FYI: Samsung Pay Beta Installed

Uncle Eliot

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I just installed Samsung Pay on my Gear S2. I've not used it yet at a store. And as Samsung has mentioned, it is only NFC.

Scott Currence

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Just installed! Need to try it out. Question is does it need linked to phone to use? As in do I need to have my phone with me to use the nfc samsung pay on the watch?

tstreete

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
I just installed Samsung Pay on my Gear S2. I've not used it yet at a store. And as Samsung has mentioned, it is only NFC.

What phone are you using? I get the Samsung Pay beta link in the Gear app on my Note 4, but when I click it says app "not available on your device." (I'm guessing this will only work for phones that already can install samsung pay, that is, the more recent ones.) I have the classic bluetooth/wifi only S2.

[update: suddenly, two days ago, I was able to install the software after all, and it says it's compatible with the Note 4. Yay. And some people are reporting over on xda forums that it works for them on the older firmware. It still doesn't let me get all the way through the installation process, alas. If you're able to get this to work on a Note 4, let me know.]

Last edited:

johna22

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
What phone are you using? I get the Samsung Pay beta link in the Gear app on my Note 4, but when I click it says app "not available on your device." (I'm guessing this will only work for phones that already can install samsung pay, that is, the more recent ones.) I have the classic bluetooth/wifi only S2.

Sammoblie said you also need to have updated to the latest software "value pack", so in gear manager under gear info check if there is a software update before trying to install Pay beta on the S2. Also not sure where you're at buy this is available in the US only right now.

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Sammoblie said you also need to have updated to the latest software "value pack", so in gear manager under gear info check if there is a software update before trying to install Pay beta on the S2. Also not sure where you're at buy this is available in the US only right now.

Also only works with the non 3g versions.

Posted via the Android Central App

johna22

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
I think he meant to say only non 3g right now. Since the carriers will all have to approve the software update and we all know now notoriously slow they are at that, it might be weeks before we see it on Verizon and other 3G versions

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, you got a point. I still haven't seen the firmware update for my BT only watch though, and I haven't had my Verizon 3G model that long.

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Where do you get it only works with non 3g versions? That really makes no sense from Samsung's standpoint.

Sorry. The discussion is about the beta software. Currently the beta version is only available for non 3g watches.

Posted via the Android Central App

Mr_Spencer

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. My BT hasn't gotten the firmware upgrade yet so will have to wait for that I guess.

I wonder why? Have u already checked the settings in gear manager to see if you could install it manually?

Posted from my S7 Edge via the Android Central App

rld082982

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
How is everyone getting this update?? I'm going into the settings menu of the Gear app, clicking "About Gear", then "Update Gear software" and it tells me the latest is already installed. What am I doing wrong?

tstreete

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
How is everyone getting this update?? I'm going into the settings menu of the Gear app, clicking "About Gear", then "Update Gear software" and it tells me the latest is already installed. What am I doing wrong?

I haven't gotten the firmware update either on my classic bluetooth s2, and I'm in the U.S. (northeast). Samsung for some reason seems to roll out its firmware updates piecemeal, over a period of weeks, even within countries. This has been the pattern with past updates, too. Frustrating, but the update will come, eventually.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49