Textra messaging and Gear S2, how can I make it work?

A

AC Question

Textra messaging and Gear S2

Hi, I just downloaded textra as my default SMS messaging app and now I can't seem to make my Gear S2 notify me of messages. I was told Textra is supported by my smart watch. Does anyone have pointers or directions on how to make this work?

TIA

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: Textra messaging and Gear S2

Go to the Gear App on your phone
Click Notifications, then Manage Notifications
Make sure Textra is checked to send notifications to the phone

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

Go to the Gear App on your phone
Click Notifications, then Manage Notifications
Make sure Textra is checked to send notifications to the phone
Also make sure Textra is your default messaging app first. Do not select Messenger or Messages in the Gear Notifications. It does work, I use it.

kharma00

May 25, 2015
Visit site

I get notifications on the S2 Classic from Textra, but the Messages app on the watch doesn't update in real time (they show up if I reboot though).

cjackson3

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site

It will work. The message app on the gear s2 will not show incoming messages without using the Samsung Messaging app on your phone. Not the best experience

Posted via the Android Central App

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
with Textra and the Gear S2 are you able to "Mark as Read" on the Gear S2 like you can on Android Wear?

I have the S7 Edge, and am currently using the stock Messages app. when I get a text message, and view the notifcation on my S2, I can clear the notification, and the notification will be cleared on the phone. However, the Messages app on the S7 Edge will still have the unread indicator.

Now, if I go to the actual Messages app on the Gear S2 and read the message that way, it will clear the unread icon on the Messages app on the actual S7 Edge phone.

Using Textra on Android Wear there was an option to "Mark as Read", I wonder if it has the same functionality on the Gear S2.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
On my classic, textra does have "mark as read" as an option.

thanks, i might check it out. For now trying to keep it stock samsung. I figured out how to mark texts from the default Messages app read on the S2 Classic.

If you get a text notification on the S2, you have to hit the 3 dots on the side, then go to "open app" and it will open the text app on the S2 and mark it read on the phone