How to use the Gear S2 - I've failed?

assumedname

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
How to use the Gear S2 - I've failed

Didn't find the answer using 'Search."
I may bore some here with the background but I'm hoping all these questions can actually be resolved with 1-2 changes.
Since owning this watch, I've been unable to get any notifications sent from my phone (Samsung Alpha) to the S2. I can go to the email screen on the S2 and see emails, but I get no vibration and no visual cue when they are received. No evidence of an incoming call. No evidence of reminders. Text - when I select it from the watch menu, I get "Set "messages" as default (or something similar. I've changes the default on the phone. Can't find how to change default on the watch.
Within the last week, I've found the following . . .
date on the watch face doesn't increment. Note; Using a watch face created by Mr. Time, but have tried the OEM watch faces and they don't increment either.
Contacts list doesn't appear on watch.
As of last week, I'm getting frequent popups on my phone telling me to "get moving" (even when I just sat down). I don't want ANY reminders like that. I THINK it's from S Health but can find no way to kill the reminders.
Hope someone here can help with some/all the problems.

nickdeck

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Re: How to use the Gear S2 - I've failed

Concerning the notifications, are you sure the watch isn't vibrating and you just don't notice it? That happens to me a lot. For me, the vibrator is close to useless.

Runningwarrior08

May 23, 2010
Visit site

Okay, first things first. Did you give the gear manager app notification access?

Posted via the Android Central App

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

Since you've had the problem from the beginning, I would reset the watch and run it without any 3rd party software. You can deactivate the inactive alerts in the settings in S Health on the watch. Also I don't know what you mean by: "Can't find how to change default on the watch." Default what?

assumedname

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site

I'll answer a couple of replies together.

" Did you give the gear manager app notification access?"
Yes. Turned Notifications ON with all apps selected and with all apps DEselected. Turned Notifications OFF. AFAIK, I tried all combinations.

"You can deactivate the inactive alerts in the settings in S Health on the watch."
OK, did that. I'll see if it works.

"Also I don't know what you mean by: 'Can't find how to change default on the watch.'"
I don't know if the S2 requires the PHONE to use it's default app (e.g., "Messages" instead of "Handcent") or if I can use Handcent as my default. I know how to change the phone from Handcent back to default, but don't know if it matters. I do NOT know if I I can change default apps (messages, reminders, email, calls) on the watch or not, nor do I know if it matters.

Runningwarrior08

May 23, 2010
Visit site

I'll answer a couple of replies together.

" Did you give the gear manager app notification access?"
Yes. Turned Notifications ON with all apps selected and with all apps DEselected. Turned Notifications OFF. AFAIK, I tried all combinations.

"You can deactivate the inactive alerts in the settings in S Health on the watch."
OK, did that. I'll see if it works.

"Also I don't know what you mean by: 'Can't find how to change default on the watch.'"
I don't know if the S2 requires the PHONE to use it's default app (e.g., "Messages" instead of "Handcent") or if I can use Handcent as my default. I know how to change the phone from Handcent back to default, but don't know if it matters. I do NOT know if I I can change default apps (messages, reminders, email, calls) on the watch or not, nor do I know if it matters.

For notification access I am talking about through android.

Go to settings on your phone than notifications than at the bottom it should say notification access.... Go into there and make sure gear manager has access.

Posted via the Android Central App

assumedname

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site

Yup, Notification Access shows access allowed to Android Wear, Samsung Gear, DW Contacts, and Mighty Text.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power