What eventually sealed the deal for me to pick up an S3 was to take advantage of the full color, vivid screen and the Always on Display option and the thousands of available watch faces. Though it's still obvious it's a digital screen and not an actual watch, it still adds style rather a watch like the Pebble Time with the muted AOD and low-resolution watch faces.

However, I didn't do quite enough research, and I was a bit disappointed only to find that even with AOD, many of the nice watch faces when dimmed went so far as to be just a blank face with tick marks and minute and hour hands. So I had to limit myself to faces that didn't scale back so far. But I found Flaunt, and while it needs to be reset every thirty minutes, can keep the screen on and the watch looking nicer.

Just curious, but are the majority of people that much more concerned about battery life? I use the fitness trackers, but more from a curiosity standpoint, so I can see where someone that is heavy into fitness tracking may need more battery life. But for me, I don't mind dropping the watch on the charger every 36 hours or so.
    02-25-2017 09:33 AM
    so I can see where someone that is heavy into fitness tracking may need more battery life. But for me, I don't mind dropping the watch on the charger every 36 hours or so.
    Many S3 users don't get anywhere close to 36 hours before needing charging. Sure it's possible if you're a light user and keep everything off, but if you actually want your watch to do something it's going to have a higher burn rate.

I didn't buy an S3 for fitness tracking, for me its a communication device and time keeper. As such, it must always display the time, and provide basic information, which requires internet connectivity. And it must work independently from my phone. Fulfilling these requirements means using AOD and LTE. At the end of a busy 18 hour day, I may have less than 15% battery.

While my use case may not be typical, technology is not at the point where battery consumption isn't an issue under normal conditions. Look at the threads on the LG Sport and see the contortions needed to get through the day. The Gear S3 has better battery efficiency than any other full featured smartwatch, but there's still plenty room for improvement.
    02-26-2017 10:04 AM
    What eventually sealed the deal for me to pick up an S3 was to take advantage of the full color, vivid screen and the Always on Display option and the thousands of available watch faces. Though it's still obvious it's a digital screen and not an actual watch, it still adds style rather a watch like the Pebble Time with the muted AOD and low-resolution watch faces.

However, I didn't do quite enough research, and I was a bit disappointed only to find that even with AOD, many of the nice watch faces when dimmed went so far as to be just a blank face with tick marks and minute and hour hands. So I had to limit myself to faces that didn't scale back so far. But I found Flaunt, and while it needs to be reset every thirty minutes, can keep the screen on and the watch looking nicer.

Just curious, but are the majority of people that much more concerned about battery life? I use the fitness trackers, but more from a curiosity standpoint, so I can see where someone that is heavy into fitness tracking may need more battery life. But for me, I don't mind dropping the watch on the charger every 36 hours or so.
    I use Watchmaker for my watchface and I have a bunch of watch faces that have very complete dimmed AOD watch faces so I don't need to use an app to keep it fully awake. I fully use my S3 and get very good battery life as well.
    PookiePrancer likes this.
    02-27-2017 10:14 AM
    I use Watchmaker for my watchface and I have a bunch of watch faces that have very complete dimmed AOD watch faces so I don't need to use an app to keep it fully awake. I fully use my S3 and get very good battery life as well.
    HI

I wanted to ask if anybody is having the same issue. When I have the galaxy watch on AOD mode the screen dims and when I wake up the watch(after time out period) to use is it there is a delay and the display flickers and the dials blink before I can start using watch functions. I have noticed that different watch faces have different animations so the blinking of the watch face may vary.

I would like to know is it just me ? is this normal ?
    11-17-2018 03:52 AM