Notifications when not connected to phone

wpfan2be

Apr 12, 2017
Visit site
Hi. Gear S3 LTE connected to S8+ AT&T and using ATT NumberSync. So every time the watch disconnects from BT, I start getting all previously read text messages again. Sometimes could be over 100 messages for one contact. Once this starts, there's nothing you can do but wait until the watch finishes getting all the texts! So its going crazy receiving texts.

Happening since I got the S3, I recently did a factory reset on the phone, and was hoping this would stop this, but did not. Anyone else having this issue?

Also, is there a way to remove texts from the watch without those texts removed also getting removed from the phone?

Thanks

creekwater1482

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
I've had this issue as well. Hasn't happened recently, knock on wood, but definitely had it happen. I disconnect frequently so I'm not sure why it doesn't do it to me all the time. Att, number synch, s6 edge at the time. Got the note 8 last week and hasn't happened yet but did when I had the s6 edge.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
That is strange, I have had no issues with my s3 stock app, it is on Verizon. But I have not heard of many having this issue even on ATT

wpfan2be

Apr 12, 2017
Visit site
Couple more issues forgot to mention. After a while, could be hours or days, texts stop showing up on the watch. I had to turn it off and back on and then they work. In the gear app, I setup which apps I want notification from. After a while they become unchecked and only the standard ones like mail etc are checked...

Mattman86

Jun 12, 2017
Visit site
I called AT&T about it and they told me that it is a bug with NumberSync that they are currently working on. Apparently, when you get a message with your main line, it gets forwarded to the watch's line then waits there for your watch to connect to the network.

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I have the same issue on T-Mobile with DIGITS and Note 8. Haven't really tried to figure it out since I've been more worried about getting it to make and receive calls when not connected to my phone.

anon(463177)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm on my 2d watch and 3d work order with tMob about that. But now the tech "swears" they know the problem. Hope so cuz the price is not worth it for a tethered watch.

wpfan2be

Apr 12, 2017
Visit site
I was getting ready to contact Samsung because I thought that I maybe had a bad watch. Now I see it is not the watch but software related. I see TMo has the same issues as I do with AT&T. Yes it is frustrating to have to turn off and back on the watch everytime texts stop coming thru, and crazy to have to either delete or go thru all texts already read everytime the watch disconnects from BT and reloads all text messages. Wish there was a "day" sync option to minimize the amount of texts that get reloaded since "week" is the smallest time period.

Do you guys think this will get fixed or they will just wait until the next watch release?

creekwater1482

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
Well if it's software related doubt they'd wait for a new watch, especially since the S3 is still in the lineup. Stranger things have happened though. I typically restart my watch and phone at least once a week anyway so that doesn't bother me too much. However, the messages thing doesn't happen to me all the time so it's not like I'm forced to reset daily. I could see how that would get annoying.

heatdissipation

Sep 13, 2016
Visit site
I just got my S3 LTE from att last week and I have this same issue, as soon as it disconnects from Bluetooth I getting all the messages at once. It doesn't happen every time to me either, but it's frustrating

wpfan2be

Apr 12, 2017
Visit site
no solution as far as I know for the Notifications when not connected. For the notifications not coming thru, turn the watch off and on, then repeat a few days later when they fail to come thru again... yes, it is a pain!!!

Dhawk1202

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm having a slightly different issue with Tmobile. Also using digits, and occasionally when my wife texts me the watch will show my name coming through as if im sending the text to myself. This seems to happen when I lose bluetooth connection. What am I missing?

wpfan2be

Apr 12, 2017
Visit site
Was hoping that with Tizen 3.0 maybe this would be fixed, but nope... So definitely looks like the carriers and their sync software is the problem here...

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
This is my biggest issue with the s3 everytime I walk away from phone I end up with 50 text messages on my watch. My watch will vibrate for a solid 2 minutes straight then I have to go through and look at all of them to clear the notification.

Whiskey619

May 14, 2017
Visit site
I've started putting my watch into do not disturb when I reboot my phone or leave bt range on purpose. It at least stops the watch from going nuts for a couple of minutes, but doesn't really did anything about the new "unread" messages

bigredgonzo

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I have a Verizon Branded LTE S3 and when I first got the watch it was doing the repeat the notification when disconnected. I went back to the Verizon store and asked about it and they said "Oops" the watch isn't set up correctly and fixed it immediately. I have no idea what they did, but now it works as it should or at least how I think I should.

BigRedGonzo.