Disable Gear S3 HR monitor or a fitness app that runs on phone with updates on watch?

mjstowe1

May 27, 2017
Visit site
I am coming from the Apple Watch Series 2. This watch allows you to connect 3rd part HR monitors and it would use them instead since the wrist monitors are iffy at best. I know the Gear S3 does not allow this (crazy to me), but is there any way to disable the built in HR monitor or is there a fitness app that runs on the Android phone and you use the watch to get live updates? Every app I have tried does its own thing on the watch. For example...Under Armour fitness app....I start a workout on my Galaxy S8 but when I got to the watch, it does not know I started it on the phone. If I start it on the watch it goes right to the unreliable Gear HR monitor. Same thing with the Samsung health app.

I use the Rhythm+ arm band (which works really well) and it works fine on the Samsung S8 phone. I just want to be able to use it there while monitoring real time info on the watch.

I am sure I am confusing things, but hopefully someone knows what I am talking about.

Thanks much

jsk0703

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
I just use the S Health app on the watch and that's good enough for me. The data from S Health syncs to myfitnesspal where I track food. Probably not the most accurate setup out there but it works for me.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I just use the S Health app on the watch and that's good enough for me. The data from S Health syncs to myfitnesspal where I track food. Probably not the most accurate setup out there but it works for me.

Hmmm, do you have the MFP app installed on your S3?

I don't have the Gear S3 app installed and there is no syncing between Samsung Health and MFP if I look at MFP on the web.

michail71

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Have you tested the accuracy of the HR monitor on yourself?

I've found it to be accurate on me and provides a good 24 hour RHR measurement. I've found my heart rate goes up slightly the first few hours after I first fall asleep and drops when I have coffee/caffeine. I was confused about the coffee until reading that it's normal and has been shown in scientific studies.

I think security may be tied into the biometrics as well since it will pin lock the watch once you take it off. But I'm not sure if that is pulse monitoring or something else.

michail71

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Hmmm, do you have the MFP app installed on your S3?

I don't have the Gear S3 app installed and there is no syncing between Samsung Health and MFP if I look at MFP on the web.

You can connect them to sync it but I had to turn S Health off in MFP as it duplicated workouts from the likes of MapMyRun (which synced to S Health).

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
You can connect them to sync it but I had to turn S Health off in MFP as it duplicated workouts from the likes of MapMyRun (which synced to S Health).

I have a Premium MFP account and I don't see anywhere that I can connect my Samsung Health account. It sounds like MapMyRun is the go-between for SH and MFP. If that's the case, then there is no direct syncing between SH and MFP.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay