Tizen 3.0 Battery Drain

rinkeedink

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Who else is experiencing this? BT model Classic, wifi, NFC and location all turned off. AOD on.

Typically with these settings I would end the day at 55% battery from 100% before the update.

Last night I ended at 26% with typical daily usage.

bustanut666

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
i had batt drain first day too. Its highly recommended after a major update to do a reset on the watch. I did a reset and it was a little better but after a full charge later that night. The next day battery life was fine again.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I have the Frontier, BT on, wifi off, NFC on and AOD off. AOD for me has always been a battery eater. I don't need it as I have the wake gesture turned on. But battery life is ok so far.

With the auto activity tracking turned on now and my gym usage, I haven't had the update long enough to give a good review of the battery usage. Mine was down to around 30% so I threw it on the charger just a few mins ago.

rinkeedink

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I'll give another reset a shot bc what else can I do? I already updated 5 individual gear apps that needed an update after 3.0. My concern is that the one or more of the other apps that have not required an update yet after 3.0 are causing the drain. You know, to me, what sucks about trying a reset as a fix that is the watch was reset and all data lost on it when you install the 3.0 update anyhow, so an additional reset being needed seems like just a sloppy software update to me.

rinkeedink

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Haha, yeah. Now I'm getting notices that I've set new step count records! Uh hello, I set step count records back in July...

exactly...this is not the best update process...what's the point of backing up gear and health data to the samsung account before a reset if restoring that data after reset does not preserve ALL your data including step and health stats?

I back up gear and samsung health before the reset but I still lost my 762 (pathetic I know haha) steps today.

daves221

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
i had batt drain first day too. Its highly recommended after a major update to do a reset on the watch. I did a reset and it was a little better but after a full charge later that night. The next day battery life was fine again.

Same, only just did a few reboots of the watch (2) and next day was back to normal. Not even sure the reboots were needed.

pappy35

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Mine would always give me 3 full days on a charge (or about 1.3% per hour). So far it's down 64% in just 16 hours (~4% per hour). Not good at all.

dmlv

May 11, 2013
Visit site
just opinion based on experience with multiple devices over the years, developers always recommend a factory reset whenever there is major firmware update.
I did the reset on mine after the update and my battery usage is identical to before 3.0.
sometimes it's good just to start fresh.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Mine would always give me 3 full days on a charge (or about 1.3% per hour). So far it's down 64% in just 16 hours (~4% per hour). Not good at all.

But, you've also been playing around with it, checking out all the new features/changes. So you can expect some higher battery drain.

pappy35

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
But, you've also been playing around with it, checking out all the new features/changes. So you can expect some higher battery drain.

No. Actually I haven't. I use it as a watch and a heart rate monitor (not using continuous) and sleep tracker. To me this isn't like a major phone update, I just did the update, reset the Samsung Health setting back to basically nothing (hate all the nags), and checked to make sure continuous monitoring wasn't turned-on by default. Other than that, all it did was hang on my wrist. It's better today, after 13 hours it's down 22% (~1.7% per hour).

I realize that many use tis like a phone (games/calls/streaming/etc.) but I got it as a compromise: I needed a health tracker and rather than wear a Fitbit AND a heavy watch, I bought a Frontier and combined the two into one device. I don't interact with it other than dismissing calls and checking notifications and definitely don't want to have to take it off and charge it every day, or even every other day.

Petruccio

Nov 29, 2017
Visit site
just opinion based on experience with multiple devices over the years, developers always recommend a factory reset whenever there is major firmware update.
I did the reset on mine after the update and my battery usage is identical to before 3.0.
sometimes it's good just to start fresh.

This recommendation is a dumb moment of otherwise smart device.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
What is it dumb to do a reset?

I think the comment was a little harsh, but in defense, I've never heard of devs recommending a factory reset after an update. I've never had to factory reset my devices after an update. Now granted, factory resetting your S3 wouldn't require a lot of work to get it back up and running, but a factory reset is not always necessary. I updated my S3 to 3.0 without a factory reset afterwards and have had no issues. I know this is my experience and others may find it opposite to their experience, but sometimes a simple check of the apps, turns out, they just need an update.

catstide

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
I think the comment was a little harsh, but in defense, I've never heard of devs recommending a factory reset after an update. I've never had to factory reset my devices after an update. Now granted, factory resetting your S3 wouldn't require a lot of work to get it back up and running, but a factory reset is not always necessary. I updated my S3 to 3.0 without a factory reset afterwards and have had no issues. I know this is my experience and others may find it opposite to their experience, but sometimes a simple check of the apps, turns out, they just need an update.

Just 2 days in to this s3...but how do you check apps to see if they need updated?

rinkeedink

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Go into your samsung gear app and you can set it to give you app update notifications or go into galaxy app store and check your my apps list.

daves221

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
still not happy with battery life 3 weeks after the update, including a few reboots but no factory reset. watch face and shealth seem to be the primary battery consumers, as they were before but now they battery drains more quickly. used to end the day with 20%-30% (long day), now I need to charge at work to get through the day.

RicKaysen

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I hadn't used my S3 in many months. It just sat there, powered off, on the charging base when with time on my hands, I decided to update it and pair it to my Note8. I started with a 100% charge and within ten minutes, it drained to 0% and shut down. Is that normal? I charged it again and applied the update and haven't yet used it enough to observe any change in battery behavior. Not sure I trust it to wear all day away from it's base.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC