar use. I'm guessing the battery is being drained due to the constant turning on and off of the screen.

nickdeck

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes, the watch face will light up from arm/wrist movement, regardless of whether or not you're looking at it, but some (including me) feel that the face doesn't light up easily enough. That is, it takes too much force to wake it up. I'd like to see some way to adjust the sensitivity.

If you choose to not use the wake up gesture in the settings, you can wake it up with just a swipe on the watch face, rather than having to feel around for a button.

ehosey2

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Or you can put a finger on the bezel and give it a small click.That turns on the watch face also.

haus

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Mine doesn't turn on unless I move it and the screen is pointing at least straight up (or toward me), or if I move it so it's upside-down (as if to use an NFC reader, which I assume is a precursor to Samsung Pay on this device). If I wiggle the watch and it's still facing "beyond" straight up (away from me) it doesn't turn on.

nickdeck

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Your lucky. Mine turns on every other second unless I want it to.

Posted via the Android Central App

See, that's the problem for me. I can't figure out exactly what arm movement triggers the wake up. Is it the number of degrees your wrist rotates? How high your wrist travels? Only Samsung knows, and they ain't sayin'.

All I know is that most of the time I end up swiping the face to see it fully lit.

omnia1

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I noticed that two motions cause the Gear S2 to switch on - when the watch face is sufficiently 'vertical' (when you turn your wrist to look at your watch) OR when you turn your wrist with sufficient force (even when the watch face does not meet your eye). Either will cause your watch to switch on (or go into ambient mode if you do it in reverse)

The S2 does not detect your eyes in order to switch on; it does not have a camera unlike smartphones.

Overall, I find the sensitivity about right.

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I think Samsung did a pretty good job of setting the sensitivity of the wake-up gesture. I've had two other devices in the past and the S2 is definitely the most reliable in that regard.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay