Samsung Pay on Gear S3 Frontier

CHRISALLEN3285

May 24, 2016
Visit site
Hello Everyone!!!! I have a question about Samsung Pay on the Gear S3 Frontier. I went to Wendy's today and figured I'd try to use Samsung Pay on the Gear S3 Frontier. When I went to pay I held the watch near where you would normally swipe your card. When I did this the watch just kept counting down and didn't let me know if the payment went through. The girl behind the counter told me the payment went through. My question is is something supposed to show up on the watch indicating that the payment went through or is the watch supposed to make a noise? Neither of these things happened so I'm wondering how you're supposed to be able to tell if a payment went through or not. Does anyone know?

dshrum84

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
The watch has no way of knowing the payment went through or if the numbers even got read by the receiving machine. There's no feedback to it. It just broadcasts the info for 15 seconds.

daves221

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
When you use nfc, the watch indicates a checkmark when the payment is accepted because the reader talks to the watch. When you are using MST on a swipe terminal, the reader was never designed to talk to anything so it has no way to let the watch know. It's not the watch's fault. When I use Samsung pay, I immediately get a notification on my phone after each payment, so maybe that would be your feedback that the full transaction has gone through.

CHRISALLEN3285

May 24, 2016
Visit site
When you use nfc, the watch indicates a checkmark when the payment is accepted because the reader talks to the watch. When you are using MST on a swipe terminal, the reader was never designed to talk to anything so it has no way to let the watch know. It's not the watch's fault. When I use Samsung pay, I immediately get a notification on my phone after each payment, so maybe that would be your feedback that the full transaction has gone through.

Well, when I held the watch near where you swipe your card the watch didn't do anything. It just counted down. I was with a friend and told him I was confused and wasn't sure if it worked. That's when the girl behind the counter told me the payment went through. I left my phone at home so there was no way for me to know if the transaction went through. If you have to bring your phone with you to find out if a transaction went through I think it defeats the whole purpose of Samsung Pay on the watch.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Well, when I held the watch near where you swipe your card the watch didn't do anything. It just counted down. I was with a friend and told him I was confused and wasn't sure if it worked. That's when the girl behind the counter told me the payment went through. I left my phone at home so there was no way for me to know if the transaction went through. If you have to bring your phone with you to find out if a transaction went through I think it defeats the whole purpose of Samsung Pay on the watch.

Same thing happened to me, I was also confused until I received notification on my phone. I agree, seems like we should get something on the watch instead of just a continuous timer. Wasn't clear.

CHRISALLEN3285

May 24, 2016
Visit site
Same thing happened to me, I was also confused until I received notification on my phone. I agree, seems like we should get something on the watch instead of just a continuous timer. Wasn't clear.

Luckily you had your phone with you. I didn't. Thankfully the girl told me the payment went through.

gottria

Trusted Member
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Who cares, the payment went through and you got your cheeseburger and fries. MST is a one way process, does your card tell you it went though?

dshrum84

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
If you're using NFC, there's a feedback loop in place to inform you of the outcome. The extent of what you can be informed about depends on the programs in place on your device and the terminal.

Using MST it's just mimicking the magnetic strip input. There's no pathway for direct feedback, (as said above) just like there isn't when you run your card through the reader.

Most terminals don't have NFC capability. Ergo most terminals can't tell your watch that your payment went through.

You're using new tech on an old system. The system isn't more capable because of your tech, and your tech can only tell you what the system tells your tech.

afblangley

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Am I the only one that has an S3 that emits a light beep/vibration that lets me know the SPay transaction has gone through successfully?

Scott Currence

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Am I the only one that has an S3 that emits a light beep/vibration that lets me know the SPay transaction has gone through successfully?
My s3 and note 5 both emit this. But if it is what I think your talking about, the beeping is the actual magnetic pulses being transmitted. If you listen carefully they change pitch and durations. And the vibration is to give you a tactile indication that Samsung pay is transmitting. It has nothing to do with the success of the transaction. It just means that a transaction can take place. Again this is uf if I'm understanding your statement correctly.

afblangley

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Maybe I'm confused. Whenever I've used SPay, the watch emits a buzz that let's me know it communicated. Then the display on the POS terminal prompts me for some input (ie. enter pin, verify amount, select debt or credit). After that, the POS screen displays approved or declined. Either way, I'm not left wondering if the transaction was successful or not. The only times I've not gotten any response/notification from a POS terminal is the slide in type, commonly used at gas pumps.

Maybe the OP's vendor used an unusual POS terminal. I use SPay almost every day (and can't check my phone in real time because it never leaves the house). I'm not saying it can't ever happen, but it's atypical to not get feedback from the watch and terminal. That's been my experience, is yours different?

CHRISALLEN3285

May 24, 2016
Visit site
Who cares, the payment went through and you got your cheeseburger and fries. MST is a one way process, does your card tell you it went though?

Who cares? I do. No, my card doesn't tell me it went through. I used the watch and when I did there was no indication that the payment went through.

daves221

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Who cares? I do. No, my card doesn't tell me it went through. I used the watch and when I did there was no indication that the payment went through.

The swipe terminal is not able to talk to your watch, it has no way to do that. That's not the fault of the watch, it's the fault of the terminal. That your watch can submit a payment to a terminal like that with all of the needed financial controls still in place is pretty cool.

New, modern NFC terminals will tell your watch.

CHRISALLEN3285

May 24, 2016
Visit site
The swipe terminal is not able to talk to your watch, it has no way to do that. That's not the fault of the watch, it's the fault of the terminal. That your watch can submit a payment to a terminal like that with all of the needed financial controls still in place is pretty cool.

New, modern NFC terminals will tell your watch.

Well, if that's the case must be the terminal at my local Wendy's is an old one because I didn't receive a notification at all.

fkpalm

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Just used it at my local shoprite and seconds after it was used I had a notification on my watch as well as my phone

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers