Tethering a Rooted VM Intercept - Where to start?

zeth006

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Hey all,

Zeth here with a question. I just finished rooting my VM Intercept last night and was hoping to get started on taking advantage of the fact that my phone is more or less open for modding.

I'm aware that rooted Androids can now be tethered, or in laymen's terms, used to transmit a wifi signal to wifi-capable devices such as laptops. But the problem is that I'm a complete nub in this area. I simply don't know where to start!

I rooted my phone using this guide here on SDX forums. The search feature on that forum doesn't work for me and the guide doesn't provide any easy-to-understand tips on what to do to enable tethering.

Could someone please shed some light here? I've tried searching but haven't found any threads that are detailed enough. Do I need to install any additional apps to enable tethering, or is it already enabled on my phone via one of the many ROMs that I installed? Are there any additional devices I need to purchase so that I can enable my phone to transmit the wifi signal?

Thanks in advance! :confused:

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
If you're already rooted, than just download "Barnacle" and you should be good to go.

If you're not rooted, or don't want to root, you can use programs like "Pdanet", but those are wired tethers (and not free to get more advanced programs like httpS).

EducateAndinnovate

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Use EasyTether for wired Tethering

:D

So far, I used EasyTether for wired Tethering.

I found that Easythether Lite is very easy to install and easy to use. It does not need root access to phone and it is free.

Please read more about it at:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mstream.easytether_beta&feature=search_result

The Developer is MobileStream. Their web site is:

How to tether Android - EasyTether. Android tethering for Mac OS X, Ubuntu, Fedora, PS3, XBox, Wii, Windows

The drivers for PC are at:

EasyTether - Android Tether Solution

First, download and install 2 set of drivers for PC.

Then, download and install EasyTether Lite on you Android Phone.
Run Easythther Lite App on your phone and follow on screen instructions. That was easy!
Have your USB cable handly as this is a wired Tethering.

There is also a Bluetooth Tethering option available. That does not need any App on your phone or any software on your PC / Tablet. Your PC / Tablet needs Bluetooth on it. Please read below link:

Samsung Intercept - New Intercept Owner with question about QUICK SETTINGS app

:D

crickie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem and it was real easy to fix. I have a PC running Windows 7 32 bit ( an upgrade) and downloaded EVERY possible piece of software out there to help connect. No luck. Then I found an old USB 4 port mini hub ( runs at a slower speed than my PC) and connected it.( Windows 7 will auto install it) Then connect the phone to the mini hub. Don't let Window 7 run the hub at a higher speed, and ignore any pop up warnings about the slow speed. You need it slower for the phone connection. If you don't have an old mini hub you can probably find one at Goodwill or at your local Flea Market. If you've run out of patience with everything else, this will work. I promise.

Jthellraiser

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I dont know if the op is still looking for answers but if he installs bROM the is a wifi tether app that when you switch the device id, its the first option under the settings, to epic 4g it lets you broadcast in infrastructure mode which if you computer didnt pick up before, because it was ad-hoc and it seems only a limited amount of computers and such will see that mode, it will now. you can add a password to the network and change the ssid. works wonderful for me. hope this was helpfull :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol