I've heard from several people who have swam with their S3 and, in one case, dived with their watch and had no problems. Is there anyone out there who HAS swam and had it damage their watch? Trying to get a feel for whether this is a 'real' problem or not so I can get into the pool with the watch. Diving? Not so much...
    07-16-2018 07:39 AM
    This is from Samsung. The S3 is not intended for swimming. You may get lucky, but don't be too surprised if you ruin your watch. Just because one person tells a story of it surviving doesn't mean yours will or that theirs would on a second attempt.

That being said, mine has been in the rain a number of times and certainly been wet from sweat on almost a daily basis while working out. No issues, but that's very different than being under water.
    07-16-2018 11:04 AM
    Good compamy response.
    07-16-2018 12:33 PM
    I have rinsed mine off under a running faucet with no issues, but I'm still hesitant to wear it in the pool.
    07-16-2018 02:22 PM
    I think the risk in the pool is the pressure under water. Possibly the chemicals as well. I wouldn't risk it, but I'm sure other people have.
    07-16-2018 03:05 PM
    I've taken my frontier in the ocean and pool. It's still ticking but it's probably not a good idea.
    07-16-2018 10:11 PM
    I have a gear S2 and personally have never had any problems in any pool. However, a massive tip would be never take the risk with salt water. I has an s7 edge which is ip68 and survived multiple times in pool water with no issues, but when I took it to some salt water one day, it never turned on again and needed a logic board replacement.
    07-17-2018 01:41 AM
    I've heard from several people who have swam with their S3 and, in one case, dived with their watch and had no problems. Is there anyone out there who HAS swam and had it damage their watch? Trying to get a feel for whether this is a 'real' problem or not so I can get into the pool with the watch. Diving? Not so much...
    I wear mine in the shower quite a bit but I have not tried swimming with it. I was curious about trying it myself.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    07-17-2018 08:30 AM
    Water pressure at 1.5 meters is about 2.2psi. Water from a running faucet is at least 10psi. Forcing your hand through the water when swimming can generate over 30 psi. So either of those far exceeds the IP68 rating of resistance to 2.2psi of water.

The watch should be okay if it's at 1.5 meters, but dropping it into 1.5 inches of water could force enough water into it to ruin it. It's not waterproof. If a little water gets splashed on it - say from spilling your drink, it's probably going to survive, but if you take it swimming, wash your hands while wearing it, take a shower while wearing it - you're outside the design parameters and could ruin the watch.
    Itsa_Me_Mario and cwbcpa like this.
    07-17-2018 12:10 PM
    Water pressure at 1.5 meters is about 2.2psi. Water from a running faucet is at least 10psi. Forcing your hand through the water when swimming can generate over 30 psi. So either of those far exceeds the IP68 rating of resistance to 2.2psi of water.

The watch should be okay if it's at 1.5 meters, but dropping it into 1.5 inches of water could force enough water into it to ruin it. It's not waterproof. If a little water gets splashed on it - say from spilling your drink, it's probably going to survive, but if you take it swimming, wash your hands while wearing it, take a shower while wearing it - you're outside the design parameters and could ruin the watch.
    This. Add to this that chemicals (chlorine, salt, alcohol, etc), temperature swings, any sort of impact or movement, etc. are NOT addressed by any of the testing conditions and obviously no conditions are warrantied. The other thing that's not tested: using it while wet. When they do the test, they POWER IT OFF and then lower it into the water, wait the time limit, pull it out, DRY IT OFF, only then do they turn it on. Finally, the image above where they say that their IP68 test also includes the former levels... that's absolutely false from an industry standard standpoint. If they're saying that they did all 8 liquid tests, ok .. but that's not implied by only doing the IPX8 test submersion test.
    07-17-2018 12:46 PM
    I wear mine in the shower all the time. Went to a water park last Friday and it handled the water fine.
    07-17-2018 12:57 PM
    Some days I wish I was still a Pebbler. 7 day battery life and waterproof. OH well. I'll not.

Thanks for the input, folks!
    11B1P likes this.
    07-18-2018 08:43 AM
    I know each person's experience will vary, but I have gone swimming/showered with mine since launch. I have not had any issues. I don't recall if I have used in salt water though.
    08-13-2018 10:25 AM