Interested in Gear S2 or S3

steph746

Sep 21, 2016
Visit site
Hi...I was initially interested in the Apple Watch, but got irritated with their band options, battery life, etc and think the Gear S2 and Gear S3 look much nicer.

So, my main question is if I can pair either with an iPhone. Also, I would most likely opt not to have cellular on the watch. If I do get cellular on it, I would basically be paying for another monthly data plan? All that cellular would allow is the ability to make phone calls on the watch?

I mainly just want to use it to track running, walking, biking, steps, etc. It has built in GPS so I wouldn't need cellular to do this? Also, if I could pair it with my iPhone that would be a bonus. I would just want to see when an email or imessage came in...things like that.

Do you think a Gear s2 or s3 would be a viable option for me?

Thanks.

tstreete

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
The iPhone app for the Gear S2 is in open beta, i.e., they're testing it and it's not complete. So unless you like to live life on the edge, you probably want to wait until the official iPhone Gear S2 app is out; Samsung has not said when that will be (and if they had provided a date it wouldn't mean much, because they often don't make their own deadlines). Since the S3 is also not out yet, you might want to wait a few months until the S3 and the iPhone app are all out, and then you can make your choice with all the info you need.

No smartwatch works completely independently of a phone (yet); even the watches with cellular capability still need to be paired to a phone now and then for setting up and managing it. The S3s will all come with GPS. The S2s without cellular do not have onboard GPS, and so with them you need to carry your phone anyway if you want speed/distance tracking for running, cycling etc. (If you just want steps, heart rate, and mp3s, you're OK to go phoneless with the bottom-of-the-line S2s.) You do need a data plan to use a cellular-capable version of the S2 or S3; I've heard they tend to go for about $5/month.

That said, I love my bluetooth/wifi S2 classic.

steph746

Sep 21, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. I do not want to get a cellular model. I've been trying to research a bit on the S3 and think that the Classic will come with wifi only (no cellular). But I can't confirm if the Frontier S3 will offer a choice of cellular and wifi? I hope there is a wifi option because I'm not really interested in using the watch to make calls and I can make use of it without pairing it to my iphone. If it does become possible to pair it in the future I guess that would just be a bonus.

Would it make sense to purchase the s3 when it comes out and not pair it with a phone?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish