Download map on gear s3

Leoblab

May 18, 2017
Visit site
Hello everybody :)
I want to buy the gear s3, but I have to ask some questions first.

1) Is it possible to download maps on gear s3 so I can use its GPS to track my run/walk without carrying the smartphone with me?

2) if the answer on questione 1) is "no", does the Gear s3 record my run/walk with its GPS sensor, so that I can sync the data with my phone after the training?

The fact is that I need to run/walk and record the data (including the route) without take the s7 edge with me.

Joseph Guy1

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I have the s3 and and after an few mins walking the tracking kicks in and starts up ,after an bit of time the watch lets me know that I reached my goal and tells me how many steps and other stuff , now as for gps I am not sure since I never used it but I try it out and let you know unless some one else knows

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I have been using just my Iconx ear buds and my Gear S3 for running. Leaving my phone at home. When I get home and my GS3 and phone connect, they sync and then in Samsung Health you can check out your route as depicted on the Google map.

Attachments

• 1698.jpg
    1698.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 82

Leoblab

May 18, 2017
Visit site
I have been using just my Iconx ear buds and my Gear S3 for running. Leaving my phone at home. When I get home and my GS3 and phone connect, they sync and then in Samsung Health you can check out your route as depicted on the Google map.

Ok, 11B1P, thank you very much!
So I can run/walk with my S3 only and, then, sync everything with my phone.

What about downloading maps on the S3? Is it possible? Or I need the mobile phone to use the smartwatch as a GPS Nav?

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, I've only had my S3 for a couple weeks, but, there is an app called HERE WeGo that you can install on the S3 and you'll also need to install it on your phone. I recommend looking at it in the app stores and see if it fills your need.

michail71

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Do you guys with Samsung phones get a map app icon by default? I've managed to open a map from a notification but I have no way to directly open a map with the stock apps.

But back to Leoblab's question. The phone will handle everything. The watch will sync the coordinates and other data back to the phone maps will be used there. I think having them paired at the start, which should be the normal situation, helps with the initial GPS accuracy.

Internally in the phone it appears to use HERE maps when or if you can ever get one to display. I think it still gets fed from the phone.

I have a phablet phone so it's nice getting to leave the phone behind on a run.

daves221

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I downloaded one of the map apps when it first came out and then tried navigating while I did a 10 minute drive to see what would happen. The app worked great, but took 50% of my battery for that 10 minute experiment. (However I did have turn by turn directions on.. Actually very impressive how well it worked).

If mapping is really important, check out the Garmin Phoenix 5x .. much larger and much more expensive but built better for mapping (however I don't think you can put music on it).

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Do you guys with Samsung phones get a map app icon by default? I've managed to open a map from a notification but I have no way to directly open a map with the stock apps.

I have an S7 and I don't have any map icons, just the HERE WeGo app I installed.

NYCMetsPDX

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
I have an S7 and I don't have any map icons, just the HERE WeGo app I installed.

I know this is an old thread, but out of curiosity can you still see the "Here WeGo" app in the Galaxy store when you search for it? I have a Gear Sport and downloaded the app on 11/9/17, however now when I search for it (on another Gear Sport) I can't find the app in the store. Just wondering if anyone else is seeing the same.

Thanks

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I know this is an old thread, but out of curiosity can you still see the "Here WeGo" app in the Galaxy store when you search for it? I have a Gear Sport and downloaded the app on 11/9/17, however now when I search for it (on another Gear Sport) I can't find the app in the store. Just wondering if anyone else is seeing the same.

Thanks

I just looked and it's still available.

NYCMetsPDX

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
I did, checked case sensitivity as well. There are a few other folks having the same issue but I'm not sure what could be the root cause.

SmiCH

Dec 25, 2017
Visit site
Hello everyone,
I've got an lg g4 phone and the gear s3. Is tehre any way to get here wego on my gear? I saw it is possible by using samsung apps but i don't have it on my lg....
Thanks for your help!

Devhux

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I did, checked case sensitivity as well. There are a few other folks having the same issue but I'm not sure what could be the root cause.
Not seeing it on my Pixel 2 XL either. Could potentially be a deal breaker as I rely on maps for navigation a fair bit.

Perry Dolo Duvall

Dec 28, 2017
Visit site
Hello everybody :)
I want to buy the gear s3, but I have to ask some questions first.

1) Is it possible to download maps on gear s3 so I can use its GPS to track my run/walk without carrying the smartphone with me?

2) if the answer on questione 1) is "no", does the Gear s3 record my run/walk with its GPS sensor, so that I can sync the data with my phone after the training?

The fact is that I need to run/walk and record the data (including the route) without take the s7 edge with me.

There is an app called Gear Navigator S (standalone). Its about as good as Google maps. It's either $1.99 or $2.99 but worth it as you don't need your phone for turn based navigation. It also pairs with an app called Gear places, which allows you to search locations you might be interested in. The best part is you look up a local zoo or something, select it in Gear Places and it automatically pops up on Gear Navigator S. Best paid apps for navigation in my opinion. S health should cover the rest.

jaihawk

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
There is an app called Gear Navigator S (standalone). Its about as good as Google maps. It's either $1.99 or $2.99 but worth it as you don't need your phone for turn based navigation. It also pairs with an app called Gear places, which allows you to search locations you might be interested in. The best part is you look up a local zoo or something, select it in Gear Places and it automatically pops up on Gear Navigator S. Best paid apps for navigation in my opinion. S health should cover the rest.

Where are you finding the Gear Navigator S?

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Where are you finding the Gear Navigator S?

On your phone, go to your "Galaxy Apps" app. Click on Gear in the top right. Then in the search box start typing Gear Navigator and it should auto populate with 3 different standalone map apps.

Kamolga

May 2, 2018
Visit site
Hi,

I should receive an S3 within days. From most biking/tourism sites, it is possible to download GPX files. Is there now a way to directly open such a file to quickly check directions when in doubt? Or with a phone through Bluetooth?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463