Remove samsung pay

shawnreum

Banned
Feb 1, 2017
Visit site
Anyone find a way to remove samsung pay for gear s3?
Or even replace its button function with some other app or action?
I never use samsung pay and have no plans on using it. But keep hitting the button and its driving me crazy.

shawnreum

Banned
Feb 1, 2017
Visit site
Sorry, I tend to think it is baked into the os. I'm curious why you don't want to use it.
I dont want to use it because there's not enough places that use it in my area to credit its use. So its basically wasting a button function for an app I will never use.

Also in addition to that, for some reason or another, every time I have enabled it and applied my debit card to it. I end up with credit fraud on my card and my bank has to issue a new one.

james702283

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Any place that you can slide a card uses Samsung Pay. Samsung Pay uses MST and NFC unlike Android or Apple Pay who only use NFC.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I dont want to use it because there's not enough places that use it in my area to credit its use. So its basically wasting a button function for an app I will never use.

I can't tell by your name, do you live outside of the US? Do the majority of the businesses in your town only accept cash or check? Do the businesses in your town not accept debit/credit cards?

Also in addition to that, for some reason or another, every time I have enabled it and applied my debit card to it. I end up with credit fraud on my card and my bank has to issue a new one.

I'm no financial guru, but that sounds like an issue with your bank, not Samsung Pay. I'm fairly new to using SP, but so far with only a couple of weeks of use, more on my Gear S3 than my phone, I haven't had any issues. I only have one card set up in SP, simply because my other banks don't currently support it.

shawnreum

Banned
Feb 1, 2017
Visit site
In short...... I have no need for it. Would rather have a different app programmed to it. Even Samsung health would be more useful than Samsung pay

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
In short...... I have no need for it. Would rather have a different app programmed to it. Even Samsung health would be more useful than Samsung pay

Ok, well that's your prerogative. I still think you under estimate the value and security of using SP over your physical cards. Again, I don't see any way to reprogram the button. Maybe a different smart watch would better suit your needs?

shawnreum

Banned
Feb 1, 2017
Visit site
Ok, well that's your prerogative. I still think you under estimate the value and security of using SP over your physical cards. Again, I don't see any way to reprogram the button. Maybe a different smart watch would better suit your needs?
Right it is....... But forcing an app onto people is wrong when its not fully used by retailers. One reason I do not have a Samsung phone nor an iphone. And tell T-Mobile they should have offered the LG watch....... Yeah, I wouldn't be here than trying to remove bloat ware.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Right it is....... But forcing an app onto people is wrong when its not fully used by retailers.

Good grief, SP is more widely accepted and has more options than Android Pay and Apple Pay. The problem is not Samsung Pay. It's already been explained to you, any place that accepts a credit or debit card can use SP.

afblangley

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Right it is....... But forcing an app onto people is wrong when its not fully used by retailers. One reason I do not have a Samsung phone nor an iphone. And tell T-Mobile they should have offered the LG watch....... Yeah, I wouldn't be here than trying to remove bloat ware.
I agree the flexibility that programable buttons allows for would be a nice enhancement, though I think mobile payment via watch is brilliant. If you're unhappy with Samsung, T-mobile sells the ZTE Quartz running AW 2.0.

shawnreum

Banned
Feb 1, 2017
Visit site
Good grief, SP is more widely accepted and has more options than Android Pay and Apple Pay. The problem is not Samsung Pay. It's already been explained to you, any place that accepts a credit or debit card can use SP.

Another issue with Samsung pay is even if nfc is not used, over 50% of the card readers that I run across are chip only. This has made Samsung pay that much more useless.

Bloatware: unwanted software included on a new computer or mobile device by the manufacturer.

I have no more to say. You may like Samsung that much and their pay. But in all usefulness its wasted space on the device and both their nfc and mts are becoming eliminated at point of sale in my area.

afh3

May 15, 2015
Visit site
Another issue with Samsung pay is even if nfc is not used, over 50% of the card readers that I run across are chip only. This has made Samsung pay that much more useless.

I read, with interest, this notion that Samsung Pay may be end-of-life'd by chip-only readers (which, honestly, I've yet to see) and can view this as a valid proposition.

Something seems a bit amiss, however - and that would be the fact that so very many banks are coming on-board with Samsung Pay (and other device-based payment systems) every month. Certainly, if your supposition is correct, then the banks themselves must be aware that they are participating in a dead-end technology when they allow this. It would bring along questions about justifications for the costs of deployment and support for a system that they must know is about to be discontinued.

So, and I emphasize that this is purely anecdotal information, I contacted US Bank and expressed concern that I would not be able to use Samsung Pay in the near future.

After being passed around a couple of times, I reached what they purported to be their "Digital Wallet" group. This being a Sunday here in the US, I don't necessarily expect an answer that doesn't come from a piece of paper hung over the customer service representative's phone, but I was told that, what is apparently referred to as the EMV standard, will continue to work with the Samsung Pay (or "contactless payments", as I was told) for the foreseeable future. Additionally, apparently payments made with the Samsung Pay system will satisfy the merchant fraud liability clause that is enforced regardless if the merchant does or does not implement the EMV standard.

I suppose the discontinuation of the readers that are capable of processing NFC requests could be considered, but it would seem to be directly contrary to their best interests to do so. Samsung Pay, Apple Pay and Android Pay all have numbered days if this is to be the case.

I would be interested to know where, exactly, the information that you've received came from - as I will continue this inquiry with US Bank on Monday if for no other reason than personal curiosity.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

Bloatware: unwanted software included on a new computer or mobile device by the manufacturer.

I have no more to say. You may like Samsung that much and their pay. But in all usefulness its wasted space on the device and both their nfc and mts are becoming eliminated at point of sale in my area.
You really don't understand Samsung Pay. I use it regularly with chip reading pos units and my cards have chips, it doesn't make any difference.

It is your right to use or not use Samsung Pay, but you should not be spreading false information.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Yep, used my GS3 this morning at Wal-Mart. I only have 1 debit card set up and it is a chipped card. Worked faster than using the card itself, and faster than my phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay