Charging Question

bigredgonzo

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
OK, here is my routine. I am one of those shower in the morning types. So I wake up, put my watch on the charger while I shower and get dressed and then put my watch back on until the next morning. Each morning the watch is about 3% to 4% less charged when I put it back on than the day before. This usually gives me a week or more before I actually take if off before bed and charge it overnight. Does anyone see any issues with this routine from a battery standpoint?

BigRedGonzo

jacksonlui

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
My watch face is always on and i get almost 3 days. I dont really have much loaded other than text message and phone notifications. I dont do much other than sit at my desk and commute via car. Not sure if lack of movement helps conserve battery life. I dont wear it to sleep, i just leave it uncharged

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
OK, here is my routine. I am one of those shower in the morning types. So I wake up, put my watch on the charger while I shower and get dressed and then put my watch back on until the next morning. Each morning the watch is about 3% to 4% less charged when I put it back on than the day before. This usually gives me a week or more before I actually take if off before bed and charge it overnight. Does anyone see any issues with this routine from a battery standpoint?

BigRedGonzo

When do you clean it? I wear mine 24/7 and in the shower so that it gets a good cleaning.

bigredgonzo

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
When do you clean it? I wear mine 24/7 and in the shower so that it gets a good cleaning.

Clean? What is this "Clean" that you speak of!?!?

I sometimes shower after work or after going to the gym and it comes along for the ride when I do that. Otherwise, I like the build up of dead skin, dirt and sweat. It seems very manly to me.

BRG

afblangley

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried turning the watch off before putting it on the charger? This will definitely charge it faster. And it may get rid of your top off problem.

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I have been turning my watch off at night and putting it on the charger. I don't like sleeping with accoutrements on my body so over night is the perfect time to charge it and not have to worry about running out of juice the next day. I wake up, get ready and put it on.

If this is bad for the battery? One would think these mini computers would be smart enough to prevent damage to the battery after they reach maximum charge.

I bet with with the watch off and on the charger it reaches full charge in about an hour or less. I suppose I could buy a timer that runs the charger for 1 hour and then shuts it down if this is a huge issue. However, the more I read, the over charging think is a reminent from the past when devices were not as smart and different types of batteries were used.

jacksonlui

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't think u can over charge with todays technology as long as you buy from mainstream brands like samsung. Overcharging can be dangerous with lithium ion batteries thus its important to have a legitimate battery management system which would be designed into the samsung ecosystem. I just leave it in the cradle just as i have my phone and laptop plugged in all the time.

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I don't think u can over charge with todays technology as long as you buy from mainstream brands like samsung. Overcharging can be dangerous with lithium ion batteries thus its important to have a legitimate battery management system which would be designed into the samsung ecosystem. I just leave it in the cradle just as i have my phone and laptop plugged in all the time.

You are probably right, of course, there are others that say the opposite.

I was thinking of getting one of these wifi Smart plugs that I could set it to give power to the charger for an hour each night say from 3 AM to 4 AM. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07434XJJG/?tag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6138053

An hour night time charge with the watch off would be plenty of time to charge it for the next day.

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
After the update, charging is presenting a problem. I charge overnight. I've noticed once the watch hits 100%, it starts discharging. I wake up to a 60% charged watch and the charger is blinking red. Hoping there will be an update for this. A couple of resets have not remedied the problem.

srayjacobs

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I have the note 8 and the gear s3. When i charge my phone by plugging it in the fast charge and put my watch on its charger at the same time they charge at the same rate. If my phone is at 50% and watch is 50% they both reach full charge at the same time.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
After the update, charging is presenting a problem. I charge overnight. I've noticed once the watch hits 100%, it starts discharging. I wake up to a 60% charged watch and the charger is blinking red. Hoping there will be an update for this. A couple of resets have not remedied the problem.

How about adjusting your charging time? Why not put it on the charger in the evening before bed. Then when it's charged take it off and put it on until it needs charging again.

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
How about adjusting your charging time? Why not put it on the charger in the evening before bed. Then when it's charged take it off and put it on until it needs charging again.
I like to leave the house with a 100% charge on all my devices. I've had experiences in the past of a rouge app draining a battery from near full to zero in a couple of hours.

Thinking of sleeping with the watch on and charging when I awake. That will give me enough time to reach 100% before I head out. I just have to change my thought process cause I'm use to taking my watch off within minutes of getting home.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I like to leave the house with a 100% charge on all my devices. I've had experiences in the past of a rouge app draining a battery from near full to zero in a couple of hours.

Thinking of sleeping with the watch on and charging when I awake. That will give me enough time to reach 100% before I head out. I just have to change my thought process cause I'm use to taking my watch off within minutes of getting home.

Understood. So, you've identified the rogue app and uninstalled it...so no more worry about the battery draining exceptionally fast.

If you're not sleeping with your watch on, how are you tracking your sleep pattern in order to improve the quality of your sleep, thereby improving your health?

If you're taking your watch off as soon as you get home anyway, throw it on the charger. By bedtime it will be charged, put it back on, put it in Do Not Disturb and the battery drain overnight will be minimal. You should be able to go at least 2 days in between charges. I leave the house with my S3 below 100% all the time. It's not really a big deal.