Tizen 3.0 and Samsung SHOULD learn THIS from Apple Watch

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes it's the little things that make a big difference.

There's a setting on Apple Watches asks if you wear your watch on your LEFT WRIST or RIGHT WRIST. Now most wear it on their left, BUT, most left handed people wear it on their right wrist. Now already I've lost probably 90% of you who don't care cuz you're right handed and your watch sits on your left hand. But the other 10% of the world this would make a big difference. If you don't think it's a big deal, then try pretending to reach over your watch to press the Home or Back buttons for a full day on the opposite side of the watch and you'll see it's not a natural move.

Tizen recently updated to 3.0 with lots of great features, but one they REMOVED was the ability to swipe down to go back a screen. And doing so pushed 10% of it's users further away.

Now, as far as I know, the only way to "go back" is to hit the back button on the side. PROBLEM: these buttons are inconveniently located on the far side of the watch for that 10% (most of them anyway). Is this annoying? YES! So what had Apple done? They've included a simple setting on their watch that tells the watch what hand you're gonna wear the watch on so you can flip it around so the button/scroll wheel faces your opposite hand which is MUCH more convenient.

tizen vs apple watch.jpg

Simple, yet necessary. A quick reach over to the watch and the back and home buttons are right there facing your opposite hand. But NOT on the Samsung Gear S3 watches with Tizen 3.0 Perhaps no one at Samsung is left handed. Perhaps there's more left handed people at Apple. Either way, Samsung/Tizen could learn a thing or two from Apple here. Samsung already goes halfway there when you dock the watch as the screen flips 90 degrees. So how hard would it be to flip another 90 degress? While I believe Samsung is missing out on utilizing their 90 degree rotation when docked to give users the OPTION to have a customizable dock/bedside clock that's always-on, I believe allowing for an option for 100 out of every 1000 Samsung users should be categorized as important.

Allow us to flip the watch around on our right wrist so the buttons face the right way. I figured when the swipe down to go back feature went away (which was present in previous Gear watches as well) with this Tizen 3.0 update, that there would be another way to go back, but sadly there isn't...at least that I can find. Samsung needs to learn from Apple here.

One final UI note, for right wrist wearers, if you cross your arms in front of you and you're wearing your watch on your right wrist, it's often covered up by your left forearm, right? Well, for many it is. But if your watch shifts to awake mode and is being long pressed by your right forearm, guess what happens to the watch face? It says "oh you wanna swap me out for a different watch face?" and I look down at my watch and it's either changed accidentally to a different face or it's now in that mode where you go left or right to choose a face. Doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, it's really annoying. There should be a OPTIONAL setting for us forgotten 10% that says "disable long press on watch face".

I love this watch. It's the best smartwatch I've ever owned and I've owned several, but I can't lie that I'm very disappointed that Tizen 3.0 not only doesn't address left handed users, but it actually managed to make the user experience, at least for us 10%, a little more unfriendly.

Apple = 1
Samsung = 0

And yeah, I'd be the first one to say that if we added EVERYTHING up that the Gear S3 would beat out the Apple watch, but for those left handers like me who wear watches on their right wrist, Samsung is going in the wrong direction.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious on what you're basing your percentages on. 10% pushed away because you can't swipe down to go back a screen? Feature I never used or even knew about.

Other than that, yeah I agree. I think an option to switch the screen around for right wrist wearers is a great idea. You should suggest it to Samsung direct, not here. Sammy doesn't read these forums.

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious on what you're basing your percentages on. 10% pushed away because you can't swipe down to go back a screen? Feature I never used or even knew about.

Other than that, yeah I agree. I think an option to switch the screen around for right wrist wearers is a great idea. You should suggest it to Samsung direct, not here. Sammy doesn't read these forums.

Where is the link to make suggestions directly to Samsung? I called them once a long time ago and immediately realized the support staff I was talking to had never used a Gear S3 so my question was useless.

As for being pushed away...10% is based on the fact that a google search told me 10% of people are left handed. I've also read that percentage is more, but I figured I'd keep it easy and simple here. And it's not so much that they're pushed away, it's that they're pushed further away as in cared even less about. The swipe down feature was a long standing Tizen feature going back several watches and at least helped alleviate the NEED for right hand wearing users to reach awkwardly over the watch to press the back button located on the far side of the watch. Most users would never have cared much about that feature or possibly have ever noticed or used it because it wasn't necessary for them with the watch on their left hand when it's so easy to quickly hit the back button when it's right there on the near side of the watch closest to the opposite hand.

bustanut666

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. I hear you about the people who wear it on the right hand. But if u flip the screen around on the s3 frontier. The numbers for second hand will be upside down. Prob why they didn't do it.

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. I hear you about the people who wear it on the right hand. But if u flip the screen around on the s3 frontier. The numbers for second hand will be upside down. Prob why they didn't do it.

I'm not sure I understand. The whole screen rotates 180 degrees on the Apple Watch. Numbers, letters, apps, everything. Just as it goes 90 degrees when you dock it, going another 90 degrees would make it a complete flip and would solve so much for right handed users. Especially now that there is (as far as I know) no other way to "Go Back" besides hitting that button. (Again...Prior to Tizen 3.0 you could swipe down to go back).

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure I understand. The whole screen rotates 180 degrees on the Apple Watch. Numbers, letters, apps, everything. Just as it goes 90 degrees when you dock it, going another 90 degrees would make it a complete flip and would solve so much for right handed users. Especially now that there is (as far as I know) no other way to "Go Back" besides hitting that button. (Again...Prior to Tizen 3.0 you could swipe down to go back).
On the Frontier, the numbers are sketched in to the bezel. It would be upside down if the watch were flipped around.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I know left handed people who wear their watches on the left hand though.

Anyway, as it is, there are always options. I hear the Huawei watch is good, as is the LG one. Then there's still Fossil and others. They all work regardless of phone brand.

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
On the Frontier, the numbers are sketched in to the bezel. It would be upside down if the watch were flipped around.

Ah, I see now. You're right. Hardly noticed those, but you're right they would be upside down. Still... without a doubt... I'll take the OPTION to make that flip every time over what's currently in place. It's choosing functionality over aesthetics and 90% of users won't have to ever make that choice. In a perfect world they'd have a left and right hand version and a male and female version. But as it is, they have a left hand wearing mostly male appealing watch and it's still badass. I just wish it wasn't made awkward to use with this recent update. But...I have a glimmer of hope...

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC