Don't freak out like I'll be texting riding down the road! But I had a Nike watch that linked with my iphone. Now I have an Samsung s6. I have wired headphones from my phone to my helmet.
    1.I need to control my tunes from the watch.
    2. I would like to at a glance while at a light or break see if I have any important messages with outstripping off my riding gear.
    3. Would love directions from maps while riding up on an intersection on the watch.
    Would a gear s2 handle these tasks riding? Or would another watch be better? Don't forget it needs to be waterproof.
    Thanks for your time.
    12-30-2015 09:52 PM
    Having used Samsung smart watches for 6 months now, and as someone who rides, I can honestly say that this is not going to accomplish what you are looking for.

You could see one or two messages, and you could use a Bluetooth headset to send a message, but in reality just using your phone on driving mode would be better. S voice on the watch is good, but NOT reliable enough to use on a motorcycle.

Try driving mode on your phone, or Dragon mobile assistant or Google now.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-31-2015 12:41 AM
    Don't freak out like I'll be texting riding down the road! But I had a Nike watch that linked with my iphone. Now I have an Samsung s6. I have wired headphones from my phone to my helmet.
    1.I need to control my tunes from the watch.
    2. I would like to at a glance while at a light or break see if I have any important messages with outstripping off my riding gear.
    3. Would love directions from maps while riding up on an intersection on the watch.
    Would a gear s2 handle these tasks riding? Or would another watch be better? Don't forget it needs to be waterproof.
    Thanks for your time.
    1. Music, yes.
    2. Glance at notifications, yes.
    3. Directions, yes. (The 3G model with GPS)
    4. Waterproof, yes.
    Mom2Ninjas likes this.
    12-31-2015 01:06 AM
    What others have said is true and worth considering. I'll add that I've used my S2 classic on a bicycle -- not the same, I know -- and have found the turn-by-turn guidance through the HERE maps watch app to be useful. (I leave the phone out of sight in the handlebar bag for the gps signal; you only need the 3G model if your phone is not connected.) Much easier to glance at your wrist than down at a phone. You can control basic playback on your phone from the watch, and it works with most phone music apps.

That said, the HERE app is laggy and not as stable as it should be, and while the S2 is more waterproof than most of its competitors, it's not as waterproof as a Pebble. And the vibration mechanism is not as strong as on some other watches, which some folks have complained about; I'm guessing on a motorcycle this might matter.

Glancing at messages at a stoplight would be fine. Replying using s-voice, probably more trouble than its worth. I often reply from the watch by selecting from the list of short canned replies, e.g., "running late."
    12-31-2015 10:17 AM
    While the S2 is more waterproof than most of its competitors, it's not as waterproof as a Pebble.
    You can wear your S2 in the shower, or drop it in a glass of water without damage. It is waterproof.

Go to 6:43 of this video for proof:
    12-31-2015 11:05 AM
    I rode for the first time yesterday with my watch on. With my winter gloves on, I can't even get to it. It's probably easier with my summer gloves, but my sleeve would still need to be pulled back to see it. I use a Sena headset (currently a 10C), and it handles audio streaming and provides the voice navigation from my phone just fine. I just don't think a watch would be practical for this.

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-09-2016 12:35 PM