Gear S2- Do you always need to have your phone with you?

A

AC Question

I am contemplating getting a Gear S2 not connected to a carrier service. If I were to go running with it do I have to also bring my phone in order to use the GPS and music function?

Mr_Spencer

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Not sure about the GPS, but I believe it functions through the phone app. Music u can load directly to the watch from the phone and play via Bluetooth headphones.

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
I'm not sure about all variants, but the 3G Verizon version is basically a cell phone just made into a wristwatch. I can lose my phone altogether and still make/receive phone calls, text, use GPS, etc. However, the difference is, I have a line of service activated on it for about $5/month. The watch shares the data on my plan but will always use my phone to make and receive calls as long as it is connected via BT. The watch has its own phone number.

The watch does have enough memory to store a few GB of music, so I think you could BT headphones to the watch and use the GPS for tracking, although I'm not sure if it requires data to do that (I don't think so, but I could be wrong).

theobject

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I have found that GPS is spotty when not paired with the phone which is disappointing since I still feel the need to bring the phone when bike riding.

Sleepwlkr45

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Don't know if anyone else has this problem but my AT&T gear s2 will overheat and or die much quicker if the phone isn't around..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech