Sorting through all the Health Apps

michail71

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
I can't quite decide if I should just stick to Samsung Health or go with Record, MapMyRun, Edomond, MapMyFitness, etc.

For the most part they all seem to do basically the same things with the exception of some specific exercises and where they log the data. They seem basically cut from the same app template. With syncing the data can just about go everywhere anyway.

castone001

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I have been using Endomondo for years. I love it but probably because I have been using it for so long. Samsung health wasn't as good as it appears to be now though. I should take another look.

michail71

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
One thing I realized about Samsung Health on the watch is that it takes a few more unobvious steps to start an activity. Where as the others take you right to the start activity. After that they are all very similar.

michail71

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Well, I found I can use MapMyRun with much less fuss. The s Health takes way too much pre-activity setup to use just before starting an activity.

michail71

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
I take back what I said about the Samsung Health app. The widgets for it are great!

They offer a very fast and easy way to start logging. I just wish they had basic strength training/weight lifting as options.

ashune

Feb 4, 2018
Visit site
I'm pretty satisfied with Google Fit. It can also sync data with other fitness apps, like the ones you mentioned.

michail71

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
It has been a while since I used google fit. I'll throw that back in the mix and see how it does. Although my original post was more about the app on the watch. I don't think google fit has a watch app. I have been running Samsung Health on the watch and then syncing with the other apps.

MapMyRun seems to mostly sync. I just have one run that refused to sync to it.

UA Record seems to have a mind of it's own despite them all being under the UA brand. Endomondo doesn't seem to fully sync both ways.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I use Samsung Health mostly as a hub. It can sync to stuff like Lifesum, Endomondo, etc. Don't like how Samsung health does some stuff? It's ok. But you can use it to integrate all the data from several apps at the same time. Sure use Endomondo for recording excercises and Lifesum for meals/calorie counts. When you open Samsung Health all the data from both apps are presented combined with total calories burnt, ate how much water and coffee intake you had, then take your pulse and blood O2 as well. With the S9 it includes blood pressure too.

anon(463177)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Depends on how hard you track. I just look at distance, speed, and time while exercising. Don't care to sync. And I found a screen on the watch that shows specific exercises. I just swipe to that and pick and it works.

ol_jackburton

Trusted Member
Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
What is UA Record's deal. I only care about tracking runnung, was thinking about going with Map My Run but for some reason the idea of using UA Record keeps creeping into my mind. I am just confused by what the purpose or difference is between all of these UA apps.

I have been using the SHealth app (and app on my Gear S3) however the data sync between Strava and S-Health is a bit funky.

michail71

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
What is UA Record's deal. I only care about tracking runnung, was thinking about going with Map My Run but for some reason the idea of using UA Record keeps creeping into my mind. I am just confused by what the purpose or difference is between all of these UA apps.

I have been using the SHealth app (and app on my Gear S3) however the data sync between Strava and S-Health is a bit funky.

Health apps always have a funky sync. Mostly it usually works. I had one run that took two weeks to show up.

I just wish they's give us a "sync now" button.

I think UA must be buying up all the apps so they can get their branding out and have marketing exclusivity through those channels. But it is confusing when they all mostly do the same thing in slightly different ways.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I take back what I said about the Samsung Health app. The widgets for it are great!

They offer a very fast and easy way to start logging. I just wish they had basic strength training/weight lifting as options.

Yeah, I just use the "Other" option.

jrskelni

Mar 29, 2018
Visit site
Which health app has 'crossfit' as an option? SHealth just has 'other', Endomondo doesnt' have it. I don't want to change my workout everytime I move from the treadmill to the rower to the gym, etc.... I do Orange Theory but it's one of many crossfit places.

michail71

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
A couple small tweaks to SHealth would definitely make it better. It would be great if they let us customize the workout options that could then go to the widget. What they offer as options now is both too complex and at the same time incomplete.

I heard the old Microsoft watch was great at that stuff but they killed it off.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I heard the old Microsoft watch was great at that stuff but they killed it off.

The MS Band 2 and Health Dashboard is still the best featured fitness tracker/website combo. You can create your own or download a workout to the Band and then follow along.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
batsam