Bluetooth/Standalone mode/Connected remotely

dshrum84

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
The "2nd phone number" that's assigned to the watch is to separate it for signal/billing/identification. Otherwise they'd have to figure out which SIM under phone number X they need to deal with for whatever. Don't let technical necessities undermine them giving you what you're looking for.

Look at the bright side, you can give the watch-only number to close friends and family and know that anyone calling just the watch is on a short list.

CHRISALLEN3285

May 24, 2016
Visit site
The "2nd phone number" that's assigned to the watch is to separate it for signal/billing/identification. Otherwise they'd have to figure out which SIM under phone number X they need to deal with for whatever. Don't let technical necessities undermine them giving you what you're looking for.

Look at the bright side, you can give the watch-only number to close friends and family and know that anyone calling just the watch is on a short list.

Well, I only gave the watch phone number to one person because I wanted to test out the calling feature on the watch. I've also been getting strange calls on the watch. That's also another reason why I don't want the second phone number. When I check the watch I'll see phone numbers on the watch that I don't recognize and when I check my cell phone those same phone numbers aren't showing up in the call log so I don't know how these people are getting the watch phone number. I just told the one person to get rid of my watch phone number and to just call/text my cell phone number.

dshrum84

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
I got a weird call on my watch number initially too. Somebody else had the number before it was assigned to my watch, I figure the call was meant for them. It's no different than if I had opened a new line with a phone instead. This sort of thing probably happened all the time before porting numbers was finally made easier.

CHRISALLEN3285

May 24, 2016
Visit site
I got a weird call on my watch number initially too. Somebody else had the number before it was assigned to my watch, I figure the call was meant for them. It's no different than if I had opened a new line with a phone instead. This sort of thing probably happened all the time before porting numbers was finally made easier.

I used to get a strange call every so often from a woman asking for the pallet shop and I told her she had the wrong number. Then she called me again the next day asking for the pallet shop and I told her that she called me yesterday and that I'm not the pallet shop.

Nostromo79

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
Will the Bluetooth Gear S3 Frontier (or Classic for that matter) connect automatically to WiFi which the phone already knows and trusts? I had this happen in a convenience store which promotes Xfinity's WiFi; my phone knows this provider as it's my cable/telecommunications provider in addition to Verizon.

dshrum84

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
Generic answer: I believe that's the default setup, although some people have reported issues if the wifi requires a consent page to fully connect. There may be a way to stop that from happening, but I'm not familiar with it.

More specific question: Have you set your phone to automatically connect to that particular store's wifi or is it any "public Xfinity wifi" that your watch is connecting to?

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I am using NumberSync. However, I want to use T-Mobile DIGITS because I don't want to have two numbers.

Just apply for DIGITS through the TMO website. Once approved, they'll send you instructions to set up your devices, then you'll be ready to go. NOTE: you'll be assigned an alternative phone number that's tied to your phone and will connect to all the devices you set up on DIGITS. All your calls, messages AND data will be connected to your phone account and will not show on your other devices.

anon(463177)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
To answer your original question, it has nothing to do with how far you are away since you have the LTE version. When you first leave Bluetooth range, your device goes into standalone mode, after a little bit it connects remotely. It just doesn't happen instantly, I used to wonder the same exact thing. Turns out, it just takes a second to connect to the servers

Here's a twist - I don't use BT or wifi. Just the network. TMob Digits shares my cell number on the watch. But it still moves between Standalone and Remotely Connected pretty much at random. Any ideas???

fonephool

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes, the bluetooth portion should work with any compatible phone on any network without adding a line. The main difference is that by adding a line you would not be required to use bluetooth or even have your phone turned on. The AT&T models I ordered actually have their own phone numbers.

lilac652

Dec 29, 2017
Visit site
Then yes. You can make calls while in standalone mode or remote mode.

also turning off WiFi probably won't stop the watch from connecting remotely than. The watch will connect over the cellular network.

So I have a gear s3 LTE. When I remote connect, it forwards and uses my cell phone number the way I want it to (I use NumberSync or share or whatever from verizon). Theoretically, when will it not be able to remotely connect? (I see some other threads about the remote connection error-ing and issues regarding it, but assume remote connect does not have any issues).

Also, is the reason it works because I have the cellular data connection? I don't want to pay $10/month for nothing!

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
So I have a gear s3 LTE. When I remote connect, it forwards and uses my cell phone number the way I want it to (I use NumberSync or share or whatever from verizon). Theoretically, when will it not be able to remotely connect? (I see some other threads about the remote connection error-ing and issues regarding it, but assume remote connect does not have any issues).

Also, is the reason it works because I have the cellular data connection? I don't want to pay $10/month for nothing!
Theoretically it should only not remotely connect when your cell phone is off or has no internet connection.

afblangley

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Without a cellular plan on the watch, it would not be able to independently handle calls, texts, or run any app that requires data. It would need to be connected via BT to a phone (or wifi).

KruseLudsMobile

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Without a cellular plan on the watch, it would not be able to independently handle calls, texts, or run any app that requires data. It would need to be connected via BT to a phone (or wifi).
If the Gear S3 (Non-LTE version) is connected to the phone by Bluetooth or wifi, then does it have all the functionality the LTE version has?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance