Has everyone else given up on Samsung Pay for the s2

me23brown

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
With the s3 expected to be announced at IFA I was wondering if anyone else besides me has given up on Samsung Pay coming to the s2? They'll probably save the launch of it for the new watch instead. I hate being lied to by companies.

johna22

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
just saw over on sammoblie that a big G2 update is coming with sleep tracking so maybe there is still hope for pay coming sometime too

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
If and when Samsung pay comes to the G2, it will only work at terminals that support NFC. Same as Android and Apple Pay.
For me, that makes it not a very important feature. Nice to have? YES. A game changer? NO.

Najo

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
As cool as it would be to have it, it is not a deal breaker for me either. I would not want to risk security for a half baked app, and chances are you would need to load your card information desperately into your watch as a Bluetooth or wireless link would not be secure.

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
In reality the watch would use the build in NFC and the phone would send the tokenized number to the watch instead of the NFC device on the phone. Since it is a one time use number it will still be secure.

Posted via the Android Central App

tsparks1

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
In reality the watch would use the build in NFC and the phone would send the tokenized number to the watch instead of the NFC device on the phone. Since it is a one time use number it will still be secure.

Exactly. Well said.

haus

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
just saw over on sammoblie that a big G2 update is coming with sleep tracking so maybe there is still hope for pay coming sometime too
There isn't anything in the sammobile articles (at least that I saw?) about Samsung Pay though. I'm assuming at this point there's either a technical or business hurdle they can't overcome. I'm actually surprised there's another update in the works. Based on past experience I'd have assumed Samsung would have abandoned the Gear S2 platform by now, as they did with the previous generations.

Affirming my belief that if you are interested in a tech product, be sure it supports the features you want out of the box. Samsung has been particularly sneaky about this since the original Gear, showing lists and screenshots/mockups of apps that never materialized.

Mr_Spencer

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
With the s3 expected to be announced at IFA I was wondering if anyone else besides me has given up on Samsung Pay coming to the s2? They'll probably save the launch of it for the new watch instead. I hate being lied to by companies.

Beta released last night.

Posted from my S7 Edge via the Android Central App

Mr_Spencer

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
It'd be LOVELY if someone tells us how you get this beta of Samsung pay

I just tried to look for it in the Galaxy apps and weirdly it doesn't come up. I got a notification yesterday to install it.

Attachments

• 5364.jpg
    5364.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 21

me23brown

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
I hate to be petty but it sucks a little to have paid for the more expensive model and for my trouble it takes longer for updates and left out on new features for the time being. Oh well live and learn. I'm hoping that the rumored Google watches actually come out soon. I'm getting tired of all this.

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
I hate to be petty but it sucks a little to have paid for the more expensive model and for my trouble it takes longer for updates and left out on new features for the time being. Oh well live and learn. I'm hoping that the rumored Google watches actually come out soon. I'm getting tired of all this.

Same here. I am tired of waiting for carrier updates that have nothing to do with the carrier. May just switch to Google/Nexus products in the future.
Don't get me wrong I love my s2 3g. Just fed up with carrier caused delays to updates.

Mr_Spencer

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I do still feel that I should have gone with an android wear device vs the Gear. Too many hurdles to overcome for features that I expected.

me23brown

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
I feel the same way. Amazing how little Samsung supports the S2

It really is especially when they say they want the Tizen platform to take off you would think they would be doing everything they could to make it a success. At this rate they won't even keep the customers that they already have and there's no way I would recommend it to anyone who asked me about it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood