Might Return To The Gear S3

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I had the first gen GEAR S but quickly went to Android Wear because I liked how seamless apps and notifications worked even if there wasn't an official "app." I really like what I've seen about the S3 but I am a little concerned it would be a step back in some ways from AW on app functionality.

For example. GroupMe allows you to preview pictures, reply and even "LIKE" posts, right on the watch. Outlook let's you reply, delete and Flag emails. Does this same functionality exist on the S3? Do I have to use the stock email app do get Reply, Flag or Delete options?

I feel Tizen is superior in many ways but I also like the "just works" features of Android Wear 2.0 when it comes to apps.

Thanks in advance for the tips and suggestions.

Last edited:

convergent

Oct 3, 2017
Visit site
I just got the Gear S3 after using a Apple Watch for two years. I'm not disappointed... but everyone's use of these things is a bit different. I've never wanted to reply to emails from my watch. That said, if you use the built in email app, you can reply to an email from Gear S3, and you can actually type your own reply with a T9 keyboard. I don't think you can type on the Apple Watch... at least I've never seen it. There are definitely fewer apps available for it compared to Apple Watch, but nothing I can't live without quite frankly.

I was really dreading giving up my Apple Watch if I moved to a Note 8. I've been pleasantly surprised with the Gear S3 experience. Its so much more intuitive with the rotating dial, and it looks so much better being more watch looking.

I went to the gym for the first time with it last night and like it much better since I wasn't having to swipe with sweaty hands to navigate the workout app.

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I just got the Gear S3 after using a Apple Watch for two years. I'm not disappointed... but everyone's use of these things is a bit different. I've never wanted to reply to emails from my watch. That said, if you use the built in email app, you can reply to an email from Gear S3, and you can actually type your own reply with a T9 keyboard. I don't think you can type on the Apple Watch... at least I've never seen it. There are definitely fewer apps available for it compared to Apple Watch, but nothing I can't live without quite frankly.

I was really dreading giving up my Apple Watch if I moved to a Note 8. I've been pleasantly surprised with the Gear S3 experience. Its so much more intuitive with the rotating dial, and it looks so much better being more watch looking.

I went to the gym for the first time with it last night and like it much better since I wasn't having to swipe with sweaty hands to navigate the workout app.

I do believe it is more polished than Android Wear but worried about the loss of functionality. I could try one from Best Buy...as a platinum member, I have 45 days on returns.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Never used AW, but loving the S3. I don't use email on my watch, so can't help there. I do get pictures in my text messages, and I'm using the stock texting app on the watch. I recommend trying it. If it doesn't do what you need, return it. I find it hard to think the app availability is not as good as AW....

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Never used AW, but loving the S3. I don't use email on my watch, so can't help there. I do get pictures in my text messages, and I'm using the stock texting app on the watch. I recommend trying it. If it doesn't do what you need, return it. I find it hard to think the app availability is not as good as AW....

I can live without Google Maps. Not finding it useful on the watch.

I used the aforementioned GroupMe and Allo a lot and I like how I can respond to those apps on Android Wear without a matching watch app. I'd be curious to see if those apps allow response on the Gear S3.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I can live without Google Maps. Not finding it useful on the watch.

I used the aforementioned GroupMe and Allo a lot and I like how I can respond to those apps on Android Wear without a matching watch app. I'd be curious to see if those apps allow response on the Gear S3.
You can reply to groupme messages with it, and you can also like the most recent message that you've gotten. I use groupme often. Don't use Allo, but I just tried it. You can reply to messages with it, as well.

Cherries01

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I got my S3 Frontier yesterday thru T-Mobile. I kinda like it... I think it somewhat works nicely as a standalone watch. I wished Tizen has quality apps such as google play store & app store. Most of the apps in the Tizen store are crap!

One thing I wished that Tizen watch would have is quality apps that would tie with the Samsung phones, like facebook, IG, etc.

convergent

Oct 3, 2017
Visit site
I got my S3 Frontier yesterday thru T-Mobile. I kinda like it... I think it somewhat works nicely as a standalone watch. I wished Tizen has quality apps such as google play store & app store. Most of the apps in the Tizen store are crap!

One thing I wished that Tizen watch would have is quality apps that would tie with the Samsung phones, like facebook, IG, etc.

I agree that I wish Tizen had more apps, but after 2 years with the AW, most of the things I used on it... like 90% of my use... was the stuff that came with it. I did a lot of playing with apps and loading / trying when I first got it, but most of them ended up being novelty that didn't really save me a lot of time. I would not want Facebook on my watch... stuff like that is not good to have a constant feed of. I have all notifications on Facebook turned off anyway, and I control when I want to go look at it.

Cherries01

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I agree that I wish Tizen had more apps, but after 2 years with the AW, most of the things I used on it... like 90% of my use... was the stuff that came with it. I did a lot of playing with apps and loading / trying when I first got it, but most of them ended up being novelty that didn't really save me a lot of time. I would not want Facebook on my watch... stuff like that is not good to have a constant feed of. I have all notifications on Facebook turned off anyway, and I control when I want to go look at it.

True that, I think I was hoping that we would see notifications from FB, IG, etc that pop up on the S3 gear, when its not linked to the phone. After having the phone a couple days now, I notice that when I linked the phone and the watch together, that's when I see FB, IG, etc notification. But totally agree, we wouldn't be able to browse and stuff on the watch anyways.

rinkeedink

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
My use case is responding to texts and whatsapp messages on GS3 classic wifi model and activity tracking and making payments. I tried switching to android wear and found just as cumbersome to download podcasts for standalone listening despite podcasts in google play or pocketcasts app for android wear. Both ecosystems have a ways to go in that regard in my opinion. I have also found the Tizen GUI with bezel simply superior, and the watchfaces better for Tizen. I like the MST tech for payments used with Tizen, and I use it alot, nice to have choice for MST or NFC, not just NFC with android pay. As a result AP is less available to use at terminals right now, but that will continue to improve. To each his own. cant speak to apple watch experience.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech