Still a good buy? Vs Gear sport?

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi all, considering this watch or a gear sport. Leaving my beloved pebble finally. Is the s3 frontier still a good buy?

Anyone swap or exchange or have a comparison between this and the gear sport? I'm between the two.

Is it comfortable to wear when sleeping? I need a vibrating alarm.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I think the S3 is still a great buy. No reason to pay full price though. It's on sale somewhere pretty much ever week.

As far as S3 or Sport, it depends on preference. They are both great. I like the S3 size. It's a little irratating when wearing dress shirts that have smaller cuff openings, but it's not an issue with most of my shirts. I sleep with my watch S3 on. Doesn't bother me at all. Again, that's me though.

I was using an Apple Watch with my iPhone and while the AW is lighter and more comfortable to sleep with, I will take the S3 every day of the week and twice on Sunday. It's a better looking watch in every way and feels so well built. Oh and that dial? Nothing on the market can touch that. The S3 is the best smartwatch on the market if you ask me.

Bottom line, it's still a good buy at a discounted price. You should be able to find it from $50-75 off retail assuming you're in the US. Good luck.

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Just received my s3 classic. Paid a little more for the classic than the frontier because I wear a suit 5 days a week and the classic will play the part better. But I love the look of the frontier. Since work is paying for it, I figured I'd make a small sacrifice in looks, especially since all else is equal.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
The Gear Sport actually loses features compared to the S3. The Sport is meant to replace the S2 which was still sold for a while as a 'cheaper' alternative to the S3.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
The Gear Sport actually loses features compared to the S3. The Sport is meant to replace the S2 which was still sold for a while as a 'cheaper' alternative to the S3.
I believe that the only feature you lose out on is with Samsung Pay. The S3 can read the magnetic strip reader and the Sport can't.

The Sport doesn't come in an LTE varient either. However, you do gain better waterproofing with the Sport if those things are important to someone.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I believe that the only feature you lose out on is with Samsung Pay. The S3 can read the magnetic strip reader and the Sport can't.

The Sport doesn't come in an LTE varient either. You also gain better waterproofing with the Sport if those things are important to someone.
I think the Sport also does not have a Mic. But all in all, the lack of those features plus the smaller size allows Samsung to make it slightly cheaper than the S3.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I think the Sport also does not have a Mic. But all in all, the lack of those features plus the smaller size allows Samsung to make it slightly cheaper than the S3.
I think you're correct. No mic on the Sport. The sport is a good option for some people. I tried one on and it was a little more comfortable, but the few features that are missing matter to me personally. I like my S3. We will see what the S4 brings, but I'm happy for now.