Which apps are most useful to you?

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I've had my S3 Frontier for a week now. I'm a big watch fan and honestly would be happy if all it did was let me change faces. However I've found it much more useful than I expected.

So far the email and text notifications have been my favorites. The ability to check notifications and just keep doing whatever I'm doing without stopping to take my phone out of my pocket has been the most helpful. Being able to reply with short quick text or voice response is also a big plus.

The only apps I've added and found useful so far are the Spotify app and Samsung pay. So I'm wondering what apps you find useful day-to-day? I stay fairly busy all day and really appreciate technology that can help me be more efficient.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I honestly don't use any 3rd party apps. Like you, I use the message and email functions most. I also use S Health for workout tracking. One of my favorite features is the "show on phone" in the notifications. I really like that I can see a notification, select show on phone, and by the time I get to my phone, the app is open and ready for me to take action. That's way more useful than trying to use an app on my wrist.

I have used the Gear S2 and S3 and also used the Apple watch. I just don't find apps useful on the wrist. In my opinion, the Gear S3 is the best smartwatch experience. It does exactly what I would need or expect from a wearable. I'll be interested in the next Galaxy Watch to see if it brings something I didn't think of.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Text messaging, calculator, stopwatch, timer, Samsung Pay.

If you work out, take a look at Workout Trainer by Skimble in the Gear store. The app for your phone has a companion app for your S3. Start a workout on your phone and open the app on your watch and you can follow along with your watch. If you have ear buds in, your coach will tell you each step of the way what to do next.

Last edited:

MarineDawg

May 7, 2017
Visit site
I would have to say aside from notifications; timer, weather, music player, and the workout function in SHealth. All stock apps but these are the ones I use at least once a day.

NYCMetsPDX

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
Definitely enjoy having Pear Sports, Gear Navigator and Radar on the watch, all are great third party apps I use frequently.

buffalosolja

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Text messaging, calculator, stopwatch, timer.

If you work out, take a look at Skimble in the Gear store. The app for your phone has a companion app for your S3. Start a workout on your phone and open the app on your watch and you can follow along with your watch. If you have ear buds in, your coach will tell you each step of the way what to do next.

Thanks for that!!!! I just hate that I have to almost cut off circulation on my S3 when I workout to keep heart rate sensor working.

DaWeav

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Definitely Notifications is the greatest feature having the Gear S3 strapped to my wrist! Then;

First, I wanted a watchface that shows weather and lots of other information, so I'm running my own designed watchface using WatchMaker.

Then there are Samsung's add-on apps, Calculator, Speedometer for Gear, Find my Car, and Gear Voice Memo.

Theater Mode (widget) is a must have since Samsung offers no native synchronization at all when you put your connected phone in silent mode to also dim and silence the Gear S3 as well.

And finally, Wearable Widgets for Gear since Samsung's incapable of making a Samsung SmartThings Gear app worth anything so I just have the SmartThings 'Classic' phone widget setup in Wearable widgets.

Update: I forgot to mention Samsung Pay! I can go work out (guess I should have mentioned Samsung Health too), but I don't have to take my wallet with me to pay for anything since I just use the Gear S3. I just wish my AMEX card would stay locked in though.

Last edited:

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions, I've added the Calculator, Find my car, and Voice memo so far.

I keep searching the watch faces and have found a few favorite builders. I really like the faces from SWF, YP, and KT I'm finding on the Galaxy App store. Anyone else have a few favorite builders?

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Notifications. And AOD from utilities section of the app store. Keeps the watchface on during charging. Will be useful when travelling. Less "gear" to lugg around on local airlines.

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Notifications and Samsung Pay w/ MST. People are often impressed seeing me use the watch to pay on non-NFC terminals, not that it matters to me.

azjerry

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
Notifications. And AOD from utilities section of the app store. Keeps the watchface on during charging. Will be useful when travelling. Less "gear" to lugg around on local airlines.

I can't figure out which AOD to pick from the apps store. None seem to deal with the face while charging.