Watchface placebo effect?

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm fairly new to my S3 classic (a couple months). I've been dabbling in third party watch faces. Is it just me or does nothing work as well (meaning low battery drain, quick, integrated with weather app etc) as the ones done by Samsung?

The built in Samsung ones often have the shimmer effect that I like and I think they seem to have lower batter drain. But maybe that's my imagination.

Any suggestions for a good third party face with low battery drain and realistic appearance with weather and step percentage on the dial?

A nice AOD mode is bonus. I tend to be drawn towards the Samsung Active Classic, Urban Classic and Minimal if that helps.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the battery drain. Some of the 3rd party faces are so information rich, they do drain your watch faster. Look at Facer. There are dozens of faces available. Lots of them offer varying levels of information. Install the app on your phone and the companion app on your watch. Then make sure the app is selected before downloading a face to your watch.

ol_jackburton

Trusted Member
Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
I'm fairly new to my S3 classic (a couple months). I've been dabbling in third party watch faces. Is it just me or does nothing work as well (meaning low battery drain, quick, integrated with weather app etc) as the ones done by Samsung?

The built in Samsung ones often have the shimmer effect that I like and I think they seem to have lower batter drain. But maybe that's my imagination.

Any suggestions for a good third party face with low battery drain and realistic appearance with weather and step percentage on the dial?

A nice AOD mode is bonus. I tend to be drawn towards the Samsung Active Classic, Urban Classic and Minimal if that helps.

Absolutely, i have had zero luck finding a third party face that has reliable weather information.

dbregman

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried using the Gear Watch designer available for download from Samsung. It's pretty intuitive and easy to use and will allow you to create your own watch watchface. You can add different types of complications to the face.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
Hi

I've settled on this watch face which isnt too busy in regards to what it shows.

Is dark so helps with battery.

I've experienced no excessive battery drain.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180227-060014.jpg
    Screenshot_20180227-060014.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 25

michail71

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
I switched to the Gear Dashboard watch face but I was using the a 3rd party, GreenHighSport, for a very long time and sometimes switch back. It did not drain battery anymore so. I discovered Gear Dashboard could be customized for color and info which is why I switched.

For me, I HATE analog designs!! At 47 years old I'm too young to be able to read those darn things. :) It's a mini wrist computer, not jewelry. I want functional info that's easy to read. Function first! But I get it. People do like the analog look.

One discovery I made is that it's better to keep the watch face simple. Too much info just makes it hard to see, touch points are finicky, etc. You get much better function and less distraction by using widgets as opposed to trying to stuff it all on the watch face.