I finally convinced my wife to ditch her blackberry and give Android a shot. She seems pretty excited about it. We were planning on picking her up the Samsung Intercept this Sunday, but something I saw in the Sprint press release was a little concerning. It says that the Intercept will have an EVDO Rev. 0 radio. There are only 2 reasons I can think of that this would be done -- to lower hardware costs, or to minimize data usage by the user. I can't imagine a Rev. 0 radio would be much cheaper than a Rev. A radio. They have even been putting Rev. A radios in feature phones for the past couple of years. Also, the Intercept requires the Everything Data or Simply Everything plans from Sprint (their two highest-end, all-you-can-eat data plans), so if they're doing this as an underhanded way to lower average data usage across the Intercept userbase, I think it's a pretty shady thing to do. I realize we're dealing with an entry-level Android device, but that being said, it's a modern-day smartphone that requires a full-fledged smartphone data plan. Can we not expect it to come with the same or better cellular data hardware as a feature phone they give away for free?

Or maybe it was just a typo in the press release. I hope so.
    07-08-2010 09:34 AM
    It is Rev 0, not Rev A, that was not a typo. I'm sure it was done to save costs, but consider that this brand new phone - with a better keyboard than the Moment, much thinner than the Moment, same camera as the Moment, and same processor as the Moment - is $80 less than the Moment is currently. It's a value phone, plain and simple.

According to Wikipedia, Rev A brings the burst data rate from 2.45 to 3.1Mbit/sec... big deal. My wife just bought one, and I was glad to save the $80, knowing it had the Rev 0 antenna.
    07-13-2010 05:20 PM
    4 Reasons to get the Moment over the Intercept

1.) The Moment has Rev A, the intercept has Rev 0
    2.) The Moment has the standard resolution of 320 x 480 which developers have been developing for since the G1 first came out. The Intercept has this wacky 240 x 400 resolution that is already showing problems for apps.
    3.) The Moment comes with SEPARATE charger and Data Cable (this is HUGE for me as i leave the data cable for charging at home and keep the charger in my bag for charging on the road.)
    4.) The moment comes with headphones.

3 reasons to get the Intercept over the Moment

1.) The Intercept is smaller, rounder, and more pocket friendly.
    2.) The Intercept will get 2.2/Froyo officially. The Moment will not.
    3.) The Intercept has the "better" (this could be debated...we will see) keyboard.
    07-14-2010 11:35 AM
    The quality controls for the moment were questionable. Some restart and others go randomly into air plane mode. It might as well be a beta phone.

Something often not mentioned about Rev.0 is that data is sent OR received, which means that it cannot do both simultaneously. This comes in handy if you use the GPS navigation feature of your phone or enjoy two-way streaming.

While some might dislike the Intercept due to older technology, it still is one of the better phones available under $100. The other contenders are the BB Curve, Samsung Moment, and the Palm Pixi.
    07-14-2010 12:26 PM
    My wife just got one to replace her flaky pixi.

The battery life is much better than the pixi, and the Google navigation works well.

It isn't as nice as my evo, but I never expected that and she wanted qwerty.
    07-17-2010 12:24 PM
    if i remember correctly i think the htc mogul out of the box was rev 0 but there was a software update later that made it rev a is there a chance that some one could do the same for the intercept like maybe a radio hack
    07-20-2010 11:02 PM
    The Intercept has multi-touch whilst the Moment does not. 8GB of built in memory and a memory card slot is nothing to scoff at either.
    07-30-2010 03:32 AM
    im glad i got this over this over the moment
    07-30-2010 07:12 AM
    Well my girl doesn't like this phone so I'm returning it. Getting her an Evo instead. The internet is way too slow for her.
    07-31-2010 10:05 AM
    It is now rev a
    09-23-2010 07:37 PM
    It is now rev a
    what is now rev a the intercept
    09-24-2010 03:42 PM
    wheres the info?
    09-26-2010 12:51 AM
    not true - there is no information that there is a software update to push this from Rev0 to RevA...

this quite possibly could be a hardware issue and this will never change.
    09-26-2010 08:24 AM
    not true - there is no information that there is a software update to push this from Rev0 to RevA...

this quite possibly could be a hardware issue and this will never change.
    My mistake for believing a sprint tech (I should know better by now). Sorry.
    09-27-2010 09:48 AM
    Samsung Intercept™ Full QWERTY Cell Phone | Samsung Mobile
    Why does it say EVDO Rev A on the specs page?
    11-04-2010 01:35 PM
    Samsung Intercept™ Full QWERTY Cell Phone | Samsung Mobile
    Why does it say EVDO Rev A on the specs page?
    Only thing I can think of, is that there are 2 different revisions of the phone. Some of the spec pages show a 600mhz processor (and lots of people complaining about unresponsive buttons), and other pages showing an 800mhz processor.

I am still looking into the specific differences between the two models (or it's just to differentiate the VM and the Sprint editions). I don't experience any of the button lag, but I also have the 800mhz processor.
    In my "About" dialog, it shows as the Hardware Version as M910.05. Maybe the .05 is the 800mhz and Rev A??

Does anyone have anything different?
    11-04-2010 02:26 PM
    I can confirm it is running on rev 0 on virgin mobile.
    11-05-2010 08:56 AM
    Only thing I can think of, is that there are 2 different revisions of the phone. Some of the spec pages show a 600mhz processor (and lots of people complaining about unresponsive buttons), and other pages showing an 800mhz processor.

I am still looking into the specific differences between the two models (or it's just to differentiate the VM and the Sprint editions). I don't experience any of the button lag, but I also have the 800mhz processor.
    In my "About" dialog, it shows as the Hardware Version as M910.05. Maybe the .05 is the 800mhz and Rev A??

Does anyone have anything different?
    My Sprint Intercept has M910.05. It's a little slower then my Moment, but not a big deal. At least I don't have data loss.

Sent from my Samsung Intercept using Tapatalk.
    11-05-2010 09:05 AM
    12-11-2010 10:21 PM
    i know that there have been several phone that have recieved ota updates for radio features such as the G1, HTC Touch/Vogue, etc

How-To Get GPS/Rev A on Sprint Touch - PPCGeeks

that's the one for the touch
    12-17-2010 12:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD