SMS Voice Dictation - "sms service not available" - Gear S3 Frontier

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
On the Gear S3, if I say my launch phrase, and 'Send a text', it thinks about it for a few seconds, and then I get "sms service not available".

However, If I want to send a text to a contact, or reply, the T9 keyboard or the screen typing option works perfectly well.

Any ideas? If it's relevant, I'm on the UK, non-LTE version.

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
How do you send a message from the contacts on gear s3? (not linked with a samsung phone)

I don't have the Gear S3 anymore, but I believe you scroll to your contacts, choose the contact, and underneath is one option to call, and little envelope which you can choose to write/type a message.

May 3, 2015
Visit site
On the Gear S3, if I say my launch phrase, and 'Send a text', it thinks about it for a few seconds, and then I get "sms service not available".

However, If I want to send a text to a contact, or reply, the T9 keyboard or the screen typing option works perfectly well.

Any ideas? If it's relevant, I'm on the UK, non-LTE version.

You need either the LTE version or a Samsung phone. It's dumb, but the only negative so far.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. Figured.

Not the only negative for me, but enough anyway for me to switch back to Android Wear.

I love my S3, however I will say that doing things via voice was seemingly a lot easier on my old Asus ZenWatch 2. I didn't like all the swiping of AW though and didn't particularly care for the form factor so returned it. But Google Now for all voice actions pwnes S voice every time IMO. S voice is slow, clunky and sometimes just different do anything. Hopefully we'll get Bixby and it'll be a huge upgrade.

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I love my S3, however I will say that doing things via voice was seemingly a lot easier on my old Asus ZenWatch 2. I didn't like all the swiping of AW though and didn't particularly care for the form factor so returned it. But Google Now for all voice actions pwnes S voice every time IMO. S voice is slow, clunky and sometimes just different do anything. Hopefully we'll get Bixby and it'll be a huge upgrade.

True. S Voice barely worked at all for me, unless it was TOTALLY silent. It was practically redundant, and as I said, voice SMS was too as I don't own a Sansung handset.

I suppose what I want is the Gear's build and bezel, but with the touch, swipes and Google integration of AW.

But then I also want 10 million quid and Daenerys Targaryen from game of Thrones.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
True. S Voice barely worked at all for me, unless it was TOTALLY silent. It was practically redundant, and as I said, voice SMS was too as I don't own a Sansung handset.

I suppose what I want is the Gear's build and bezel, but with the touch, swipes and Google integration of AW.

But then I also want 10 million quid and Daenerys Targaryen from game of Thrones.

Funny, sounds like we might want the same things lol 😎

James Gillis1

Jul 31, 2017
Visit site
Yea super frustrating. If you can't keep pace with google then why force us to use s voice. I use a straight forward smartphone I.e. LG stylo2. Voice to text worked the first day only! Now it gives me nothing but the sms not available prompt. Nor can I save an event by voice (which I could do the first day). There's nothing really special about this wear gear with so much lacking

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome