I spent over 2 hours last nite with att reps trying to enable numbersync to work between the s3 and s8 phones.. the s8 phone is an unlocked phone (not bought through att), only to find out today via another rep that the phone must be bought via ATT or truly att branded.. which i find a bit absurd, as i think others have succeeded..

Is this really the case.. anyone know or have this same experience?

Specifically this error would appear after going through the get started via the watch then on the phone (after creating a seperate accessid):
    Oh darn! We can't enable device syncing on this phone. Want to find out more? Call us at 800.331.0500 so we can help.
    (MSSITWINREL12)

Thanks
    01-03-2018 11:16 AM
    If this turns out to really be an unlocked phone issue (which is a bit ridiculous), i think i read that it might be possible to take my sim card out of that phone and put in another phone that is att branded, enable number sync then put the card back in my s8 and go from there
    01-03-2018 11:25 AM
    When I went to an ATT store with this problem, the rep who helped me entered the IMEI from my phone into their database and was then able to to enable numbersync.
    01-03-2018 11:54 AM
    When I went to an ATT store with this problem, the rep who helped me entered the IMEI from my phone into their database and was then able to to enable numbersync.
    Thanks for the reply.. so yours was an unlocked (non att) phone as well? That seems to be a simple solution if a rep is willing to do that.
    01-03-2018 12:05 PM
    The rep i've been in chat with says now, that the imei is properly registered, so may not be the issue, but that hd voice doesnt show on the account, so they are trying to work around that (VOLTE )
    01-03-2018 12:08 PM
    They now claim that i need to goto a samsung experience location (best buy) and have them flash it with the att rom to make this work for hd voice etc..
    01-03-2018 12:17 PM
    They now claim that i need to goto a samsung experience location (best buy) and have them flash it with the att rom to make this work for hd voice etc..
    I read somewhere that hd voice can be activated using a new ATT sim card. I haven't checked with ATT, but I would try going directly to an ATT store rather than doing this by chat.
    01-03-2018 12:45 PM
    I read somewhere that hd voice can be activated using a new ATT sim card. I haven't checked with ATT, but I would try going directly to an ATT store rather than doing this by chat.
    You mean swapping my sim card to a phone that supports it then back? If so the rep claims that wont fix the issue.. the card i have now is an att card?

I guess the plus side of branding with a firmware flash would be things like wifi calling, unsure.. though i hate to go through the hassle of best buy.
    01-03-2018 01:10 PM
    I have a Note8, unbranded, US Unlock version, that I purchased direct from Samsung. I connects to my ATT Gear S3 Frontier via NumberSync with no problem.

I know that doesn't help in getting yours to sync, but just letting you know it CAN happen.

Cheers and good luck.
    01-04-2018 09:24 AM
    Spoke to an att rep again today who called me.. basically in my case the 950U1 s8 phone.. because its this model it wont work with numbersync they say.. they also contradicted the previous reps suggestion of taking the phone to the samsung experience place and having the att firmware flashed on it (or doing it at home).. saying it wont help.. that they need HD voice provisioned and it wont let them provision it (the phone wont).. they said swapping the sim card to a real att phone only may help for a short period, till the system does a sweep, sees a non att phone and reverts it (same with just adding the imei to the database).. There is also a good chance the recent update to either the s3 or the samsung s8 caused numbersync to do a detection for unlocked phones and not allow this (they indicated).

They said i could still try doing the firmware flash but it probably wouldnt work (i dug around online trying to find out which flash it would be and i didnt get too far, short of going to the store to do it at best buy samsung experience)

Really sucks, as the alternative, if i were that desperate to enable this feature (i dont think i am willing to go this far) would be to sell the old phones and get new att branded ones.. end up costing me the price of a new watch in the mix just to do that
    01-04-2018 10:42 AM