Can't select notifications in gear app

creekwater1482

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
I've noticed on multiple occasions that my incoming calls/messages/missed call options get "greyed out" and placed in the "off" position on the notification screen in the gear app. However, I can select any other app for notification without issue, it's those 3 specifically that won't work. Another issue I see is that if I try and move the "all apps" to "yes" it immediately reverts back to the "no" position for all my apps. Literally as soon as I lift my finger off the screen this happens. Usually when this has happened I've restarted the watch and seems to have cleared the issue up but this is no longer a fix. Obviously this is a huge pain in the @$$ as that's the biggest reason why I want a smart watch is to receive calls or messages. Anyone else noticed this before?

Gear s3 frontier LTE
Note 8
Att with number synch enabled

Suertetres

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed on multiple occasions that my incoming calls/messages/missed call options get "greyed out" and placed in the "off" position on the notification screen in the gear app. However, I can select any other app for notification without issue, it's those 3 specifically that won't work. Another issue I see is that if I try and move the "all apps" to "yes" it immediately reverts back to the "no" position for all my apps. Literally as soon as I lift my finger off the screen this happens. Usually when this has happened I've restarted the watch and seems to have cleared the issue up but this is no longer a fix. Obviously this is a huge pain in the @$$ as that's the biggest reason why I want a smart watch is to receive calls or messages. Anyone else noticed this before?

Gear s3 frontier LTE
Note 8
Att with number synch enabled

Have you had any luck with this? I am having the exact same issue, and now the watch gets really hot, goes into cool down mode. Resetting the phone and watch a few times usually fixes it, but that's a temp fix, I don't think this should be happening on a regular basis. It's getting to the point I don't trust my watch to notify me.

creekwater1482

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
Have you had any luck with this? I am having the exact same issue, and now the watch gets really hot, goes into cool down mode. Resetting the phone and watch a few times usually fixes it, but that's a temp fix, I don't think this should be happening on a regular basis. It's getting to the point I don't trust my watch to notify me.
I turned watch on and off a couple times and it turned notifications back on but, as you mentioned, that's a temp fix and doesn't address the core issue. My watch doesn't get hot like you're describing though. I turned off number sync and that didn't change anything. It happened prior to the tizen 3 update though so shouldn't be due to that either. I did a full reboot a few days ago and it still did it after that too so I honestly have no clue what is the issue.

It seems to occur when I lose my blue tooth connection. If I walk out of range and it disconnects then reconnect when in range, that seems to be when it happens...or maybe it's a coincidence that I notice it during that situation. Annoying as this is the core function of the watch imo.

wpfan2be

Apr 12, 2017
Visit site
Same issues here. Also every few days I stop getting notification on my Gear and when I go check on the Gear app just the basic notifications are on. Like mail, etc. So I have to turn them all on again...

wpfan2be

Apr 12, 2017
Visit site
so at this time I have to check every few hours because all notifications get un-selected in the Gear app. Really annoying. I think I'm done with the watch. Will be going up for sale soon....

creekwater1482

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
so at this time I have to check every few hours because all notifications get un-selected in the Gear app. Really annoying. I think I'm done with the watch. Will be going up for sale soon....
It's annoying. Issue just cropped up randomly again yesterday. Guess I should see if support can offer any suggestions but it's getting ridiculous.

itinj6

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
same issue here. Initially, I thought it was ATT number sync causing the issue because that randomly decides to disable itself throughout the day but made no sense since bluetooth should still work. Just checked my notification settings and had the important apps gray'd out. Went to cycle the "all apps" switch and now nothing is turning on. Ridiculous. This watch was great when I first got it a few months ago. Pretty much useless now...

itinj6

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Just noticed that most apps, while gray'd out, can still be switched on. The few that can't, of course the most important ones, are voicemail, missed call, messages, incoming call.

itinj6

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
^^^ Nevemind. Didn't realize I had to manually search for the Oreo update. Got it now, however. didn't fix the problem. Glad you had better luck so there is hope I guess. Gonna reset the watch and keep my fingers crossed...

wpfan2be

Apr 12, 2017
Visit site
^^^ Nevemind. Didn't realize I had to manually search for the Oreo update. Got it now, however. didn't fix the problem. Glad you had better luck so there is hope I guess. Gonna reset the watch and keep my fingers crossed...

Sorry to hear that. At&t S8+...

itinj6

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
This problem is definitely a function of Number Sync for me. When Number Sync decides to randomly turn itself off, i lose the notification options (grayed out). When I turn Number Sync back on, notifications automatically highlight and turn on.

rackumrack

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
This problem is definitely a function of Number Sync for me. When Number Sync decides to randomly turn itself off, i lose the notification options (grayed out). When I turn Number Sync back on, notifications automatically highlight and turn on.

Just noticed my numbersync was off as well. Reconnected to numbersync and all notifications are active.

creekwater1482

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
Just noticed my numbersync was off as well. Reconnected to numbersync and all notifications are active.
Wish I could say it's number sync for me. I've removed that and still wasn't able to resolve the issue. Oreo hasn't helped either. Occurred again today so factory reset the watch...again. I've loved my S3 and previous Sammy watches but between this, battery life being crap after tizen 2 update and now the most recent update (to fix the battery life which it hasn't) seems to have broken Samsung pay as well. Can't use it on my watch. Seems like more crap is wrong with my watch then works right.

itinj6

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
After some research, and this is apparently an issue with many users, Number Sync isnt randomly shutting itself off. It shuts off after breaking bluetooth connection.

Whats been working for me is manually going into the watch settings and turning Number Sync back on when bluetooth breaks and regains connection. The notifications automatically check back to the on position.

Now heres what I've been contemplating... it seems this is an issue with Number Sync. Not sure exactly how it works, but of anyone can enlighten me if this works off the phone's data. Is ATT purposely doing this so you end up using more watch data? because my watch's phone number works fine when this issue arises...

creekwater1482

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
After some research, and this is apparently an issue with many users, Number Sync isnt randomly shutting itself off. It shuts off after breaking bluetooth connection.

Whats been working for me is manually going into the watch settings and turning Number Sync back on when bluetooth breaks and regains connection. The notifications automatically check back to the on position.

Now heres what I've been contemplating... it seems this is an issue with Number Sync. Not sure exactly how it works, but of anyone can enlighten me if this works off the phone's data. Is ATT purposely doing this so you end up using more watch data? because my watch's phone number works fine when this issue arises...
I initially thought it was number synch but I've turned that feature off before and I had the notification issue persist so not sure how to explain that. It's an annoying issue that's for sure.

tryzub

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I've not had good luck with Number Sync in this regard. You can't merely turn it off. That's what causes the problem. You have to either 1) deactivate it or 2) do as others have said and make sure it's enabled after losing BT connection. I'm cuídalo mine again. It's too much hassle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt