Gear S2 Wifi Authentication

phelixx

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
Am I completely missing something here? Why can I not get my watch on our wifi network. It requires authentication. But if I make sure that bluetooth is enabled. It scans the network and I can see it. However if I try to connect it tells me authentication errors. But I can not find a single spot to add login or password or any authentication option. Only options to connect to wifi are AKA and SIM.. How the heck do I get this thing on a wifi network?? There is nothing anywhere on google about how to this. Am I the only one on the whole internet that owns one of these that can't connect my watch to a secure network?

Blknight96

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Am I completely missing something here? Why can I not get my watch on our wifi network. It requires authentication. But if I make sure that bluetooth is enabled. It scans the network and I can see it. However if I try to connect it tells me authentication errors. But I can not find a single spot to add login or password or any authentication option. Only options to connect to wifi are AKA and SIM.. How the heck do I get this thing on a wifi network?? There is nothing anywhere on google about how to this. Am I the only one on the whole internet that owns one of these that can't connect my watch to a secure network?

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/c...TT_SM-R730A_Gear-S2_EN_UM_TZ_OJ7_FINAL_AC.pdf

page 109

Settings
Wi-Fi
Activate the Wi-Fi feature to connect to a Wi-Fi network.
X On the Settings screen, tap Connections > Wi-Fi, and then tap the Wi-Fi switch to activate it.
Connecting to a Wi-Fi network
This feature is available when the Gear is not connected to the smartphone through Bluetooth.

1 On the Settings screen, tap Connections > Wi-Fi, and then tap the Wi-Fi switch to activate it.

2 Tap Wi-Fi networks > SCAN.

3 Select a network from the Wi-Fi networks list.

• Networks that require a password display a lock icon.

4 Tap CONNECT.

Once the Gear connects to a Wi-Fi network, the Gear reconnects to that network each time it is available without requiring a
password. To prevent the Gear connecting to the network automatically, select the network and then tap FORGET.

ravenjim55

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
No, your not missing something, Samsung is the one missing something on this watch with the wifi connections.

It's so easy to copy and paste how to log onto a wifi network from a manual but your issue has to do with authenticating a wifi network that requires a username and password. That type of network requires a browser which the gear S2 lacks.

It will log onto a wifi network that only requires a password with ease but unfortunately most need a browser to input the username and password. Major flaw on Samsung's part.

You can sync your saved wifi network connections from phone to the watch and it will then say it's logged on but it's just waiting for you to authenticate and theres no way to do that.

Maybe Samsung will address this issue in a future update. Not sure this watch is for me without being able to connect to any wifi that requires authentication.

AndroidFlyer

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Same, Just got my S2 watch from the free S7 purchase promption and can connect at home fine with WPA but at work, no good. It does NOT require a web page to authenticate to, my phone has a spot for username/password. The watch does not ask me for creds and just fails connecting with the dreaded authentication error occurred :/

Sure would be nice for samsung to chime in!

TerrillLR

Nov 30, 2016
Visit site
I just got the new Gear S3 but I assume it is the same. It could be the type of authentication required by your network. I just figured out that my network here at work requires PEAP which is not an option on the S3 so it will not connect, which sucks. The S3 appears to only use AKA or SIM as encryption protocols for EAP.

Richie Mann

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
I solved my issue. I don't know if this matters or not, but I had turned off bluetooth and when I went to turn on Wifi it wouldn't let me input the password. So I turned Bluetooth back on, told the watch to forget my network & then when I re-scanned it asked me for my password after I clicked on my network. It didn't ask for password until I made it forget my network & then re-scanned WITH Bluetooth enabled. Hope this helps

StElmo86

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
I had a similar situation - had to send my S2's mac address to my work's network group and they were able to register my device on the network.

wvansickle

Apr 18, 2018
Visit site
I am having this same issue but it's now 2018! Everyone with an apple is able to connect to the enterprise wifi. My Gear will not. Spoke with IT. It can't handle the enterprise authentication. Work around? Update? Frustrating!