Got an S3 Frontier, VERY confused at lack of functionality.

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
That's correct. Despite the advertisements and Tweets, Samsung Pay DOES NOT work with non-Samsung phones. Not really sure why they advertise that ability.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
That's correct. Despite the advertisements and Tweets, Samsung Pay DOES NOT work with non-Samsung phones. Not really sure why they advertise that ability.
Supposedly it's coming in the next few weeks. It seems like they have a habit of advertising things that aren't available on their watches. I don't like that.

jsk0703

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site

Exactly. The S3 has Samsung Pay installed but if you launch it the app will tell you to install Samsung Pay on your phone. If you have a Samsung handset it is not a problem. Unfortunately the Gear app for non Samsung phones does not have the pay feature yet.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
The mapping functionality is good for citygoers, but I'm pretty sure the "frontier" is going to belong to Garmin. I'm returning it today and buying a Fenix 3. I can get the HR for within $30 of what I have into this thing.

No thanks.

As far as "educating myself", I've read hundreds of pieces of info, and I'm on the line right now as to whether I thing Samsung was negligent or deceptive with their marketing and specifications with this thing.

Spotify app in marketing material, but does not exist.
No clear definition of where the LTE versions were available. Information may have been available somewhere, but definitely not clearly.
$50 cheaper price available literally on day TWO.
"Frontier" name and marketing with no off-road GPS functionality even available.
Unbelievably limited app marketplace, a search for GPS yields about 11 results, none of which are helpful.

This is exactly the kind of thing that makes me angry, and also why I'm grateful for this forum... I've posted recently about some of my own issues with things not being disclosed by LG & Verizon, and there are some people who want to smack me with, "you didn't properly educate yourself before purchase"... when there is really no clear way to do just that... <sigh>

I've spent quite a few hours myself studying the LG v20, and contacting LG & Verizon & app makers whose apps won't work. I finally wound up adding a line and buying both a Verizon model AND and unlocked model of the LG v20 to see what the real differences are when used on Verizon. It's absolutely ridiculous that carriers and manufacturers don't do a better job disclosing these issues to the consumer.

cdd543

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know how to record a lap with the s health running app on gear? Can't seem to find that. Surely it has it.

pinkivy98

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Well I don't want to dash your hopes, but Samsung Pay on the S2 was coming in the next couple of weeks and took damn near a year I think.

Right...I waited until September 2016 to upgrade from gear s to s2 because I loved samsung pay on my s7 edge so I thought samsung pay would be available on the classic with data plans by that time. Got the s2 classic & still no SP until a month ago & it was beta.

mpbowyer

Nov 19, 2016
Visit site
After 2 days now here's my update.

The watch, if thought of in the urban context, is pretty cool. I'll of course be returning it because several sources (B&H, Samsung) are already selling it at a $50 discount. So I think I'll try to get AT&T to match that with an LTE model, and return this one to Best Buy. There is no reason to keep a non LTE version (considering re-sale value) since the price is somehow the same.

The battery life is fine, I did some backcountry bow hunting. 11,188 steps and 55 floors of stairs. The samsung health app works fine to track a workout, I liked being able to quickly monitor HR and elevation. I was going across mountain around to different spots and it was interesting to see if I was gaining or losing altitude.

The screen doesn't get dim enough. Of course it can shut off, but I can't be scaring every deer away any time I tilt my arm. Day time was fine, but I got out before 5AM under the stars. Even at level 1 it was lighting my face up.

The size and weight is fine. I'm 5'-10" 175 and it fits my wrist great. I don't notice the thickness at all.

I honestly think it is just a backcountry app away (and spotify) from meeting my expectations. I'd like to find a dimmer (and red) watch face, but I haven't looked yet.

The notification (text, email) functionality is awesome. I haven't had a smart watch before so I'm sure others are similar.

My Garmin discount is available until June 2017 so I think I'll end up with whatever the Fenix 4 HR is. Maybe both?

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I got the S2 Classic yesterday and likely going to return it. It's pretty nice but - my Endomondo app on my phone doesn't support it so it can't pull the heart rate info from it during workouts which was my main interest. I really like the features and look of the watch, but since it's not currently supported with my favorite fitness app and likely won't for awhile, I'm just returning it and getting the Wahoo chest strap heart rate monitor. I know that's compatible. And I have my 7edge for the other stuff I enjoy anyway.

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
This is exactly the kind of thing that makes me angry, and also why I'm grateful for this forum... I've posted recently about some of my own issues with things not being disclosed by LG & Verizon, and there are some people who want to smack me with, "you didn't properly educate yourself before purchase"... when there is really no clear way to do just that... <sigh>

I've spent quite a few hours myself studying the LG v20, and contacting LG & Verizon & app makers whose apps won't work. I finally wound up adding a line and buying both a Verizon model AND and unlocked model of the LG v20 to see what the real differences are when used on Verizon. It's absolutely ridiculous that carriers and manufacturers don't do a better job disclosing these issues to the consumer.

+

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I bought an S3 frontier from Best Buy. I have a few questions.

It doesn't appear my watch has LTE. I don't need it right now, but if the watch doesn't have the functionality, why is it the same price? I've only seen one price $350 for the watch. How do I confirm mine is not an LTE version?

Why is there no map app on the watch? There is literally no way to use the GPS.

I bought the watch in stead of a Garmin for backcountry hunting and hiking trips. I can't find a single GPS app that isn't for street directions. What does Frontier mean to Samsung?

Where is the "app store" for this thing? I can only find watch faces and a few apps in the Galaxy Apps on my Galaxy S7 Edge. Is this it? If so I'm going to return this thing. Within the Galaxy Apps, I see a GEAR tab, but there are no categories within that other than "watch faces" "featured" and "top". If I search for GPS there is no general backcountry TOPO map app that would let one get waypoints to POI or even leave a breadcrumb trail.

Where is spotify etc? How am I supposed to use the bluetooth to connect to my car to play songs using my phone's internet connection?

This thing is being billed as a rugged outdoor "frontier" wearable device for people who get out there. I hope I just don't understand it but I'm about ready to return it for lack of usefulness.

I appreciate your post. I was considering going to Tizen as it seems more polished than Android Wear but the main reason I went to Android Wear was for functionality. The best thing about Android Wear is that most phone apps will work on the watch without a companion watch app. GroupMe has no watch app but works quite well on the watch, including being able to "LIKE" posts.

I've not totally turned my back to Tizen and might return one day...I just get what your are saying.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc