Gear S2 with a Google Voice number?

kdburton

Apr 26, 2016
Visit site
I am a Google Voice user and currently have my account set up to forward all calls /texts to and from my Note 5 on T-mobile (I don't even remember my actual number). I'm interested in getting the Gear S2 and I know people have set up the watch to forward voicemails to Google Voice while using their actual carrier number, but has anyone set it up such that all incoming/outgoing calls and and texts via the watch are routed through your Google Voice number?

Also, I was reading on another forum that you can reply to SMS messages, but not initiate them... Is that true?

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I just received a Gear S2 last night and was wondering the same. Hopefully someone knows more about this.
I will try to use my GVoice number though WiFi on the GS2 tomorrow and report back.

kdburton

Apr 26, 2016
Visit site
I did end up getting the watch. You can forward your Google Voice number to the watch's number just like you can to your phone and it will ring instantaneously to the watch and phone at the same time (rather than setting up Gear Manager to forward if phone not answered or something). Also if you use Google Hangouts for all SMS using your GV number on your phone you will receive notifications of Hangouts SMS messages on the watch that are sent to your GV number. You can REPLY to these from the watch, but unfortunately without another app you cannot initiate Google Hangouts messages (ChatHub I believe will allow you to initiate messages from the watch if I understand correctly). The catch to being able to REPLY to the Google Hangouts messages is, and this is weird, you must install Android Wear app from the Play Store onto your phone. You don't have to set anything up, but once Android Wear is installed you'll be able to reply to Google Hangouts messages from the watch. There is no easy way to make a phone call from the watch (while not BT-connected to the phone) using your Google Voice number however. The workaround would be to set your phone contacts up with their Google Voice alias numbers - which I'm not even sure where to find anymore - and this will basically bypasses the background step that usually occurs on your phone when you call out via your GV number through the native dialer. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze